Suggestion: GW2 to work on Linux by itself

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Pockethole.5031

Pockethole.5031

Please make GW2 work on Linux as well, just like it works on windows.
I hope people will not suggest alternative programs (pointing at this post) to make it work on Linux,
I’m purely suggesting GW2 staff will make the game work on Linux in addition to Windows.

Only reason I can think of are frustrated Linux users who switch to Windows so they can play GW2. I’m typical Windows user myself.

Please take my suggestion into consideration.

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Not gonna’ happen. They aren’t going to make a specific (native) Linux build. However, GW2 will run fine on Wine:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2_on_Wine

Posted by: Espionage.3685

Espionage.3685

No complains here (kind of hard pressed to see why anyone would be against such a suggestion really unless Linux killed their family or something). But I doubt it’ll happen in the foreseeable future.

They barely even have an OS X version of GW2. GW2 has no native OpenGL backend currently (afaik; the OS X version runs on a fork of Wine).

Posted by: Nitro.4732

Nitro.4732

Guild Wars 2 uses Microsoft DirectX 9 which restricts the game to windows operating systems. Both Mac OSX and Linux are able to run the game using a technology called WINE.

The Mac OSX client that Arenanet released is just a fancy wrapper that runs the game in wine, making the client look native when its actually not.

Linux is a bit more tricky to do the same effect as unlike Mac OSX there are many derivitives of Linux each with their own variations. This doesn’t mean that you can’t have the same effect on your Linux installation, only that you’ll need to do a bit more leg work to set up wine first for Linux.

CoolerMaster Masterbox 5 | H110i | AMD Ryzen R7 1800x 4.0GHz | 32GB DDR4
512GB Samsung 950pro | 2TB SATA-3 | AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB

(edited by Nitro.4732)