Unfair Name Suspension?

Unfair Name Suspension?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: pookat.1864

pookat.1864

I’m new to Guild Wars, having started playing 2 just a couple days ago. I was playing without incident today when without warning I was banned and suspended for 72 hours for having an inappropriate name.

I named my Asura thief Phuca after a mischief spreading fae creature from irish folklore with a few different spellings called a Pooka/Puca/Phouka/Phooka: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pooka. I had a problem finding a spelling that wasn’t taken, so I found an available alternative that was a combination of them. I didn’t realize my name was offensive, I feel like the suspension/ban is unfair. I can change my character’s name but I’d really like to keep it because of it’s meaning. I’d at least like to not be suspended for 3 days for something I didn’t realize I did wrong.

I filed a support ticket for it, I hope to get some feedback about it.

Unfair Name Suspension?

Posted by: gassy.8975

gassy.8975

If you filed a ticket, there’s nothing the forum can do for you. I doubt they’ll release it as it sounds too much like a variation of a certain obscenity.

Unfair Name Suspension?

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

It took me a second looking at the name but if say “Phuca” it sounds like an F word. Putting the word thief in front of it makes it a little more shady. Perhaps it was coincidental but words in a name that sound like words that violate the language guidelines can result in problems as well.

The Burninator

Unfair Name Suspension?

pookat.1864

I only mention her race and class because a phouka is a prankster fairy creature, it’s why I picked the name for a fae-like creature like an asura and a thief.

Unfair Name Suspension?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Generally the first offense is a forced renaming, not a 3 day suspension. Did you get a forced renaming prior to this?

Unfair Name Suspension?

pookat.1864

No, I’ve been playing for less than a week and I’ve never had any warnings or anything. Part of the reason I’m feeling slighted about it was because I wasn’t given the option to change the name, rather than suspending me for 3 days.

(edited by pookat.1864)

Unfair Name Suspension?

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

Yeah, I get what you’re going for with Pooka, but it probably is the first three letters and/or the resemblance to a certain f-word when you vary the spelling. I don’t believe you’re trying to sneak in a profanity, but the rule will occasionally catch the innocent name that happens to match up. I remember a guy a few months ago who had trouble with the name “Foo Foo Cuddly Poops” for similar reasons.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Unfair Name Suspension?

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I only mention her race and class because a phouka is a prankster fairy creature, it’s why I picked the name for a fae-like creature like an asura and a thief.

Sure but say it out loud where the “u” sounds like when you pronounce trucker. I’m not saying you picked a name specifically to sound like a curse word. I’m saying given the way it can be pronounced may be what is causing the problem.

The Burninator

Unfair Name Suspension?

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

Maybe try swapping that H for an extra U when you get in game?

And have you tried to log in again since then? Sometimes when they tag a name for rename the game shows a 72 hour suspension but it then gets removed shortly thereafter.

Unfair Name Suspension?

pookat.1864

It looks like the suspension has been lifted and a forced rename is in place to play the character. I haven’t had any luck with any other variations of the name that haven’t been taken yet, it doesn’t help that I’m a little paranoid now. o_o

Anyway thanks everyone.

Unfair Name Suspension?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Try Pooka maybe?

Unfair Name Suspension?

Posted by: StugLyfe.2134

StugLyfe.2134

This name is very close to Female genitals in Tagolog, I would assume that’s what got it banned.

Unfair Name Suspension?

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

This name is very close to Female genitals in Tagolog, I would assume that’s what got it banned.

Your assumption is probably wrong as it’s far closer to a very common swear word. Just say it out load.

Unfair Name Suspension?

Posted by: Apotheosis.3786

Apotheosis.3786

I would post something to argue your cause, but I’ve seen a lot of this type of thing in this game. All I feel comfortable with saying is the mods and GMs in this game are ultra strict. Nothing negative against any mod reading this. I’m just letting him know to watch himself. Its really easy to get banned for like no reason at all. Your character in GW2 does not share your rights. If someone sees something they don’t like, they have the right to just dispose of you. Once again mods, I don’t mean any offense.

Unfair Name Suspension?

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I disagree that we’re “ultra strict” but we are keenly aware that we serve players from around the world: different languages, cultures, genders, ages, and degrees of sensitivity to name issues. What you need to know is that if a name is allowed (not blocked at creation) in the game it cannot be blocked by a player. So if someone uses “creative spelling” for a curse word, everyone is going to see it. And that is why we react: Not to be politically correct, but to ensure that our players are comfortable in the game.

The name your chose, for whatever reason, is going to be misunderstood by a large number of people as being “creative spelling” for an offensive word. I personally can’t see how someone would use the “f” sound to try to emulate the letter “p” but maybe I’m just too literal. The instant I saw the name (in my review) I thought “That’s not going to do.” As did the agent who reviewed. As did my team.

The name must be changed, but because this was your first name issue, you were unblocked less than five minutes after the name was reviewed, and you are free to continue to play any time.

Thank you for understanding.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet