Underclocking GPU

Underclocking GPU

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: JVJD.4912

JVJD.4912

Hi, I had recently discovered i had overheating issues on my GPU which lead to frequent crashes so i decided to up the fan speed and under-clock it which helped a lot now since i dont crash anymore while playing GW2

However recently while playing a new mmo Wildstar which has way higher requirements than GW2 i left the GPU with default values and experienced no crash what so ever i did dungeons, i did raids and i went to overpopulated cities absolutely no crash, but the moment i started GW2 just as i got in the game poof everything froze and crashed

Is there some feature in GW2 which i have overlooked that is causing this crash? if so, can i disable it ?

(edited by JVJD.4912)

Underclocking GPU

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

You will need to attach your crash log, it can be found

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2

It will be in that folder somewhere, that will show what is crashing the game.

I can see from the dxdiag that you are running the onboard GPU this in itself may be causing your issues.

Underclocking GPU

Posted by: JVJD.4912

JVJD.4912

yeah srry about that edited for log report

Underclocking GPU

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

Each game utilizes each piece of hardware differently, even if the overall utilization is different. It may be that the overclock your GPU has is just slightly to unstable for GW2.
That is the thing about overclocking, u can find what seems to be a perfectly stable overclock, then find that 1 or 2 games just dont like it, and u need to lower it.
I’ve got games that will run my 780 at 1300mhz on the core without a problem, and 1 that needs it to be at 1224mhz to stop the odd artifact from apearing. I personaly prefer to have a 100% stable clock so i keep my GPU at 1224mhz.

If lowering ur GPU lock stops GW2 from crashing then it is likely the OC that was causing it, u have 2 choices then, ether have 2 profiles and switch between them depending on what game ur using, or simple use the lower clock all the time.

If your OC was a factory OC and ur within warranty u may wish to get an RMA as the clock u payed for is unstable. But be sure it is indeed the OC and not somthing else.

As for Wildstar, i played it during its Beta stage, its not got that large a gap in its GPU requirments UNLESS u set the “target render scale” higher than 1×.
Anything higher than 1x and ur effectivly rendering the internal resolution higher than ur set resoultion. I,E 1,5x at 1920×1080 would effectivly be 2880×1620. Thus a much higher load is put on ur GPU.
The Wildstar devs only put such an option available to help future proof the game visualy for when much more powerfull GPU’s become more mainstream. Even a GTX 780 will have issues running WildStar at 2x render scale at 1080p as thats effectivly 4kHD.
BTW have they optimised he game engine yet ? when i played it would hammer the GPU if u looked in certain locations, for no apparent reason even on low settings (it was a known issue at the time).

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |