Suggestion - Ascended gear and hacking

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Aku Punksha.1542

Aku Punksha.1542

I will preface by saying I had a rich account – it got hacked – I got restored but they keep going after it. Currently hacked again but while they will get about 40 gold or not even 1% of the first hack what they are likely to do is sell all ascended weapons for 1 gold, all ascended armour for 2s and all ascended trinkets for 4s. In fact of the 40 gold they will get about half that from selling my ascended weapons.

I will not be requesting a 2nd rollback – they are rarely granted and neither should they be. It does frustrate me though that items that take so much time and effort to make as “best in class” are not better protected when they are also not economy threatening (ie can’t be traded but for some reason can be merched). The idea for wvw weapons / armour was / is hacker proof – can’t sell and can’t salvage. The ascended gear goes half way there – cannot salvage, but it doesn’t close the deal on cannot sell.

2 options spring to mind for Anet to act on this.

1) Make ascended items time gated so that you can only sell one per day

2) Keep ascended items sellable but make the seller have to type out the name of the item as is needed now to dump boxes of fun and other account bound items

That would prevent hackers selling much if any ascended gear – they are under time pressure and only want what can be quickly clicked. It also means that people will still have a lot of stuff when they pick up devastated accounts.

My situation – yeah, hacked twice despite doing everything I thought I could. I will next week have to step down from ascended (best in class) and start playing all wvw items. This topic is not about getting anything back – it is about helping the next wave of people. I will take the step down and stop all ascended crafting on all accounts, but many faced with this would probably just leave the game. That is why I want Anet to follow through with this idea.

Regards
Hacked and Depressed.

Posted by: bradldz.3728

bradldz.3728

I thought hackers tend to delete characters anyway so it wouldn’t make a difference? Also they could still just destroy your armor :/ I don’t think there is much anet can do in these cases I’m afraid.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

What is stopping hackers from deleting characters is that they have to type the names.

It is too much work and doesn’t really provide any benefits to profits.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: bradldz.3728

bradldz.3728

I have read lots of cases of people being hacked sharing it on these forums now and a lot of them say their characters got deleted.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

The solution is to stop getting hacked. If they have access to your e-mail and password, even after you recover and change them, then somethings one on your end.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Being hacked 2 times quickly is an indication that they have access to your email account and you are not aware of it. Ditch your old email account if it’s been hacked (if they have your email address, they have half of what they need to get into your account).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances