Unplayable Lag

Unplayable Lag

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Liege Tai.8249

Liege Tai.8249

Well thank you GW2, been crying in my tea for a while for new areas to explore, and a new set of dynamic characters to explore it with. As your royally screwed the pooch with the main story after level 50.

It seems however my wish has come true but not without a sense of irony. As it would appear you have granted all my wishes, but now i cannot play due to immense server side lag.

Yes i said it, server side lag. What leads me to this outlandish conclusion? I hear all the readers scream….

Simples…

I’m holding a stable 10 Meg connection, alongside of a fairly decent gaming rig (Intel i7 quad core, Nvidia 660 Ti 1gb + 8 gb ddr3 ram need i say more.) I have run a internet connection stability test concurrently while playing GW2, and while i did notice several bouts of fluctuation in the connection it remaining at a healthy 6 meg at its lowest.

My FPS did not drop below 40 and all in all my CPU/memory usage an all other factors did not stretch themselves past 20% (and apart from that its only GW2 that’s doing it)

So i put it to you and good old irony to stop teasing me with performance issue and stop me crying in my tea.

Sincerely
Another random moaner who wants something fixed or at least explained why this is happening.

and for the love of god please do not tell me to turn it off and on again.

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: Nutjob.9021

Nutjob.9021

You seem to know what you are talking about and you may very well be correct that it is server side lag. However, I have mistaken hardware/software issues for server side lag before myself. What I would do if I were you is bookmark a video on YouTube or some other place, go to WvW, join a big zerg, and then wait until you come across another big zerg. These are prime conditions for lag. When the lag is at its worst, alt-tab out and bring up the video. If it’s all A-Net’s fault due to their server lagging, then your computer should have no problem playing the video in highest definition. If there is lag with the video, it could be your connection or it could be something else like the Windows 7 computer browser issue that plagues many GW2 players. I even had what I thought was lag one time but was actually intermittent hard drive failures signally the imminent death of my hard drive.

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: Dehuang.2053

Dehuang.2053

Nice conclusion
tho, you CAN’T be right
here’s why
there is hundreds of thousands of people playing the game
while
only YOU experiences “server lag”
kinda weird huh?

why did you not call your isp? get your connection checked, they’re the only one who can help you, Anet aren’t your technical slave, so stop crying at them for something they obviously CANNOT fix

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: data.4093

data.4093

I started lagging badly today but my connection is fine for everything else. Others in PvP and now WvW are saying the same thing. I know Anet had major issues in the past but I can’t remember lag like this in months.

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: Gatimax.9836

Gatimax.9836

Sorry guys, but I’m also with lag since the update, then there’s something wrong there.

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

I’ve been having horrible latency issues the past few days as well. I’ve tried everything from restarting my router multiple times, running tests while GW2 is running, and everything is working as expected. I’m not lagging in other games; only in GW2.

It’s not constant, but I keep getting latency spikes every 20s or so for a few seconds, and then it goes back to normal. This only started a couple of days ago. A few other people I know have been experiencing ping spikes today as well, and I’ve seen people complaining about it in map chat.

Not sure what anyone else is running on, but I have Comcast, if that matters.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: Sollonor.2391

Sollonor.2391

I’ve been having serious lag the past 24-48 hours. Prior to this my connection has been flawless (since beta). Now, Comcast was on our street this week and we had an outage for a few hours so I’m not yet sure if it is our carrier, server-side, or if somehow something has happened on my end. Speed tests are showing good results, though. I’ll see how things play out.

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: Kebabpower.2967

Kebabpower.2967

Just to pitch in, I too have this issue and I do believe it’s a server side issue as well.
I’ve only had this problem since the last patch(ish) and it seems to be very random when it occurs.

Look at the attached screenshot from my Resource Monitor.

The latency to the GW2 servers is crazy high and that is what causes the lag.
I don’t have this issue on any other MMO/MOBA I play, so it’s very likely a serverside issue.

Maybe they are being DDOS’ed like the LoL and Diablo servers are all the time, but an explanation would be nice.

Attachments:

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

Past 48 hours the lag has been unbearable, specifically around reset. Crossing my fingers that this issue gets resolved quickly.

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: Fearless Wretch.6839

Fearless Wretch.6839

Same problem here. 15-30 second skill delays and constant freezes. Been bad since patch but really bad the last few hours. Not even playable.

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: ravinboy.1698

ravinboy.1698

Same here. It’s also effecting Wildstar. Both games are completely unplayable at this point. Meanwhile I seem to have no trouble with some other MMOs and Netflix. I’ve done some ping tests and tracerouts. Performing Traceroutes to NCSoft seems to show the breakdown is somewhere on Level 3’s network in Dallas TX.

- Remember: Anytime minutes do not let you call the future!

(edited by ravinboy.1698)

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Same here.

Something is slowing not only the game, but the website as well.

There are several threads – they need to be merged – and an answer produced by those who are telling us nothing is wrong by their status being all green and happy.

WvW? 4 crashes in less than an hour – three within ten minutes.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: DonOso.6042

DonOso.6042

Having the same issue here. I’m on Comcast as well, but just did a speed check and have kitten .90Mbps down, 9.88Mbps up speed. Also just played some Mass Effect 3 multiplayer just fine.

The game has crashed multiple times on me in the last hour and I’ve had huge spikes last for over 3 minutes.

On the Tarnished Coast Server if that matters.

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Same here. It’s also effecting Wildstar. Both games are completely unplayable at this point. Meanwhile I seem to have no trouble with some other MMOs and Netflix. I’ve done some ping tests and tracerouts. Performing Traceroutes to NCSoft seems to show the breakdown is somewhere on Level 3’s network in Dallas TX.

Now I am upset.

