Using an Ipad for keyboard shortcuts. Allowed or not?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Zion.1072

Zion.1072

Recently I have been working on a couple of iPad apps to control software that I use in the Audio Production field. Short cut commands made simplier, and running MIDI devices via iPad.

My question is this: If I make a button on my iPad that reads keyboard shortcuts, would it count as a Macro, and if so would it get me banned? I do not want to do anything against the rules that arenanet has put forth, hence the question.

Posted by: PhoenixFire.2790

PhoenixFire.2790

Anyone other than a GM can only speculate. I personally wouldn’t see a problem unless it enables you to do anything un-attended. But who am I? just some moron on the internet.

Posted by: Victus.9631

Victus.9631

Any third party item isn’t allowed. This has been 100% stated by ANet. AKA, this is not allowed.

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

If you use the iPad as a controller and you have to press the buttons on the pads touch screen “yes” but is the app presses the button for you then “no”

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: PhoenixFire.2790

PhoenixFire.2790

My origional post assumed they had to manually press buttons. If it presses them for you I would advise against it.

Posted by: Victus.9631

Victus.9631

Doesn’t matter if it presses the buttons for you or not. If it’s not your mouse or keyboard or default, original, non-edited game files then it’s illegal to use. No use of any 3rd party function is allowed in the game.

Zion.1072

Okay then, I wont be using it unless I see otherwise from a GM. Thanks guys! And to clarify, I would press a button on the ipad to say, Open the Map instead of hitting M. Thanks all that replied!

Posted by: AlphaZero.4395

AlphaZero.4395

According to the Rules of Conduct you should be okay as long as you don’t automate any gameplay functions. https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-rules-of-conduct/

“You may not use any third-party program (such as a “bot”) in order to automate gameplay functions, including playing, chatting, interacting, or gathering gold or items within Guild Wars 2. You may not assist, relay, or store gold or items for other players who are using these processes.”

I use a Logitech G13 game board without any issues. It’s not a keyboard or a mouse and it has an application that runs in the background.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

If I understand what you’re describing, it doesn’t sound like it would violate any rules. It sounds, more or less, like you want to use your ipad AS your keyboard in some circumstances.

If I had a keyboard with built in macro support, it shouldn’t be a problem to build a macro for something. Besides, it should be transparent as far as the game is concerned.

Don’t take this as gospel though…

(edited by Hickeroar.9734)

Zion.1072

All I want it to do is make a button that says Iventory, that I hit instead of hitting I on the keyboard. using a VNC server my computer picks it up as a single keystroke of I. I dont want to automate anything, I am still hitting a button, just not he I button ( it makes sense if you see my PC rig at my house why I want this). The only thing that may be an issue is i alt+tab a lot when I have to look something up for a guild mate or talking online for work, so one button presses alt and Tab at the same time.

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

Ok this was posted in a tread about using a Xbox360 controler by Mark Katzbach:

As you may be aware, we cannot approve or review or “vet” any third-party program. Our general statement is that anything that gives advantage is forbidden. There are many utilities that help the player without taking a hit on others, without, for instance, being a detriment to the other players in a match. I’ve heard about certain programs that help disabled players too, and those seem just fine.
In cases like this, I would go so far as to say as long as the profile that binds controller buttons to keyboard/mouse commands is binding one button to one keypress/activation, you are not in danger of incurring a ban. For example: if you press one button on your controller and it executes one weapon skill, it’s okay; if you press one button on your controller and it activates a chain of skills, that’s where you run into forbidden territory.
I hope this helps clear things up for you all.

As long as you follow these guide line you should by fine

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: Weasel.5293

Weasel.5293

i have a madcatz xbox360 controler and i couldnt figure out how to get it to work with the game.how can i do that because the whole mouse moveing thing isnt my deal. i could tolerate the mechanics in gw1 but this is a bit harder…kinda use to wow and swtor and dc