Sudden drops in FPS.

Sudden drops in FPS.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: TheDarkSoul.1938

TheDarkSoul.1938

Hi there guys. Basically title. I’ve been playing the game for a while after buying my new PC (I used to play at release with an older one but it played the game very poorly and eventually not at all) and at first had no issues. I play mainly WvW and unless in very large zergs, my PC would run it great at high graphics, and FLAWLESSLY at mid graphics.

However, for at least a year, I started experiencing periodic drops in FPS. They aren’t random – they occur consistently and don’t seem to require any sort of “thing” to happen. I wondered at first if I was just missing something and perhaps there were zergs or something nearby, but after playing around alot (I even put my graphics to lowest) I can be standing alone, in a completely empty map with NO zergs in late at night, and have my FPS fluctuate around 90 and then suddenly drop to 30-35, then back up again after a few seconds.

Now, having 30 FPS for me isn’t so bad if playing WvW, in fact if I got that during busier times and there were alot of zergs running around I’d EXPECT to get that. But the fact that my PC is clearly capable of running the game at 60+ frames, yet for some reason drops to well below that for seemingly no reason at all, confuses me. The main issue I have here is that because my top-end frames are obviously lower at peak times, when these frame drops occur, if I’m anywhere near a zerg or larger group of players my frames drop sometimes to 20 or even below that for a few seconds until it corrects itself. It means that I have to avoid going near these larger groups basically all the time because during the frame drops my gameplay is pretty heavily effected.

Does anyone have this issue, and if so, any ideas on how to fix it? I have no idea what’s causing it. It occurs no matter what graphics settings I’m on (Auto-detect puts my graphics on almost highest, and my game runs pretty much perfectly besides when these drops occur) and regardless of game mode – it happens in PvP and PvE as well.

Any answers at all would be greatly appreciated, thankyou!

Fissure Of Woe – [lpe]
I Silent – Thief
…. That’s about it.

Sudden drops in FPS.

Posted by: lilypop.7819

lilypop.7819

Sounds like your internet connection is dropping bandwidth, is it shared? Some cheap ISP providers may give you random bandwidth dips as well.

You need to monitor your PC internet download data rates and see if the dips correspond to the fps dips – you can do this crudely with the task manager graphics ` you can also expect dips in cpu loading as well if this is the cause. Would certainly rule this out before doing anything to your PC.

If you are using WiFi be aware there are things in the environment that can distribute the 2.4Ghz channel – you can actually switch to an alternative channel on the same frequency. However it is not unknown for a simple light switch or thermostat to briefly jigger a wi-fi signal.

Anyway check that the problem is within the PC and not outside it!

Note, if you have Win 10 it is simple and harmless to engage Game Mode – suggested as may be an easy cure. Who knows…

(edited by lilypop.7819)

Sudden drops in FPS.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Connection doesn’t affect fps; usually you would note the high ping.

I would say turn down reflections and shadows, but as you noted that this happens no matter what, you probably want to monitor your temperatures while the game is running.

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

And check yourself for malware https://www.malwarebytes.com/

However, depending on your computer, chances are there is nothing you can do; there are some areas in the game that just kill performance for seemingly no reason.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)