Unable to Open Archive File on the new computer

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Puma Pompom.5632

Puma Pompom.5632

Got a new computer bought a hard copy of the game. Keep getting this error message that says “Unable to Open Archive File: Guild Wars 2 is unable to access its archive file local.dat. Please verify that this file is accessible and writeable, and that no other problem is currently using it.”

What do i do?

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Hi Puma Pompom – You will want to make sure you have your “Documents” folder in its’ default location. So if you have moved it to a different drive, you will encounter this error. If this is not the case, then this could be a permissions based issue and you will either need to launch Gw2setup.exe as an Administrator or try disabling your User Account Control to see if this resolves the issue for you.

Puma Pompom.5632

Running it as administrator did not fix it. My Documents folder is in its default location. Still the same error. Disabling my UAC did not fix the problem.

Puma Pompom.5632

I seriously need help. Can I just download someone else local.dat file and use it in mine? If so how?

Puma Pompom.5632

Alright so I kinda fixed the problem. I went to my friends place copied his gw2 to my external hd. Then moved the folder to my ssd started up the game updated it and it works fine. BUT it only works my my external hd is up and running. I moved all the files my sdd.

This i don’t understand.

Puma Pompom.5632

I even went out and bought a new copy of the game and it still wont run.

Posted by: Caprica.2435

Caprica.2435

Found this thread on google while looking for a solution. Sorry to bump a year old thread but it seemed like an unresolved issue. I had the same problem as I just formatted my PC and had to reinstall the game, maybe this will give some insight to those who are still having the issue:

I downloaded the client through the website (no discs), moved it into my “Games” folder, turned off Sharing Wizard from “folder options” (Tools, Folder Options, View Tab, at the bottom of the list) and ran the installer without any problems. I’ve also noticed that you won’t be able to use the installer if you rename it.