VERY Abnormal Ping Issues

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: haunterdry.6043

haunterdry.6043

Hi, so I know that ping issues are typically associated with conectivity issues… but my situation is more than a little odd, and I don’t know where else to turn. My internet has been absolutely fine (using Skype, Teamspeak with no issues), but whenever I log into GW2, I am experiencing pings of 500-4000ms. Three days ago I was at <40ms consistently. As I said before, I know this isn’t necessarily the place for this, but I don’t know where else to turn! Is this happening to anyone else? Does anyone know of a possible fix?

This is making my game completely unplayable and has been happening for days…

Pics of Ping and Ping in-game: http://imgur.com/a/wazQ6

TL;DR: My ping sucks in game but not out of it and i cant figure out why… want to know if anyone else is having this

Attachments:

Posted by: waymark.8294

waymark.8294

I have been experiencing the same issues. But doesn’t seem like many people are reporting this, so not sure if it’s my internet…

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Neither of your pictures actually shows anything. You need to do a trace route from your IP to Anet to see where the issue is. Then you can go from there to see what the issue is.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: haunterdry.6043

haunterdry.6043

Neither of your pictures actually shows anything. You need to do a trace route from your IP to Anet to see where the issue is. Then you can go from there to see what the issue is.

So I looked into running a traceroute, I am not sure exactly what domain to use after the tracert command to test the connection. I appreciate your feedback

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Do remember, the ‘ping’ shown in-game is not a true ping, but the time it takes to reach the servers and process the data. That might be the issue.

Good luck.

Posted by: Markhov.4603

Markhov.4603

I just want to tell you that you are not alone, I am facing exact the same issue as well.

So long as there are men, there will be wars.

Posted by: Runewolf.8456

Runewolf.8456

Can confirm, am currently suffering from the same issues.

Posted by: Shonex.5327

Shonex.5327

Having the same issue, everything was ok before the Raid update so I am fairly sure servers are overloaded because tons of people are playing raids

And it’s probably not our internet because everywhere else it works alright

ANet will fix it soon I hope

Member of: Cute But Devilish Inside [CUTE]
Ring of Fire [EU]

Posted by: Raezzor.9217

Raezzor.9217

I can confirm this issue is NOT ISP related. Tracerts to the server show no issues. Account website is also slow both in a browser and the launcher. In game ping is all over the place with chat being affected as well.

Posted by: Zabimaru.2869

Zabimaru.2869

Have the same issue. Only seems to affect Guild Wars 2 site and the game client/Game itself.

I have tried both the 64-Bit and 32-Bit client same issue. Also called my ISP and can confirm it is not on my end.

Posted by: bobloblaw.5618

bobloblaw.5618

My game crashed today in the middle of a PvP match. My game rarely crashes and I haven’t had ping issues for close to a year. I typically sit at 50-60 ping avg with no spikes.

Since the crash, my ping sits at 350-500 average and spikes up to 2.5k. The game is currently unplayable for me.

Posted by: Raoc.2875

Raoc.2875

Same here. Very odd as i have honestly never had ping problems in 3 years of playing.

Posted by: enzoh.5302

enzoh.5302

It looks to be an issue with Level 3, from Chicago to Dallas. This has been an ongoing issue since yesterday.

Attachments:

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

Having exactly the same problem, as soon as I start GW2 my conection goes crazy…

M I L K B O I S

Posted by: Suth.8567

Suth.8567

Similar issues started to show up in EU one to two hours ago.

Posted by: vriff.8251

vriff.8251

Same problem, since HoT release (had it before for couple of months but was fixed somehow)

Posted by: TheGhoul.1049

TheGhoul.1049

Had this problem for about an hour last night. Seemed to resolve itself later on. I was getting ping spikes in-game up to 4k as well. I can confirm that it wasn’t my ISP, nor was it related to my router. The problems started occurring after the patch last night (for me). Teamspeak, steam, and everything else that was on the internet had no issues. I haven’t been on at all today so I can’t say that the issue has been resolved or not.

Out of curiosity, are any of you residing in Canada?

Posted by: Zoose.1640

Zoose.1640

A couple of my teammates are having this issue and they are from both coasts of the states.

Has anyone found a workaround?

Posted by: VoskiSoor.2869

VoskiSoor.2869

30+ dc’s over the last 2 days

im an aussie player with 100mb down and 50 up internet connection.

A-net plz ive been such a supporter over the last few years but i cant even walk 2 steps without dcing.

Posted by: Snorcha.7586

Snorcha.7586

Can confirm the issues from Australia. All other games ping around 200ms, Gw2 – 350ms.