They choose a place that has a very selfish bandwidth problem compared to other cities! It’s choke/cable kitten out there.

I feel worst for the Aussies…

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: crazy.9083

crazy.9083

ddos maybe? been happening everywhere again..

Unplayable Lag

Liege Tai.8249

Bumping this post as I am still suffering 14 days later

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: kingbread.6174

kingbread.6174

I’m suffering from intermittent spikes every 5 minutes thkittenually casual a disconnect as well.
Rest of time, im suffering from a delay

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: scirocco.9805

scirocco.9805

Have been having lag for close to 3 weeks now, before that I had no problems since beta. And no its not my ISP, I can pay every other online game flawless at the same time. Its the worst in the evenings, when the US people get out of bed.

Waiting for the linux port, wine makes my computer burn..

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: SONL.6371

SONL.6371

I got the biggest lagg since 2 months ago (mostly skill lag, no rubber banding.) I posted this around 100000000 topics but no1 ever answered whatsoever. I’m actually done with this now. :S

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I got the biggest lagg since 2 months ago (mostly skill lag, no rubber banding.) I posted this around 100000000 topics but no1 ever answered whatsoever. I’m actually done with this now. :S

Wow 8 posts in 6 threads in two weeks is a 100 million now. Must be the new math.

You do realize if everyone was experiencing large amounts of lag there would be more than just these few posts.

The sources of lag are, their servers, the Internet, your machine. Other than Kebabpower, who is seeing 900 ms latency in the EU, none of you have provided any info here and likely nobody has contacted support and provided it to them either on the subject. Complaining to the playerbase doesn’t help you other than finding a sympathetic ear.

Depending where you are and the path of the traffic, everybody can have different experiences.

Only suggestion I can provide beyond contacting support and follow their instructions to gather info that they can then troubleshoot, is to defrag whatever drive you have the game installed on (unless it’s on an SSD). Major updates do a number on the data file in terms of fragmentation which could significantly slow the game if it’s waiting on assets to be loaded. Even worse on most laptops since those drives tend to be even slower than desktop ones. Not sure how good the default Win 7 or 8 built in defrag utility is, I use Auslogics free version of DiskDefrag where you can target a single file, a folder or then entire drive.

You should know that /ip in the chat window will list the server’s address that you are currently on which you can then ping, I use the free version of pingplotter, which can show if the delay is along the way or up against the NCSoft server wall. Note that not all hops will provide ping times, it depends on how those routers are configured.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: jacob.5609

jacob.5609

Just adding my voice to the throng; it’s happening to me too on a newly built custom gaming PC and although I have reported it in-game I thought it was worth sharing in a community setting too.

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

Since the servers went down some days ago, I’m having terrible lag spikes. Every 7-10 secs, the game just freezes (everyone stops attacking, or keep running – like when you are about to get disconnected), and then everything happens together

Running dungeons and playing PvP is just a no for now

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

Just to pitch in, I too have this issue and I do believe it’s a server side issue as well.
I’ve only had this problem since the last patch(ish) and it seems to be very random when it occurs.

Look at the attached screenshot from my Resource Monitor.

The latency to the GW2 servers is crazy high and that is what causes the lag.
I don’t have this issue on any other MMO/MOBA I play, so it’s very likely a serverside issue.

Maybe they are being DDOS’ed like the LoL and Diablo servers are all the time, but an explanation would be nice.

That could be because the Back Bone provider Level 3 have been routing Anet’s traffic through Europe on it’s way from US IP to Them …..

Probably the same way that Verizon / Lvl3 been doing it to Netflix as well

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: Mayonnaise.9624

Mayonnaise.9624

Didn’t have any problems with the game during WvW season 2. I joined back few days ago and WvW is unplayable for me.

“It’s Raining Lootbags! Hallelujah!
It’s Raining FSP Golems! Amen!”
– The Weather Girls

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: Cruss.2734

Cruss.2734

It just HAS to be server lag. Come on. When i experience lag, i’m checking my ping. And, GUESS WHAT, it’s 30! Only Guild Wars 2 is lagging for me. I’m playing few other games. I don’t get any disconnects, not even lags. It’s so unplayable.

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

How are you checking your “ping” when none of the Anet servers will respond to the “ping” command? Your claim of a 30ms ping to an internet server is pretty unbelievable as well.

If it was Server Lag EVERYONE connected to that map would be experiencing it as well. I’m not saying that kind of thing does not happen occasionally, but it is NOT a constant situation or even remotely often enough to be considered “unplayable” (at least not by any significant number of players).

Level 3 does not route ALL Anet traffic thru Europe intentionally. I have seen instances where this happens for specific connections and that is likely due to some configuration issues with your particular ISPs traffic (and yes, you should report it to your ISP so it gets fixed).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: james.6938

james.6938

I too.. my lag normally lasts about 15-30 seconds before going back up, I have a pretty decent computer to say the least with a GeForce 760, and fx 6350, 6gb ram, and I struggle so badly on wvw even on low / medium settings I struggle to stay afloat of 30fps how ever a few months ago I would never drop under 30, however on wvw I maintain a 50-70 fps where ever which further makes me wonder if I’m the problem

Unplayable Lag

Liege Tai.8249

Well im back again with my origional post, 1 year later and yet again the same problem, a lot has changed for me since i posted the last time, Namely i have a bigger internet connection now…. and a better PC, and well the issue remains.

Personally I think 15 minutes to load a map is bullkitten, sort it out, this is pre expansion release and i’m already getting hammered with server side lag, I mean it’s always slow but kitten me it’s been worse these last few weeks.

Been close to 30 mins now, sound still hasn’t loaded correctly, neither has half of the map.

Attachments:

Unplayable Lag

Posted by: Thanks.6859

Thanks.6859

Same problem game and sound stutters