Was my wife hacked?

Was my wife hacked?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

My wife got an email from ANet asking her to verify some one logging in the region listed being China, obviously some one figured out her password but could they still get in if she got the email authentication? I’m wondering if this is connected to the gmail notification she got a week ago where they told her some one from China was trying to log into her email account. She already changed her email password a week ago so perhaps this hacker won’t be able to get in since they can’t accsses the email to authenticate the log in.

Was my wife hacked?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If your wife did not ‘ok’ the email authentication attempt, the ‘hacker’ should not be able to get in. That is what verification is for.

She would do well to runs scans and change all passwords, just to be on the safe side.

To be even more on the safe side, she could create a new, unique email account and associate it with her GW2 account.

Good luck.

Was my wife hacked?

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

If the hacker got into her email account, they could impersonate her to ANET Support and this would allow them to turn off (or on) mobile authentication and certainly get around any email authentication.

Hackers are VERY good at having access to an email account and hiding any evidence of it from the real owner. I’d guess that 80-90% of Anet account hacks happen via hacked email accounts.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Was my wife hacked?

Posted by: GM Talon.8726

GM Talon.8726

Lead Game Master

Hackers are VERY good at having access to an email account and hiding any evidence of it from the real owner. I’d guess that 80-90% of Anet account hacks happen via hacked email accounts.

This is very true (though I don’t have exact percentages on-hand to provide at the moment). The vast majority of compromised accounts that we’ve seen start with the unauthorized individual knowing the password to an e-mail account with a Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2 account associated with it. It’s precisely for this reason that we highly recommend that players not use the same password for their e-mail account and their Guild Wars 2 account.