Posted by: ZombieLeach.5862

ZombieLeach.5862

I’m having a similar issue. My game will run fine for a while. Then suddenly it will lag, everything will stop, sometimes I can see everyone else moving but I can’t use any of my skills then it will either right itself or it will send my back to the character select screen with a “disconnected from server” error message. I’ve checked the crash logs and there’s nothing there as well as ran a traceroute and all the hops are 50-ish ms or below so it’s not my connection. My modem is fairly new and haven’t had any problems with it before and can run other things no problem. I’ve exhausted everything I know to check. I’m at a loss for answers…

Posted by: Railgun.3694

Railgun.3694

EU here. Looks like there is a problem on NCSoft/Telias End. I get a dc every now and then and have horrible lags in between. It’s unplayable for me right now. Website is working pretty slow as well, so something is definitely wrong.

I attached a traceroute to my current map ip.

Attachments:

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

Same for me, in Star Wars Battlefront everything is ok in GW2 ping up to 1000.

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

Posted by: Suth.8567

Suth.8567

Same here, Telia latency issues starting again, as every few months. ISP is Deutsche Telekom.
I started using BattlePing again to alleviate the issues, as past experience showed that Arenanet is not going to fix the issues in a timely manner (I’m aware that it’s not easy to do so),

Posted by: Ciome.1075

Ciome.1075

Same here, ping absolutely fine with everything except gw2.
I shut down everything in my home that could use internet except my pc and it doesn’t change.
If I shut down gw2 there’s no network activity, speed tests and ping tests are up to 9.2 mbit/s and 6 ms on the nearest test server (45 km).
Ingame I have the same ping values of the pic posted by the OP and it makes everything totally unplayable. This happens to me from less days than the OP tho.

edit: answer to mokk (2nd post after this one): I already tried to do repair some days ago.

(edited by Ciome.1075)

Posted by: Seraphic.6318

Seraphic.6318

I have the same problem.
I play from Australia, so ping spikes are nothing new, but now my ping has gone up to a consistent 350-450, instead of the usual 200-250 I am used to.
This has made most HoT content unplayable for me, as I am usually dead before I can react, and my glider fails to open up in time. I’m not well versed in how connections work, so all I can give about this problem are tracerts of the Auric Basin map I was in and screenshots of the ping shown in the options menu, in this link: http://imgur.com/a/GZndt

Posted by: Mokk.2397

Mokk.2397

You can get a ping to the specific area server your on by typing /ip in the chat you get an ip number for example I get 64.25.33.63:0 for lions arch>It may or may not be the same.Just omit the colon and last digit in your ping or tracert command line test.
Sometimes doing a repair on the GW2 dat file helps.You can do that by creating a short cut in the GW2 folder of the GW2 application.Open properties of shortcut and in target box add a space then -repair.so it looks like “C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” -repair .Run that.It may take around 10-20 minutes to complete.

good luck

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

I have the same problem.
I play from Australia, so ping spikes are nothing new, but now my ping has gone up to a consistent 350-450, instead of the usual 200-250 I am used to.
This has made most HoT content unplayable for me, as I am usually dead before I can react, and my glider fails to open up in time. I’m not well versed in how connections work, so all I can give about this problem are tracerts of the Auric Basin map I was in and screenshots of the ping shown in the options menu, in this link: http://imgur.com/a/GZndt

Exact same issue for me, down to the pings you stated. I am also with Telstra. Have you had any luck explaining the issue to them?

The only difference is that speedtest.net is saying I have 23 ms ping and 9.53 Mbps download speed…

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

(edited by Amurond.4590)

Posted by: Skeptik.7856

Skeptik.7856

Australian here, I posted a similar thread on reddit. I normally sit at around 240-260 ping but lately I have been around the 390 to 400 mark.

Like everyone else, internet is fine in other NA based games, teamspeak, skype etc.

NA ~ BlackGate
Engineer, Elementalist & Warrior
Vis Infinitum [Vi]

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

Would like to hear some more information about this, whether it’s an issue on Anet’s end or not.

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

been going on for week now, every evening like on command for ca. hour insane lag (Germany)

can’t raid, can’t pvp, can’t do anything :/

Attachments:

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

Posted by: Smartik.9674

Smartik.9674

This started for me on Monday and it has been unplayable since. I am on Whiteside Ridge, usually have 45-80 ish ping stable. Now it spikes up to the 350-700 range. Even when the ping is not showing excessively high, I get ridiculous skill delays, see players teleporting around and rubberbanding, see mobs freezing and unfreezing during fights. I literally cannot play anymore. So much for buying the expansion on top of buying the game. Anet won’t even address the issue.

Attachments:

(edited by Smartik.9674)

Posted by: Clem.2963

Clem.2963

I’m playing from Australia and my ping has jumped 100ms+. Usually it’s around 250, the past week or so it’s been over 350.

This is making it especially hard to do anything with gliders which requires quick timing.

