Torn between two new systems (I5 vs 6300)

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Willisium.5081

Willisium.5081

Hi,

I’m looking at two potential systems to run GW2. My current runs on medium – low, and I want to be able to up the ante a bit.

The choices are

Case : Galaxy 3 Modern Midi Tower Case
Power Supply : 750 Watt With Power Cable Supplied
Motherboard : Asus P8H61-MX USB3
CPU : Intel I5 3470 Quad Core CPU
Hard Drive : 500gb Sata Hard Drive
Memory : 4gb DDR3 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance Memory
Graphics Card : ATI 7870 2gb (Tripple screen support via DVI / HDMI / DISPLAY PORT)
Optical Drive : 24x Dual Layer DVD Writer
Warranty : 12 Months Return To Base (Parts & Labour)
Connections : 6 x USB 2.0 / 2 x USB 3.0 / LAN / Sound
Software : Drivers Only ( see shop for o/s options)

vs

Case : Vantage Blue Midi Tower Case + 4 120mm Fans
Power Supply : 750 Watt With Power Cable Supplied
Motherboard : Asus M5A78L-M USB3
CPU : AMD FX 6300 Six Core CPU (turbo 4.1Ghz)
Hard Drive : 500gb Sata Hard Drive
Memory : 4gb DDR3 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance Memory
Graphics Card : ATI 7870 2gb (Tripple screen support via DVI / HDMI / DISPLAY PORT)
Optical Drive : 24x Dual Layer DVD Writer
Warranty : 12 Months Return To Base (Parts & Labour)
Connections : 6 x USB 2.0 / 2 x USB 3.0 / LAN / Sound
Software : Drivers Only ( see shop for o/s options)

I know the I5 out performs the 6300, but playing both on high, and putting specs down to medium for dungeons / wvw, would I notice too much of a difference? there’s a £50 price difference, which pushes me just beyond my budget so I don’t want to pay for the I5 unless I absolutely have to. It’s probably worth noting that my monitors only 1600 × 900.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The game becomes CPU bound in WvW and large events, not GPU bound. So the CPU with better core performance wins and that’s the i5 (roughly 30% faster).

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Crawford.4135

Crawford.4135

You really need to avoid buying an i5 for a gaming system.

i5’s are business PCs as they are cheaper for companies to purchase in bulk vs i7’s.

More L2/L3 CACHE means better performance for gaming. Yes it really does make a difference, and has for over a decade.

Behellagh.1468

i5’s are business PCs as they are cheaper for companies to purchase in bulk vs i7’s.

More L2/L3 CACHE means better performance for gaming. Yes it really does make a difference, and has for over a decade.

The player’s on a budget, even the i5 is stretching it and you tell him to spend another $100 for maybe a 5% gain in performance on average between the i5-3570 and the i5-3770? Now offset the 3% gain do to clock speed. Not a whole lot of difference for a whole lot of money.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i5-ivy-bridge_7.html#sect0

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/701?vs=551

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-performance-comparison,3370-16.html

So where’s your proof that they are sooooo much better and worth the money (40-45% markup over an i5)?

RIP City of Heroes

Willisium.5081

Yeah the I7’s not on the table unfortunately. If money wasn’t a factor obviously it would be my first choice, but I’m looking for a sub £500 system that can work within the parameters I described, and those are the best two I could find within that budget.

I mainly want advice on whether the 6300 system is capable for the objectoves I set or if I’ll need to fork out for the I5 system.

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

What are you talking about? i5s are great for gaming. The only thing i7s have over i5s are the extra raw clock speeds because hyperthreading is not generally used in most games. Businesses would generally go for a celeron or at most an i3.

As for the OP’s question. I’m sure both would do well on most single player games or other MMOs. For GW2 specifically, it is very dependent on the power of individual CPU cores and that is where the i5 will beat the 6300.

(edited by kokocabana.8153)

Willisium.5081

I definitely think that the I5 is the better option, but it’s £50 more which is just over what I’d intended to spend. There is an I5 system available in my price range with what looks like the same graphics card etc. but the listings in German and I can’t read it, so not sure if I’m missing anything!

Don’t suppose anyone speaks German? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUFRUST-PC-INTEL-CORE-i5-3350P-HD-7870-2GB-8GB-DDR3-1333-Computer-/310576224338?pt=DE_Technik_Computer_Peripherieger%C3%A4te_PC_Systeme&hash=item484fc91852

Would that be better suited than the FX 6300 system?

Behellagh.1468

Chrome reads German.

This is their home away from eBay.

http://www.anlauf-computer.de/

======== Translation ========

Your advantage with us:

• This system is delivered completely assembled
  • before delivering a 24 burn-in test is performed
  • mapped housing is also supplied
  • We use our PCs exclusively coordinated brand parts
  • We provide the PCs basically not overclocked processors

=> Processor – 3350P Intel Core i5 (4x 3100MHz) Quad Core
=> Processor fan – Intel boxed cooler or quieter fans at
=> Motherboard – Asrock H61M-DGS with 1x PCI-Express (16x), 1x PCI-X (1X), 1.000MBit LAN DSL ready, 4x Serial ATA II, dual channel
=> Sound Card – 5.1 Channel High Definition onboard
=> Memory – 8GB DDR 3 RAM 1333 Dual Channel memory brand!
=> Hard Drive – without hard drive
=> DVD burner – without a DVD drive
=> Housing – Silver black design casing (see photo) with front USB + Audio (Total 8 USB)
=> Power Supply – ECO 750W ATX Power Supply with 12cm big fan laufruhigem and active PFC power saving function
=> Graphics Card – AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB HDMI, Dual DVI, PCI-Express
=> Accessories – Power cord, Manual, Driver CD

============

So no optical or hard drive and therefore no OS either. So “not” a functional computer out of the box.

