Two-step and e-mail authentication

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Etaoin.4362

Etaoin.4362

When logging in from a new IP address, if one has two-step authentication set up, then will one still receive an authentication e-mail as well? I ask because I recently set up two-step authentication, but my password for the authenticator (WinAuth) did not save for some reason. I will be traveling in a week and would like to be able to access my account during that time, so I would like to clear this up as soon as possible. I have contacted support about this, but have not yet received a response other than the initial confirmation of ticket e-mail (which is reasonable, since I only submitted the ticket recently). If anyone could clarify this, it would be appreciated.

Etaoin.4362

Well, I found the answer on my own: it does not send both. I still have not received any further response to my support ticket, but I am hoping that this will change soon? I really need to either have the current authenticator un-linked from my account or get a new copy of the password.

Also, on a different (but in my case related) note: Why is the password for my GW2 support account different from my, well, account account, and why will it not send me my password when I request it?

Etaoin.4362

It is also worth noting that the unlinking instructions themselves are rather confusing:

“To complete unlinking, enter the current code from your authenticator twice. (Note: This automatically sets your account to use e-mail authentication if you had previously verified your e-mail address.)

We ask for two codes from your mobile authenticator in order to ensure your account security. Please confirm that you enter two different codes and that the second is newer than the first. (Note: Rather than waiting, you can immediately generate a new code with some authenticator apps.)"

So…is one supposed to type the same code twice, or two different codes? The first paragraph suggests the former, the second the latter.

Posted by: Jon Olson

Jon Olson

Programmer

It is asking for two consecutive codes from the app.

Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

Etaoin.4362

It is asking for two consecutive codes from the app.

Edit: Never mind, I misunderstood which question this was replying to.

That being said, is there any other way of obtaining the password (WinAuth calls it a “Secret Code”) that links my account with the authenticator, or do I just have to keep waiting for support?

(edited by Etaoin.4362)

Posted by: avan.2803

avan.2803

You can unlink it at any time using the generated codes and will receive a new secret code when you re link it. I tried win auth and it does not save anything. So I’d say your best bet would be to use a different app or else write the code diwn and take it with you in your travels.

Etaoin.4362

You can unlink it at any time using the generated codes and will receive a new secret code when you re link it. I tried win auth and it does not save anything. So I’d say your best bet would be to use a different app or else write the code diwn and take it with you in your travels.

To receive generated codes, you must have the initial secret code, no? Otherwise WinAuth will not produce numeric codes. This is the problem: I do not have the initial secret code. Since I do not have the initial secret code, I cannot generate new codes, meaning I cannot unlink the authenticator. Does that make sense?

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

Support will unlink it for you once they get to your ticket and have all your informations. Took less than a day for me to get it unlinked, after I provided all informations.

Etaoin.4362

Yup, just had it fixed a few hours ago. It took a while for the response, but the action was immediate. Thanks, support staff!

Posted by: Balaur.1409

Balaur.1409

hey a friend of mine have the same problem, but her bought a fisical copy of the game.
Anyone have an idea the time that take to prove all the information??? she already have 3 days waiting.