Unplayable lag and a really weird fix

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Amaranthe.3578

Amaranthe.3578

so after a long time i didnt i used it again
i logged in to play only to see 300-2k ping which makes the game unplayable
so i did the /clientport 80 on thing and the game works perfect again(70-90 my usual ping which is about as good as i can get from israel)
wtf does this mean and how can i fix the real issue behind this?

(edited by Amaranthe.3578)

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

It likely means that someone is throttling gaming ports, or all non-standard web ports. Home network? It could be a router/firewall configuration problem, or your ISP. Public network? You don’t have a choice.

Posted by: Absurd.2947

Absurd.2947

I reset my router, changed to port to 80 and it worked fine for a few minutes, but now I’m back in LagCity, shouldn’t even call it lag, it’s just completely broken. Haven’t had 4sec pings since dial up. It’s like playing chess with your great great grandfather, it’s not even anticipating your opponents actions, it’s anticipating what he’s having for lunch two days from now.

Amaranthe.3578

It likely means that someone is throttling gaming ports, or all non-standard web ports. Home network? It could be a router/firewall configuration problem, or your ISP. Public network? You don’t have a choice.

how can i find which one does this kitten to me?

Posted by: Terrorsquad.2349

Terrorsquad.2349

It’s NCSoft servers, wait untill they fix it. No need to go other port because every instance is a different IP address. Which means every single time you go to another map or WP, you have to change port to 80 and 433, which is a waste of energy. And only a temp fix for a problem NCSoft should fix.

Denied | 5.9k PvP Games | PvP Rank: 236 | 8.6k hours | 9 Legendaries | Still Bad.

Posted by: Absurd.2947

Absurd.2947

They haven’t even acknowledged it yet, fixing might take a while

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

By removing variables. For software, try a different computer, a clean install of Windows or a msconfig minimal boot (least effective). For hardware, try a direct connection to the internet or temporarily DMZ your computer. Everything else would fall outside of your control.

Posted by: padreadamo.3986

padreadamo.3986

Glad it helped mate. At least it will aid in troubleshooting the issue.

Amaranthe.3578

By removing variables. For software, try a different computer, a clean install of Windows or a msconfig minimal boot (least effective). For hardware, try a direct connection to the internet or temporarily DMZ your computer. Everything else would fall outside of your control.

tried a clean windows,my connection to internet is direct and my computer is DMZ.
if it matters my router is DOCSIS
and its most def not the ISP

(edited by Amaranthe.3578)

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

They haven’t even acknowledged [anet servers causing lag] yet, fixing might take a while

…that is probably because in every case people actually look, it turns out to be an issue in the level3 network, which is not part of either ANet or your ISP, but does sit between them.

Posted by: Lyrebon.9715

Lyrebon.9715

Pretty drastic methods for what is a server-side issue. Even then, why would you re-install Windows for issues that can be fixed in a few minutes? Even if you just run chkdsk, clear the local cache, and repair the game client. Check firewall settings, forward ports in router, and if the problem persists then download Pingplotter to see what the issue is.

I did all this and the issue is with NCSoft a few hops down the line. I made sure it was just GW2 by playing other MMOs and pinging various public domains that get a lot of traffic, like Google and Facebook. Problem only exists in GW2 so it’s nothing you can fix.

Just going to have to wait until NCSoft sort it out.

(edited by Lyrebon.9715)

Posted by: Sarge shot Grif.6450

Sarge shot Grif.6450

Really kittening me of that a previous thread about this issue wasn’t even acknowledged, they just dumped all the posts into a really old thread about generic disconnect errors.

Just had to bail on my TD group cause my ping was playing hopscotch in the neighborhood of 50-4k ping.