Unfortunate ban of friend, chargeback, help?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Battysaur.1064

Battysaur.1064

Hello,

I have a friend in Australia that was recently gifted HoT by his mother. Unfortunately, with currency conversions, his mother didn’t take in the difference between AUD -> USD. Upon seeing the difference in amount (a whopping $80 AUD for the basic form of the expansion), she may have asked for her bank to withhold funds/refund the amount without realizing what it meant for my friend.

My friend was also gifted a new computer for Christmas. Not entirely relevant to the situation, but he hasn’t been on GW2 for about a month and a half. There was no way for him to realize his account was in turmoil before his new computer.

Is there a way he could have his account restored? Could ANet theoretically remove HoT from his account? Could he pay for the expansion himself and have his account in good graces once more?

This is honestly such a downer for him (and his guild mates/friends). After 3 years dedicated to the game, everything is lost because of something someone did outside of his control.

I’m hoping there’s a way to sort this out, but all other chargeback suspensions threads are not encouraging.

Thanks for reading and any help/suggestions,
Batty

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

You friend has to make support ticket and ask for help. Support link locate top of page. Support will only talk to you friend about this and not to you.

;)

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

If they asked for a charge back, it’s really likely his account is gone, but only support can really say for sure.

Never never never do a charge back unless it’s a fraud charge on your card. It will cause you so many issues that you have no idea.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Battysaur.1064

You friend has to make support ticket and ask for help. Support link locate top of page. Support will only talk to you friend about this and not to you.

I understand that support wouldn’t speak to me about this. I’m only looking for suggestions and maybe those who have gone through something similar.

He has created a ticket. However, support was very definitive (or seemed that way from the email) about the ban being irreversible because of the chargeback.

Thanks for your reply, though. Others may be unaware.

Battysaur.1064

If they asked for a charge back, it’s really likely his account is gone, but only support can really say for sure.

Never never never do a charge back unless it’s a fraud charge on your card. It will cause you so many issues that you have no idea.

That’s incredibly unfortunate. Especially because there was no malicious intent on his end, or anyone’s for that matter. Just a misunderstanding.

I’m definitely never going to purchase anything from ANet unless absolutely sure. I’ve also read of people wanting refund for gems during server latency (purchasing multiple times due to the gems arriving in a delayed fashion and such), so I’m even more wary of any future purchases and how to handle them.

Thanks for your help!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The CS Team is very good about returning funds, fixing mistakes, etc., but chargebacks are really out of their hands and handled by their provider. The policy is quite firm.

There is no real need to be afraid to purchase anything; just work with the CS Team rather than taking things into your own hands.

Good luck to your friend.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

That’s incredibly unfortunate. Especially because there was no malicious intent on his end, or anyone’s for that matter. Just a misunderstanding.

I’m definitely never going to purchase anything from ANet unless absolutely sure. I’ve also read of people wanting refund for gems during server latency (purchasing multiple times due to the gems arriving in a delayed fashion and such), so I’m even more wary of any future purchases and how to handle them.

Thanks for your help!

If you purchase something from somewhere (not just Anet) and you do exactly what you said, you don’t call your credit card company and demand a charge back. You should call the company you dealt with and they are usually really good about refunds and such. Anet has always been with that. A charge back isn’t asking for a refund, it’s actually really bad, and costs everyone so much money.

Your friend didn’t ask for a refund, he didn’t even speak to Anet. Instead, your friend caused them a lot of extra work, and they lose quite a bit of money. That isn’t anything to do with a refund, nor their policy.

Anet has a really good refund policy IF you speak to them. Doing a charge back is not the way.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: thunderdownunder.5092

thunderdownunder.5092

Thanks for your help!

If you purchase something from somewhere (not just Anet) and you do exactly what you said, you don’t call your credit card company and demand a charge back. You should call the company you dealt with and they are usually really good about refunds and such. Anet has always been with that. A charge back isn’t asking for a refund, it’s actually really bad, and costs everyone so much money.

