Unrecoverable Graphics Driver Error

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: SwissStopwatch.6721

SwissStopwatch.6721

When I zoned into Lion’s Arch, I got a black screen, followed by a really long wait, followed by an “Unrecoverable Graphics Driver Error” popup. The popup gave me a link to GW2 support, but I couldn’t find anything helpful there, and I don’t see anything immediately helpful in here either.

What I’d like to know is, what causes this? Are the drivers for my R290 at fault, as the message implies (they did get an update that I applied after)? Am I looking at a defective card? Something else? All of these things, none of them?

Posted by: Encoded Rig.7903

Encoded Rig.7903

Was this a blue screen or a guild wars 2 error message?

It can mean any number of things from an overheating card to a bad driver to a corrupted game install.

Posted by: SwissStopwatch.6721

SwissStopwatch.6721

Was a popup window, not a blue screen. The system didn’t crash.

Posted by: Shylark.4951

Shylark.4951

Try adjusting your Graphics settings down a bit lower and see if that helps…. It sounds like the GPU may be a bit over loaded….

Life is just a Big Role Playing Adventure…

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

I know what problem you’re experiencing. Happened to me a lot with my R9 290Xs. Well, I have a hunch that I know. If you haven’t already done so, update your graphics drivers to AMD catalyst 14.9. Be sure to uninstall the previous driver first to make sure all the old crap is removed. I haven’t had a single good display driver from AMD in 2014 until 14.9.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Had that a lot when i used the last Beta driver, still happens now and then with the
lateste released version for me.

The older Catalyst version was much mor stable i think.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

You’re not using 14.9.1 beta are you? I just mean the WHQL 14.9. If you’re still having issues then I couldn’t suspect anything other than possibly faulty hardware in which case an RMA would be the cure.