Text Limit Glitch [Highly Technical]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Dragon Ruler X.8512

Dragon Ruler X.8512

Ran across this recently after my computer crashed (hardware failure, unrelated to gw2).
Note: I have NOT attempted the " -repair" target alteration yet, but I will tonight and I’ll provide an update shortly after 10:00PM CST.

After the crash I had to reload everything and when doing so I decided to bring in a few other features to help streamline the functions of my gaming experience. I downloaded the new “Razer Cortex” (similar to “Razer Game Booster” if you’re aware of that – this is an upgraded version akin to “Steam” – it has not been fully released to the public and is in beta [works great imo]), and I also brought in the “Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit” (used to create bypasses for the UAC prompt – downloaded from Microsoft). I followed the instructions listed here and I noticed that I am now seeing something similar to Unicode number: U+00CA or HTML-code: Ê when the character length of any given player’s name + nickname exceeds the total allowed in the “Name” column of any guild roster (I tested this by altering a friend’s nickname who wasn’t showing this new “E” symbol and noted that the symbol then appeared similar to my attachment). I also found this same symbol in my crafting dialogue box (seen in gw006 with the “Plate of Piquant Plante Food (Rare)” line).

Is this something caused by incorrect settings within these programs on my end or is this a functionality issue of Gw2 atm?

If a dev can get back to me on this that’d be great!

Thanks!
Dragon

P.S: I thought it was funny that I captured a gold bot in my screen shot. I didn’t even attempt to catch that lol.

Attachments:

(edited by Dragon Ruler X.8512)

Posted by: tota.4893

tota.4893

Your highly technical tinkering probably has nothing to do with the strange symbols.

Looking at the screenshots, I think your interface size (in graphics options) is set to “large”. Try setting it back to “normal”; the setting has been bugged ever since it was added (think it was during one of the betas) and at least the “large” setting is known to cause broken character rendering like that.

Posted by: Dragon Ruler X.8512

Dragon Ruler X.8512

It seems that after the -repair was used I did NOT get any fixes for this glitch. I did, however, try what tota mentioned and within the small and normal interface sizes saw that this symbol did go away and get replaced with the standard “…”. When I went to large and larger it returned.

I realize this is a rather small bug, but with the new feature pack coming up next week it’d be nice if they set someone out to identify the cause and tweak it before then

Thanks,
Dragon