Video driver rebooting

Video driver rebooting

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I’ve been playing on this rig since launch, and have not experienced this issue before or made any significant changes to it, but over the past week or so, the game has been rebooting my video driver about once per day or so. When this happens, both monitors go black (I have dual) for about 3-6 seconds or so, and then come right back up. The game continues playing, everything else is fine, and then a little popup in the corner tells me that my video card has rebooted. Hardly the end of the world in most cases, but rather worrying if this continues.

I have a Geforce GTX 550Ti, running on Windows 7, and this problem only occurs while GW2 is running, and only during the past week or so.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Video driver rebooting

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Thats odd. Can you pull up the event log, and see what error number pops up? Im suspecting some sort of driver conflict that would force a reboot of the card.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Video driver rebooting

Ohoni.6057

It was event ID 4101 “Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.”

The weird thing is, as I say I haven’t changed anything on my end lately (nothing new installed or anything), and this problem is new from within the past week. It doesn’t happen instantly, it always takes at least a half hour or more to happen, and sometimes can go for 2-3 hours and not happen at all.

done by now.”

Video driver rebooting

pdavis.8031

Yeah, that is odd. Try to uninstall and reinstall your drivers and see what happens.
This should walk you through it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/195164-event-id-4101-display-driver-stopped-working.html

If that doesn’t work. Try to do a driver update and see what happens.

Let us know.

recognize my command!”

Video driver rebooting

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

This sounds to me like the “TDR bug” given the description. You can find more info about this on Nvidia’s forums as they do have an official statement regarding the issue.

there is no known single cause of this issue. The common causes are failing power supply, failing video card, corrupt Windows, corrupt drivers and even just simple overheating. Technically speaking, this is an issue Nvidia needs to solve because it’s their TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) system that is crashing the driver. In essence, something is crashing the video driver and instead of locking the entire PC and forcing a reboot, the drivers now crash, you get that error message and they reset, keeping you in Windows. Specifically from that forum post:

How does TDR work? Timeout Detection and Recovery

Windows Vista and later operating systems attempt to detect situations in which computers appear to be completely “frozen.” They then attempt to dynamically recover from the frozen situations so that their desktops are responsive again. This process of detection and recovery is known as timeout detection and recovery (TDR).

Common issues that can cause a TDR:

- Incorrect memory timings or voltages
- Insufficient/problematic PSU
- Corrupt driver install
- Overheating
- Unstable overclocks (GPU or CPU)
- Incorrect MB voltages (generally NB/SB)
- Faulty graphics card
- A badly written driver or piece of software, but this is an unlikely cause in most cases
Driver conflicts

There are no categoric fixes but some users have found that changing the power management mode to ‘Prefer Maximum Performance’ has helped.

Video driver rebooting

pdavis.8031

Hmmm i was not aware of that. Ill have to check that out. But it makes sense.

recognize my command!”

Video driver rebooting

Ohoni.6057

Ok, it’s possible my video card could be giving out. I haven’t had any other issues with it, but the other things don’t seem super likely. I don’t have any sort of exotic situation like overclocking.

done by now.”

Video driver rebooting

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

TDR is not a bug and Nvidia can’t do anything to their drivers that can help failing hardware.

TDR is there to try and reboot the video card when it stops responding for a certain period of time – without having to reboot the computer. If TDR triggers, there’s a very high chance that there’s a hardware problem (I suppose a broken OS might cause this; but I’ve yet to see it).

(edited by abomally.2694)

Video driver rebooting

Posted by: RedZebra.2345

RedZebra.2345

That’s odd, also playing since launch and same as you experienced this since last big patch. Strange thing it’s not a crash only video driver is rebooting. I’m playing on a laptop video 460m. I have always some monitoring stuff on and it’s definitely not a temp problem. The game is still perfectly playing for me, but I noticed some strange behaviours since last patch it’s like the new update started from a source 1 year ago.

(edited by RedZebra.2345)

Video driver rebooting

Posted by: dodgycookies.4562

dodgycookies.4562

my bet is the power supply, everytime i have seen a TDR is from a failing group voltage regulator on the 12v rail.

[ICoa] Blackgate

Video driver rebooting

Posted by: village idiot.1436

village idiot.1436

Under power options, the pci express tab, try setting link state power management to off.

When I encountered the tdr problem it was due to windows power savings being too aggressive. Definitely worth trying before replacing hardware.