Evosyn.1238

Hey all,

I’m having a stuttering issue in game. I have the following specs:

• i5-6600k
  • XFX R9 390 DD Black Edition (8gb ram)
  • 8gb DDR4 ram
  • Game is installed on a Samsung 250gb SSD that has tons of space available

The issue:
While running or moving the camera, I get random small stutters that don’t affect game play too terribly, but can be slightly annoying. It is camera related, so this leads me to believe there’s an issue with the LOD. In groups of 30+ with effects turned on, I do just fine with a decent 40fps. Outside of that, solo roaming I get 70-80fps at 2k resolution.

Game settings:
2k Full screen
Everything set to high or ultra
All extras on
V-sync disabled

Any ideas? Guild wars is the only game that does it. I’ve been playing other games at max settings just fine (well, besides elite dangerous, but that has a known AMD issue)

Things I have already tried:

• Reinstalling drivers
  • cleaning drivers with DDU and reinstalling
  • Validating GPU for errors with benchmarks and OCCT

Don’t think it is hardware related since other games run fine and temps are all well within normal.

Thanks!

Stuttering On High End PC

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Nitro.4732

Nitro.4732

Hi Evosyn,

Guild Wars 2, is a very CPU intensive game and therefor although your PC is capable of running many other games at high settings, you’ll be surprised to find even High end computers can easily get bogged down when it comes to running this game.

Firstly I would advise that any setting you have that says “Ultra” I would turn down a notch to “High”. Ultra uses no optimisations and will cost the most FPS to be traded off for little in return.

Secondly Reflections on High was known to be bugged when set to ALL however I am not sure if this ever got resolved so, I personally turn this down or off completely as it uses far too much resources for the minimum bump in eye candy it offers.

Additionally you can lower the Character Limit settings which will cause less players on screen to be drawn when there are lots. drawing characters on screen is quite cpu intensive, therefor a few less players on screen won’t be missed for the advantage gained in FPS.

other settings, such as “Post Processing”, “Light Adaptation”, and “Ambient Occulusion” are normally good to disable in favour of FPS.

Finally, if you visit your account page on this website you can download the 64-bit beta executable for launching Guild Wars. It will allow you to use the full 8 GB of memory and may also help with performance and stability of the game.

Kind regards,

~Nitro

CoolerMaster Masterbox 5 | H110i | AMD Ryzen R7 1800x 4.0GHz | 32GB DDR4
512GB Samsung 950pro | 2TB SATA-3 | AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB

(edited by Nitro.4732)

Posted by: Evosyn.1238

Evosyn.1238

Hi Evosyn,

Guild Wars 2, is a very CPU intensive game and therefor although your PC is capable of running many other games at high settings, you’ll be surprised to find even High end computers can easily get bogged down when it comes to running this game.

Hey thanks, that’s really informative. I’ll work on some different combinations of the settings you mentioned and see what happens!

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

You could try turning the Shader Cache off in Nvidia Control Panel. It caches the data onto your HDD or SSD, and thus every time it goes to access it, you get that freeze effect. It is meant to save your CPU from having to do the same calculations again, however sometimes accessing from HDD or SSD is slower than the CPU. Not in every game will it be a problem. In fact I bet the reason why GW2 is impacting you, is because your resolution is 2K, combining with the caching of the shader data onto your drive.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

(edited by Loli Ruri.8307)