View Distance

View Distance

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: theyaN.1287

theyaN.1287

I’m thinking out loud here but I see no reason why not to post this. I’ve noticed the view distance in Guild Wars 2 is insanely high and I believe I can literally see from one zone to another. I, having a mid-specced computer, would like to lower the distance that the game renders as I find it irrelevant and consider it eye-candy. Currently, I’m running the game on possibly the lowest settings on 20-30fps, with rare drops to 15. I believe lowering the distance would fairly increase the games’ performance. I’m just wondering will there ever be the option to do so.

View Distance

Posted by: Mirage.4536

Mirage.4536

Bump.

This would help improve performance a lot on all kinds of hardware and surely help eliminate some
graphical issues people are having when certain areas are taxing their gfx cards to the max.
(I have a 2 year old gaming laptop Core i5 + AMD 5650 that can run a lot ofmodern games on
1280×720 on medium settings. GW2= 1-10 fps on the lowest setting possible.)

I would also like to see an option to adjust how far away you can zoom out from your character and
how far you can zoom in. I find it hard to get an overview in battles most times and sometimes
I would like to zoom to 1st person mode.

View Distance

Posted by: draeath.8536

draeath.8536

A sensible request, but the forums are only open for bugs and technical problems currently. This is neither.

Be patient and wait for them to be happy with forum performance (they will then open the forums fully).

View Distance

Mirage.4536

I currently have a lot of technical problems when I play, we were trying to be helpful as you suggested but to keeo it on forum thread topic policy I could rephrase it:

Low FPS, crashing, graphical Issues.
Screen suddenly freezes showing hundred colors then goes black and then everything returns to normal after 3 seconds. Happens 5 times an hour. 1 in 5 times the game crasches to desktop with notice of “Seriuos error. Unrecoverable graphics error…”

Can’t adjust viewing distance which seems to murder the gfx card in a lot of areas and fights with many mobs/chars involved.

Tech Spec:
Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.93 Ghz
Corsair 2 × 4GB LP 1600Mhz Cas7
Corsair TX-650W PSU
Asus GTX 470 (Nvidia 306.02 Beta driver)
Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
Win 7, 64-bit clean install

Crash-report coming as soon as next crach.

View Distance

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Hi theyaN – I’d like to know what connection method you are using. It appears you may be tethering to your phone for a wireless connection. If this is the case I would recommend attempting to install by connecting directly to your modem via Ethernet cable if you are able to.

Additionally I noticed you have Avast running and quite a few startup applications as well that could also be conflicting with the installation.

View Distance

Posted by: draeath.8536

draeath.8536

View Distance

Mirage.4536

I know, and I will surely post there next time I have a crash.

But we got lucky and an ArenaNet representative took notice of the thread and maybe, just maybe in the future they just might implement a viewing distance restriction to perhaps solve some graphical issues/performance problems.
And I like to live life with a little hope, so I’m happy.

And thx draeath, for your replies also helped in drawing attention to the thread, and thanks for the link to the other thread and trying to help the forum stay on topic, as I’m sure will be needed. And sorry for deviating a bit. ^^