Your budget seems to restrict you to AMD CPUs so not a lot of options. The only other possible alternative (putting on fire suit) is to go with something like a 3.3GHz i3-3220 or 3.4GHz i3-3240 for now. It’s a dice roll and it depends how much you believe in the article on Tom’s Hardware about various configurations and GW2.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-performance-benchmark,3268-7.html

The core scaling chart that show an i3 clocked at 3GHz out performing an FX hex core at 3GHz. Of course the FX-6300 is running at 3.5GHz while the i3-3220 is at 3.3GHz and this was back when the game first came out.

Tom’s also published this piece on $200 and under CPUs for gaming.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-processor-frame-rate-performance,3427-9.html

i3-3220 and the FX-6300 were pretty close overall. The one major difference was the FX-6300 was able to deliver a more consistent frame rate in the games tested even though it might be a little slower.

RIP City of Heroes

Willisium.5081

See, I want the fx 6300 system but most people say it’s a useless cpu for GW2, comparable to a pentium duo core. But most people have higher standards than me, I consider anything above 30 fps acceptable and am willing to turn down settings in WvW so I’m not sure if they’re overestimating my requirements. I suppose I’ll have to go for the I5 7870 model, it’s still relatively cheap for £490.

With whatever I buy I’m doing a fresh install, and can use the disk drive from my current set up (gt9800 q9900, playable at 20 fps medium, keeping for gf)

The other option is an I5 with a gt 650 ti, but that would get me less performance in games aside from GW2.

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

Fork out the extra for an i5 3rd or 4th gen CPU. Higher the clock the better.

GPU only needs to be a 7790 amd or better, or a Nvidia 650 or better.

Not saying amd are crpa but if ur buying with the intention to play GW2 , specialy WvW and other populated areas then Intel is the way to go, asuming u get a good intel CPU.

Note there are 2 different verson of the 7870. If its a Tahiti 7870(1536 cores) then yes its much better than a 650ti, if its a old 7870 (1280cores) its closer(though still better) to the 650ti.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

(edited by SolarNova.1052)

Posted by: hildegain.2106

hildegain.2106

I run an i7 3770k vs my GF with i5 3570k. In gaming there is NO DIFFERENCE between our systems but there is when it comes to video rendering, audio processing and multitasking.

No, i7s are not all around better for gaming, they’re about the same. In fact, with the hyperthreading enabled they’re actually about 20% SLOWER on some games, so I actually switch that on for gaming and switch it back off for video rendering (where I get about a 35% speed bonus).

See, I want the fx 6300 system but most people say it’s a useless cpu for GW2,

To be honest, an ivy bridge i3 is probably faster in most games than the 6300, that’s just how far behind the AMD processors are right now. In fact, I recently decided to get a phenom II for a build for my mother who plays a lot of mmos as it really is only about 1fps difference than the new piledriver CPUs. AMD for me really dropped the ball when it came to releasing new processors but I don’t think they were necessarily trying to make newer CPUs that could really power-house through games.

The only thing i7s have over i5s are the extra raw clock speeds because hyperthreading is not generally used in most games. Businesses would generally go for a celeron or at most an i3.

As for the OP’s question. I’m sure both would do well on most single player games or other MMOs. For GW2 specifically, it is very dependent on the power of individual CPU cores and that is where the i5 will beat the 6300.

I agree with what you’re saying, as for clock speeds though the I7s are more or less the same as 100mhz really makes almost no difference in most games and hyperthreading only slows you down in a lot of games (luckily can be switched off).

As for the extra memory, I’ve yet to see a game that really benefits from the extra 2mb of memory.

Really the OP could look into getting an older i5 sandy bridge and just run with it. It shouldn’t cost too much and they run only about 10-20% behind ivy bridge at similar clocks, still way ahead of AMD processors.

(edited by hildegain.2106)

Willisium.5081

I Think I’m gonna opt for the I5 3470 with a 7870; I’ve heard ok things in a seperate thread about 6300 performance wise, but for a couple less trips to the pub I kight as well take the safe bet.

If world v world is still dropping to less than 10 fps I’m gonna be kittened! Lol

Thanks for the advice!

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

WvW will drop below 10FPS if you crank the culling settings to highest/highest. Seeing every player is more important than seeing every player in their fancy armor since you won’t even notice it in a fight with that many players. Keeping the culling settings at highest quantity and low to medium quality will keep your FPS between 15-25. You will be able to see the detailed armor of the nearest 20-30+ players which is really all that matters for you to fight effectively.

Posted by: Daniel.5794

Daniel.5794

WvW will drop below 10FPS no matter what your system is, when you have over 200 players fighting it out in stonemist or a garrison it eats CPU power like no tomorrow. You will also still get skill lag no matter what system you have due to the WvW servers just not being up to the task.

The i5 is definitely the better CPU to go with for gaming in general. I don’t think there are any/many games atm that will utilise more than 4 cores.

FijiPeanut – Semper Dius [Dius]

Willisium.5081

Oh yeah I said earlier I plan to turn settings down in WvW anyway. I’d take everything on lowest settings if I could still see what was going on during a zerg.

I’ve been getting a lot of input lag on my current set up to, even in pve. I’m hoping thats the rig more the servers, although I’m dubious cos it used to run fine in PvE.

Willisium.5081

Just an update; I got the I5 3470 with a 7870, and it runs ultra perfectly, even in WvW zergs I’ve not seen a drop below 40 fps. 100+ in open world! Such a massive step up from my old system. No input lag either, although my old computer seems better on that front too, so maybe that’s due to an update.

Thank you all for your advice, I’m very pleased with my purchase.

Behellagh.1468

Nice to hear. Enjoy.

RIP City of Heroes