Very low FPS even on good PC

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Winesan.1583

Winesan.1583

Hello,

I have very low FPS. Around 30 (no VSync or fps limit) when just walking around, 15 when looking on bigger scenery, around 5 in bigger fight.

My build:
ASUS EAH6850 DC/2DIS/1GD5/V2 (AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series) (basically hd 6850 factory overclocked by asus)
2x 4 GB 1333 RAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 (3.20 GHz)
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

GW2 is on separate physical HDD from Windows and other software and i run it as admin.

It usually eats something between 1,5 and 2 GB RAM.
My 4 core cpu is usually using around 30-40 % on every core, even after turning 2 cores off for GW 2, didnt change FPS much, only the usage of remaining cores raised.
My graphic card is running at 100% when gw 2 is on. – there might be some problem, thats why im playing around with graphic drivers
Max temp. is 62 °C.

When i tried playing with in-game settings, while looking at bigger scener (harbor in LA) even turning EVERYTHING into lowest, FPS raised just from 15 to 30.
With lowest settings in some cave underground, i get even to 60. But come on.. i runned TERA almost maxed with 20-30 FPS.

What i tried:
- cleaned my pc from dust
- repair GW2 (cant download it again, would take weeks)
- defragment HD
- clean registry
- clean uneccesary and temporary files
- defragment registry
- turn off antivirus/firewall, uninstall antivirus/firewall, switching to different
antivirus/firewall, allowing GW 2 in AV/FW
- virus/spyware/malware scans with different softwares (no, im not using more than one
AV or FW at same time)
- checking for latest GW 2 updates
- checking for latest graphic updates, dx updates, windows updates

What else im going to try:
- uninstall graphic drivers, restart, clean registry, temps, restart, install graphic drivers
again
- use CAPs for CCC, even thought its mainly for crossfireX, i have read, that they
sometimes have some fixes for single cards
- reinstall windows if necessarry.. but this is fairly recent install – 2 months

Posted by: Winesan.1583

Winesan.1583

SOLVED. After some poking around internet, i found few interesting things. First, which doesnt seem to have anything with this problem but worked for some people, going to youtube video, right clicking and turning hardware acceleration off.

It could be that, but it was much more likely DISABLING CPU CORE PARKING.

Quotation from comment by Treelink, from site redddit:
"
Don’t do this if you are not familiar with regedit! You can mess up your computer here!
Go to Regedit
Find this key:- " 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 "
Within this key, there is a value called: " ValueMax "
This value represents the % number of cores the system will park – the default 100% ie: all Cores are potentially park-able
Change the value from 64 to 0 so the " ValueMin " and " ValueMax " are both zero
You will have to find the key a few times and repeat the process for each time it is found – the number of instances will depend on the number of power profiles in your system [ in my DAW it was only found twice ]
Restart the computer.
"

And oh god, the results are amazing. On maxed settings i usualy dont fall under 30 FPS. Not even in LA.
EVEN if the GPU was working 100% then, now it is around 60%, but CPU usage went slightly higher, 2 cores around 80-90% and 2 around 50% (up from 40 on all cores, before disabling parking).
Temps are fine, under load (gw2 almost maxed, LA): ~62C for graphic card (max is around 80) and ~52 C for CPU (max is around 65).

Posted by: Reborn.2934

Reborn.2934

sweet find OP . this proves that win 7,8 is not optimized for games ….

everyone can see that in all recent windows ( 7, 8 ) the power options is set to balanced by default, even you have a gamer pc … and this tweak just do the same as you adjust to advanced the default power option ( balanced ) and change some values to high performance when it is plugged ….

many players are saved by mobo or vga’s drivers programs that change the default power options

(edited by Reborn.2934)

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

All my cores are unparked. All six are running at 4~ ghz. I still suffer FPS drops.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

sweet find OP . this proves that win 7,8 is not optimized for games ….

Windows XP was the start of Windows game optimizing (in my experience)Then Vista made it better, and then Windows 7 perfected it.

Although I could also add, mac isn’t optimized for games either. Who games on a potato? The games on windows to games on Mac ratio can answer that

(edited by Avelos.6798)

Posted by: Kata.6795

Kata.6795

You take total asinine trash that can’t find a decent job… annnnnnnnnnnd… you get anet programming team

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

All my cores are unparked. All six are running at 4~ ghz. I still suffer FPS drops.

If you had a single chip graphics card, your FPS would be insanely high
One of my friends plays on a computer with 12 GB DDR3 and an i7 930 @ 3.3 GHz with GTX 480 two way setup (plays with single mode most of the time preferrably) and he get’s high frame rates in the 100 range in PVE

You take total asinine trash that can’t find a decent job… annnnnnnnnnnd… you get anet programming team

My face when infracted

(edited by Avelos.6798)

Posted by: RoOiKrEeF.4267

RoOiKrEeF.4267

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

If you had a single chip graphics card, your FPS would be insanely high
One of my friends plays on a computer with 12 GB DDR3 and an i7 930 @ 3.3 GHz with GTX 480 two way setup (plays with single mode most of the time preferrably) and he get’s high frame rates in the 100 range in PVE

Interesting.

The only thing I’d say there is that, while I’m tempted to rip out my 5970 and replace it with a GTX780 (with Twin Frozr), I’ve heard that even this card has issues sometimes. That’s quite a lot of cash to splash on a card that isn’t 100% guaranteed to work…

Guess I’d better try those new 13.10 drivers first, eh?

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

I got a 780.. Its EVGA Classified, so its not using the reference design. but still.
I run GW2 on max setitngs with SuperSampling AND DownSampling from 3200×1800 resolution. And the GPU doesnt break a swett. usualy between 50% and 75% usuage with FPS capped at what ever the game engine allows at the time.
I.e Busy LA ~35FPS, WvW Zergs 25 FPS or above. And PvE 60FPS (Vysnc).
A 780 is TOTALLY overkilll for GW2, specialy with its current, and likely only, crappy game engine.
To be honest if ur thinking of dumping that much money on a GPU for Gw2, ur better of buying a more mid range card like a 760 and spending the rest on ether a better CPU, like a 4770k, or a 3770k, aswell as suficient cooling for a OC.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

(edited by SolarNova.1052)