Unable to download GW2. Connection error.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: DragonicWolf.4857

DragonicWolf.4857

Gets stuck at 31% and “connection error(s) detected” flickers on the screen. If i force close the installer and then open it again, the download is at 0 kbps and nothing downloads.

DragonicWolf.4857

tried reinstalling again. The game downloads fine till 31%, which is where the ‘playable’ arrow is. once it reaches this point, the download speed falls dramatically to 0kbps, and after a while the “connection error(s) detected, retrying” popup flickers on the screen.

Posted by: Jinx.1402

Jinx.1402

I am getting exactly the same problem. I guess I will not be coming back after all.

Posted by: Tormented Gizka.8190

Tormented Gizka.8190

Experiencing the same issue.

Jinx.1402

I tried a winsock reset as per https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230665807-Problems-Downloading-or-Patching but the problem is still present.

Posted by: Tormented Gizka.8190

Tormented Gizka.8190

I was able to bypass the connection error frenzy by copying over a year-old game install folder (Gw2.dat and Gw2-64.exe) from my laptop and using that instead of attempting a fresh client download.

In my case, the old launcher updated itself and managed to finish downloading the remaining game files. It’s now playable.

Probably not very helpful for you guys, but it does seem like the problem lies with attempting a fresh client download.

Posted by: Roherrin.9703

Roherrin.9703

Same issue for the past 5 – 6 hours

Posted by: Dizmal.2831

Dizmal.2831

Same issue for me, I’ve tried multiple different things but always end up with the same result. I start the installation, downloads at 11MB a second until the playable arrow when the download comes to a screeching halt.

Posted by: FullySikBro.9428

FullySikBro.9428

I also have this problem as well i done resetting it, redownload it and still have the same problem

Posted by: Taubin.2345

Taubin.2345

I’m unfortunately having the same issue. Disabled firewall, change my DNS (though this obviously isn’t a DNS issue), reinstalled from scratch. Gets stuck right where the playable arrow is. It’s a brand new pc build, and I was really looking forward to playing this weekend. Unfortunately I don’t have the option of copying over my old directory. Hopefully this gets resolved soon.

DragonicWolf.4857

Seems im not the only one having this problem… probably from Arenanet’s end? it would be nice if it was on my end so i could fix it and start playing.

Posted by: Taubin.2345

Taubin.2345

Seems im not the only one having this problem… probably from Arenanet’s end? it would be nice if it was on my end so i could fix it and start playing.

It’s definitely on their end. I’m in NZ on an ISP that does zero traffic shaping at all, and am stuck at the same exact point. I would guess they uploaded an incorrect file, or forgot to upload it all together to Amazons servers (where the files are pulling from), and it just clocks instead of moving on to the next file(s).

Posted by: Mecha.2384

Mecha.2384

Seems like it’s on there end, i’ve been grappling with this all weekend so far. Is everyone else here oceania? I’m from AUS and assume somethings gone wrong server side

DragonicWolf.4857

Im in New Zealand.

Mecha.2384

and Taubin was NZ as well so somethings gone wrong :P

Jinx.1402

I am in Australia.

Roherrin.9703

I am in Aus as well

Jinx.1402

Woot, i found a way around this issue!!!!

I downloaded the client until it reached 31% and stopped.

I then downloaded the free version of TunnelBear (vpn): https://www.tunnelbear.com/
Once installed, I connected to the US then restarted GW2.64. The client then continues to download from 31%. I then disconnected the vpn and restarted the GW2 client and it continues to download.

So, you just need the VPN to get past 31% and then you do not need it any longer

(edited by Jinx.1402)

Mecha.2384

Looks like Anet bunked something up aus wise xD

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

If you want to debug the problem, use the -log option, then post the log file (%appdata%/Guild Wars 2/Gw2.log) as an attachment. It’ll tell you which file it’s failing to download, which you can try downloading through your browser to see how it’s being manipulated. Alternatively, you could use my launcher to see exactly what it’s downloading by using the tools / asset server proxy and caching options.

DragonicWolf.4857

If you want to debug the problem, use the -log option, then post the log file (%appdata%/Guild Wars 2/Gw2.log) as an attachment. It’ll tell you which file it’s failing to download, which you can try downloading through your browser to see how it’s being manipulated. Alternatively, you could use my launcher to see exactly what it’s downloading by using the tools / asset server proxy and caching options.

As someone who doesn’t know much about computers, this doesnt help very much. Step by step for dummies would be good. Il try the VPN option Jinx suggested

Posted by: FullySikBro.9428

FullySikBro.9428

By using tunnelbear it works so confirmed it works

Posted by: Dizmal.2831

Dizmal.2831

Yeah I’m in Aus’, looks like ANZ has been overlooked lol. Going to try the vpn and will update.

UPDATE!

100% worked for me too. Used a VPN connected to US and started downloading, although only at 1MB / sec. Closed the launcher and VPN then restarted and now downloading at 11MB again.

(edited by Dizmal.2831)

Roherrin.9703

I then downloaded the free version of TunnelBear (vpn): https://www.tunnelbear.com/
Once installed, I connected to the US then restarted GW2.64. The client then continues to download from 31%. I then disconnected the vpn and restarted the GW2 client and it continues to download.

So, you just need then VPN to get past 31% and then you do not need it any longer

Confirming also that this works

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

As someone who doesn’t know much about computers, this doesnt help very much.

That wouldn’t of helped you anyways. It was simply to find the cause of the problem.

The launcher getting stuck on specific files has been a problem for a while, and it’s usually in Australia. The only person I’ve seen try to debug it found that their ISP was injecting messages into their web traffic, which causes GW2 to download the same files over and over. This is why only a VPN will work, because it prevents outside sources from interfering.

Posted by: el flameo.2187

el flameo.2187

I had the same problem for the last couple of days, also from AUS, I tried the tunnel bear VPN method and it seems to work perfectly once you get over the point at which the client is stuck at, I then turned off the VPN and the rest is downloading perfectly…

Hope it works for others as well!

DragonicWolf.4857

Yep. using the VPN worked. Kinda hope it gets fixed soon anyway , this is a huge problem for oceania players that shouldn’t be overlooked.

Posted by: WeeriNZ.7426

WeeriNZ.7426

So, you just need the VPN to get past 31% and then you do not need it any longer

Can confirm this method works brilliantly. Thanks for the fix.
Tunnelbear has a 500MB limit on free accounts but you just need to download about 2-5MB before you can disconnect. Once you disconnect from the VPN your download will stop but you just need to restart the GW2 launcher and it will start downloading at your normal speed.

Thanks again. Might be able to get some time in before work. =)