Today I installed 2 GTX 670 4GB cards....

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

Today I installed 2 GTX 670 4GB cards. They replaced one GTX 570 2GB. The thing is, i’m getting about the same performance. Maybe 5 fps more. Really????

Posted by: Zelta.6829

Zelta.6829

The game is CPU intensive, unless you play @ extreme resolutions, that GPU setup is pretty much a waste.

Posted by: Masta Squidge.7438

Masta Squidge.7438

That’s what happens when you didn’t bother to check if your problem was actually a graphics issue before spending loads of money.

My GTX 465 runs at like 40% all day long, yet I only have about 25-30 fps in town.

Try overclocking your CPU for a more noticeable improvement.

Posted by: michaeljhuman.3940

michaeljhuman.3940

Hello, I also have dual GTX 670 cards. They will be great in many games (so ignore the jibes With GW 2, it’s kind of a mixed bag. You will see high fps (> 80) most of the time, if you have similar performance to mine, but you will also experience < 60 fps sometimes.

You probably want to set reflections to terrain and sky, or whatever that is. That helps quite a bit.

As for overclocking CPU, I tried that. 2 fps gain. Hardly worth it.

On the bright side, I have smooth graphics, and can set to vsync and maintain 60fps most of the time. So the low fps in some areas don’t seem problematical.

For me, the real problem is broken events. I am really tired of them.

(edited by michaeljhuman.3940)

Villious.8530

I’m running a high end i7. I’m also running 3 monitors 20" 30" 20" PLP. 4960 × 1600

Thanks for the reply Michael. Very constructive post…..unlike the one above you.

(edited by Villious.8530)

Posted by: Zelta.6829

Zelta.6829

If you were playing at those resolutions, then why were you running a single 570 2GB?

(edited by Zelta.6829)

Villious.8530

Uh….because that what I had. Hence the reason I went with the new cards.

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

What CPU and what speed is it running at ?

What GPU and CPU usuage are you getting with said framerates.
Where in GW are u getting said framerates? WvW or normal PvE environments?

Once you answere these i can give you my thoughts

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Posted by: Hostile.4925

Hostile.4925

Villious.8530

I’m running a high end i7. I’m also running 3 monitors 20" 30" 20" PLP. 4960 × 1600
Thanks for the reply Michael. Very constructive post…..unlike the one above you.

Maybe if you had been up front with your system setup you would have received more constructive posts initially.

Posted by: Espionage.3685

Espionage.3685

- What FPS are you getting? 5 more FPS on top of 100+ FPS isn’t nearly that bad…
- Care to give more in-depth system specs, maybe using CPU-Z’s validation tool?

Posted by: orlen.7810

orlen.7810

it’s an awkward one, sli/crossfire is not really that great in some games and can hinder performance in others quite badly.

try single card and see what happens, it could just be a driver issue with sli, but don’t expect drastic improvments above that with the second one plugged in.

you are relying on nvidia for those improvments not arena net so don’t blame guild wars 2 blame nvidia/amd for sli/crossfire problems.

one amazing single card has always outperformed sli/crossfire in games, in direct compute work multiple cards always do better but they aren’t rendering at that point they are doing math.

I sound like i’m having a go at sli/crossfire but i’m not, in some cases people have seen nearly double fps upwards of 200+, but that is all down to drivers and updates to those drivers.

check with nvidia see if they have any updates coming for gw2 optimisation in sli.

Posted by: Kargion.6352

Kargion.6352

VRAM is used for screen resolution not CPU.

The game its self is CPU intensive. So you may get better resolution going to wide screen setups like 3 screens with less fps drop.

Posted by: Spinex.3695

Spinex.3695

Are you the guy in Make Love Not Warcraft?

Posted by: seithan.4823

seithan.4823

I have an i5-2500k @ 4k with gtx580. normally everything is more than fine. in the heat of WvW its less than 20fps.

Rig#1: i2500k@4Ghz/ 8GB Ram @ 1600/ Asus GTX580 CU
Rig#2: Core2duo@3Ghz/ 4GB DDR2/ 9800gtx+

Posted by: Zealot.2308

Zealot.2308

Seeing as most games can barely use up to 1GB of VRAM… Why would you spend that much to get 4? Let alone TWO of those cards? You wont notice much performance.

I wish I had your money…because you dont know how to spend it properly.

michaeljhuman.3940

I don’t see the point to these anti-sli posts. It works fine. It even helps GW2, trust me. But it won’t help in places where there’s already a known issue, IMO.

For example, goto Caledon forest, by the southern village. Walk across bridge near waypoint, then look up a bit directly back across bridge. You will be lucky to get 60fps. Near as I can tell, no amount of video cards will resolve the low fps issue there (just to name one obvious spot.)

I re-iterate this to be clear. That’s ONE spot in the game. In many other locations, fps is just fine.

I know this won’t stop the haters. Frankly, some of you sound like a jealous kid, and others of you have not even tried the setup to say KITTEN about it. So just…you know…stop.

p.s. I will spend my money how I like; you do the same; fair deal I think.

(edited by michaeljhuman.3940)

Posted by: orlen.7810

orlen.7810

yeah i wasn’t being anti sli/crossfire.

but it is not up to arena net if it works with thier game, it’s entirely up to nvidia and amd if it works well or barely at all.

oh and the point of vram is to push high resolutions across multiple screens, 1gb vram will do 1-2 screens at 1920 × 1080 but will struggle with 3 at those resolutions, more ram means more can be displayed.

michaeljhuman.3940

I understand the need for VRAM. In fact, some games have apparently really been pushing the need for more VRAM, but I can’t point you to specifics.

Posted by: Phara Miu.2816

Phara Miu.2816

It seems Intell + Ati cards have slighty better performance then AMD + Nvidia.
Also if you would have read technical issues you was able to spot that GW2 in WvW is heavy on the CPU.

At least you know you will have a beastly rig for any other game
It seems to me GW2 will be having these isseus for quite some time unless they know what the problems are, and if they would know it then we would know it also.

I give it some time untill Planetside 2 come’s out and play that for awhile untill the WvW fps drops are solved, if not then its time to move on once again.

Its not that GW2 is a bad game, but the whole gaming expirience is ruined when playing with 10 fps.

Also playing on low or high settings give the same fps for me, so i dunno what to make of it anymore.
We can only hope GW2 tech support can fix this gamebreaking performance bug before more and more people /quit WvW.