Your friend didn’t ask for a refund, he didn’t even speak to Anet. Instead, your friend caused them a lot of extra work, and they lose quite a bit of money. That isn’t anything to do with a refund, nor their policy.

Anet has a really good refund policy IF you speak to them. Doing a charge back is not the way.

Hi, I’m the person that is being discussed in this post. Sorry this reply is so late, i wasn’t aware that my friend posted this for me. I would just like to point out that the reason my friend is even asking people for help and advice is because they know i didn’t do anything to cause this, that’s something that hasn’t been brought up here yet. I in no way requested any kind of charge back or refund at any point in time. I bought HoT, played it happily for a week and then my PC died. I went 6 weeks without playing Guild Wars 2 at all and was anxious to get back to it because i was very much enjoying it. That’s when i got my new PC, logged in and found out i was banned. When i opened a support ticket, it was the very first time i had ever heard of a charge back (i literally didn’t even know what a charge back was prior to this. That is why my friend has been trying to help me out. I just thought i should let you know since you seemed to be under the impression that i asked for a charge back and that i deserved what i got.

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

They have to close the account upon the request of a chargeback. Sorry but your friend is screwed. You might be able to convince customer support to apply a new code to the account to unlock it. Happy gaming!

The new code would need to be purchased.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Thanks for your help!

Hi, I’m the person that is being discussed in this post. Sorry this reply is so late, i wasn’t aware that my friend posted this for me. I would just like to point out that the reason my friend is even asking people for help and advice is because they know i didn’t do anything to cause this, that’s something that hasn’t been brought up here yet. I in no way requested any kind of charge back or refund at any point in time. I bought HoT, played it happily for a week and then my PC died. I went 6 weeks without playing Guild Wars 2 at all and was anxious to get back to it because i was very much enjoying it. That’s when i got my new PC, logged in and found out i was banned. When i opened a support ticket, it was the very first time i had ever heard of a charge back (i literally didn’t even know what a charge back was prior to this. That is why my friend has been trying to help me out. I just thought i should let you know since you seemed to be under the impression that i asked for a charge back and that i deserved what i got.

Then maybe you had a fraudulent key? This was an issue at HoT release back in October and there are a lot of threads about it. You might want to go look those up. Basically you bought the key from a third party seller who stole credit card information to buy the key. This results in a chargeback that you did not do yourself. The person who had their card stolen will initiate the chargeback. If that is the case support has been able to help back then. They may still be able too. Explain the situation and where you bought the key.

(edited by Andraus.3874)

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

Did you read the original post this was not a fraudulent key the upgrade was paid for with his moms credit card, when his mom got the statement she didn’t recognize the perchase, though is was a fraudulent charge did a charge back. This happen quite often, unfortunately Anets policy on this is quite harsh, do a charge back and totally lose you account, but Anet should have some way to handle this differently give the account holder some way to make restution to get their account back the only issue I can see is the cost my be high, to high that most will not pay it so they don’t offer it.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

(edited by Feirlista Xv.1425)

Posted by: sirrealist.1360

sirrealist.1360

Did you read the original post this was not a fraudulent key the upgrade was paid for with his moms credit card, when his mom got the statement she didn’t recognize the perchase, though is was a fraudulent charge did a charge back.

Did you read the original post? It had nothing to do with her not recognizing the charge or thinking it fraudulent, she didn’t take into account AUS → USD currency conversion and decided it was too much money.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Did you read the original post this was not a fraudulent key the upgrade was paid for with his moms credit card, when his mom got the statement she didn’t recognize the perchase, though is was a fraudulent charge did a charge back. This happen quite often, unfortunately Anets policy on this is quite harsh, do a charge back and totally lose you account, but Anet should have some way to handle this differently give the account holder some way to make restution to get their account back the only issue I can see is the cost my be high, to high that most will not pay it so they don’t offer it.

You didn’t read the whole thread. The OP was wrong and his friend (who the thread is actually about) responded and I responded to that. Anyway seems this matter is over.