Posted by: tribal vixen.2109

tribal vixen.2109

I play from Australia too and am having the same problem. Normally it is around 250 but lately it has been fluctuating between about 400 and 800 most of the time with spikes of up to 4000. Makes gliding almost impossible. I noticed the change around the 20th November (AU). My kids play other games and they have not experienced this issue so I can only assume it is on Anet end not our internet.

Posted by: Andy.9137

Andy.9137

still experiencing 400+ ping. no response from anet yet?

Posted by: Condodragon.2098

Condodragon.2098

Have been playing GW2 in Australia since head start prior to launch. The last three years my ping has generally been around 250. Since the last patch my ping has been consistently 450-600 with spikes up to 4000. Raiding is impossible and I have lost count of how many times I have splatted into the ground because my glider won’t open.

Posted by: Amensty x.9360

Amensty x.9360

Havin the same issue here, Playing from Australia. Like most of the rest of us, our ping has never been fantastic, but we manage with what’s normal for us. I usually roll around 250/300 but the past few days it’s been 400-450 and my Fps halved from 30-15.

Checked most things on my end, and can’t pin point anything on my end.

Frustrating :/.

Markhov.4603

Dear ANET, silence is not an option. As we do not see any response from any one of you.

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

I am having a 90-100% packet loss at the ncsoft server hops at end … So yeah, I have a ticket in. Hope they fix this soon, I want to play without everyone teleporting around.

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

Dear Anet,

why is your server discarding about half of my sent packets? Are they not good enough for you?

Posted by: Memoden.6953

Memoden.6953

From New Zealand:

19 218 ms 219 ms 219 ms ncsoft-ic-307708-dls-b21.c.telia.net.10.115.62.i
n-addr.arpa [62.115.10.106]
20 553 ms * 525 ms 64.25.32-9.ncsoft.com [64.25.32.9]
21 500 ms 473 ms 440 ms 64.25.32-26.ncsoft.com [64.25.32.26]

Tracert to:

All show similair eratic spikes and packet loss in a number of traces I’ve done. All this at the GW2 servers ONLY.

Thank you,

Markhov.4603

Dear ANET, please find two screenshots from my end. My internet definitely had no issue with websites or other servers. Look at the ping server that from your www.guildwars2.com compare to in game latency.

Fix it this please, silence is not an option as I said.

Attachments:

Markhov.4603

This post contains the in game latency.

Attachments:

Markhov.4603

The one on the left is the IP of in game map while the one on the right is www.guildwars2.com.

Obviously both are from the same IP range which started with 64.25.xxx.xxx but why there is huge difference?

Attachments:

Cynz.9437

Daily lag in Germany continues, starting from 8 pm (usually lasts 1-2 hours) like on command:

Attachments:

All is Vain~

(edited by Cynz.9437)

Posted by: joeytan.3865

joeytan.3865

So I opened a support ticket on this issue and a gm got back to me, asking me to download something called game advisory and attach the text file it generates, in my rely to him. On top of that I attached a trace route and ping test to the three gw2 ips I got from my resource manager.
After a few hours a gm, Beast T got back to me saying that, most likely my avg was causing it. However it is unlikely that as the latency always starts on fridays and weekends from 12pm gmt onwards and the rest of the time its fine. In any case I deleted my avg(one that I paid for by the way not the free one) just to wait and see what happens.
Also I linked him this thread in case he was unaware of it.
For his and our benefit I would like to ask you guys, how many ppl here are having this ping issue and also running avg.

Posted by: joeytan.3865

joeytan.3865

Also why is your routing station for Asian and Australian playing on NA servers, in Europe?

Posted by: Smartik.9674

Smartik.9674

So I opened a support ticket on this issue and a gm got back to me, asking me to download something called game advisory and attach the text file it generates, in my rely to him. On top of that I attached a trace route and ping test to the three gw2 ips I got from my resource manager.
After a few hours a gm, Beast T got back to me saying that, most likely my avg was causing it. However it is unlikely that as the latency always starts on fridays and weekends from 12pm gmt onwards and the rest of the time its fine. In any case I deleted my avg(one that I paid for by the way not the free one) just to wait and see what happens.
Also I linked him this thread in case he was unaware of it.
For his and our benefit I would like to ask you guys, how many ppl here are having this ping issue and also running avg.

Using Avast and as everyone else was saying, our internet works fine with everything else. All websites, all games, except GW2. It is the most common approach everyone uses to just turn it around and say “the problem is on your end”. Refusing to accept the reality is not a solution. The problem is on theirs. Besides, most of us had the same antivirus for years and this problem started for all of us near exact same time.

Posted by: Maileen.1065

Maileen.1065

I am also having this same issue….any fix or word from Anet about this?

Cynz.9437

My logs clearly show issue between alter.net (Verizon?) and ncsoft servers. Problem is definitely NOT on my end.

All is Vain~