Unable to install GW2 , please help!

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Viollator.5807

Viollator.5807

Hello ,

I’ve downloaded the client installer from the website ( tried both the 32 and 64 bit version ) to download and install GW2.
However , when I open the installer it will show that it’s downloading at about 7mb/s and instantly drop down to 1kb/sec and then just completely freeze my pc.
It doesn’t download anything at all , and everything just freezes and I have to reboot.

I’ve searched and tried all the common fixes for this issue , rename to Gw2.exe , create a new folder , run as admin , compatibilty modus with different windows etc. nothing has worked .
I’m running windows 10 64 bit.
TLDR : I open the installer and it pretty much freezes within seconds , please help!

Regards

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Make sure you have no LavaSoft programs running, or other such programs.

If you continue to have issue, you can contact the Tech CS Team via the ‘Support’ link above/below and ‘Submit a Ticket’ for assistance.

Be aware, responses may be running a bit behind at this time, though you should receive the automated reply almost immediately.

Good luck.

Viollator.5807

Thanks for the reply!

Any tips/advice on how I can discover such programs and remove them if so? I don’t get a error message when everything freezes so there is no log/code.

Thanks in advance

Viollator.5807

Some extra info..hoping someone has any idea what it might be :

I’ve turned the download client on and just let it run while not doing anything and the following happends ; it starts downloading at about 7-8MBPS ( normal speed ) and after 30seconds or so drops down to 1kbps , and freezes. However , after another 30 sec it will pick it back up and go up to 7MBPS again , rinse and repeat. I guess it would maybe eventually install if I let it run for hours on end but it’s not normal … any ideas?

Greetings

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Check your CPU and disk usage. GW2 downloads ~10 compressed files simultaneously and has to verify them, so it can cause heavy usage. Anti-virus software could be interfering, so whitelist GW2’s folder.

As a lazy test, simply open msconfig (search the start menu) and under the boot tab, check safe boot with network under it, then ok and reboot. You’ll start in safe mode with all non-essential programs disabled, where you can run the launcher without interference. Open msconfig and uncheck safe boot to return to normal.

Viollator.5807

Thanks for the advice!

I ran it in safe mode now and…installing just fine..what does this mean though? Should I let it install this way and see if it runs , and if not can I play it in safe mode? I don’t know a whole lot about PC’s but I’m guessing one of the active programs is conflicting with the installer or..?

Thanks in advance!

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

what does this mean though?

Other software was likely interfering. The longer method is using msconfig to disable all non-Microsoft services are and startup programs, then re-enabling a bit at a time until the problem occurs. But first, simply disable your anti-virus/security software and check the CPU and disk usage to see if any other processes were hogging them. To check, press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to bring up the task manager, switch to the performance tab and look for maxed out graphs. If something is maxing it, you can open the resource monitor to see what.

Should I let it install this way and see if it runs , and if not can I play it in safe mode?

You can fully install it in safe mode, but you can’t play it.