Weird notification sound.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Cronnix.7541

Cronnix.7541

Hi everyone,

I’ve lately stumbled upon a quite annoying problem. Ever since I’ve bought a soundcard (asus xonar), I’ve been hearing a single, short notification alike sound at completely random intervals. It sound similar to facebook notification, or the clip-clop sound you make with your tongue.

It occurs in every zone, and I haven’t been successful at tying it to anything in particular, although I suspect it may be a notification for guild logins? It is very faint, and it’s only due to increased clarity with the sound card that I was able to distinguish it. However once I noticed it on my machine with sound card, I was able to hear it on my home rig too, that has no sound card.

Any ideas where to the source of this sound, and how I could disable it?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I’ve been hearing that since I first got the game nearly a year ago. I kept looking around the screen for something highlighted or blinking and finding nothing. No invites, no mail, no whispers.

Is it possible that when something we have on the TP sells or an order filled we get a slight tonal notification?

Whatever the cause I now simply chalk it up to game quirks.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Cronnix.7541

I’ve been hearing that since I first got the game nearly a year ago. I kept looking around the screen for something highlighted or blinking and finding nothing. No invites, no mail, no whispers.

Is it possible that when something we have on the TP sells or an order filled we get a slight tonal notification?

Whatever the cause I now simply chalk it up to game quirks.

I don’t tend to put anything on TP, so I doubt that’s the issue. I too would chalk it up to the game quirks, if it wasn’t so obvious and borderline annoying with my sound card. Good to know it’s not just me tho!

Cronnix.7541

Anybody knows any solution?

Cronnix.7541

Guys? It’s getting lonely in here..

Posted by: Dan.5416

Dan.5416

a single, short notification alike sound at completely random intervals. It sound similar to facebook notification, or the clip-clop sound you make with your tongue.

It’s Skype. Disable sound notification of contacts coming online in it.

Cronnix.7541

a single, short notification alike sound at completely random intervals. It sound similar to facebook notification, or the clip-clop sound you make with your tongue.

It’s Skype. Disable sound notification of contacts coming online in it.

It isn’t. If it was skype, I’m pretty sure I’d hear the sound outside of game too. Nevertheless, I’ve had the sound for skype contacts disabled from the start, on both machines.

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

I don’t have Skype and I hear it too. It sounds like a loud “clack” (I wear headphones). It’s completely random and annoying. I’ve heard it since I started playing in Dec 2012. I just ignore it, but I would sure like to know what it is.

Posted by: Xystus.3241

Xystus.3241

Any chance you could record it?

Xyssi – Asura Guardian
Xystus Furtim – Human Theif
Server: Stormbluff Ilse

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Hi Cronnix – This sounds like it may be coming from another application. Have you tried Msconfig so you could rule this possibility out?

Behellagh.1468

If I’m hearing what Cronnix is hearing it sounds an awful lot like the various alert tones such like the ones you get with email, a party invite or whisper but muted.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Sanguis.9403

Sanguis.9403

I think I know what Cronnix is talking about. I get The same sound randomly at times and it sounds almost exactly like the sound you get when someone whispers you and every time I check there is no notification or whisper to speak of (only happens in game). I don’t mind it so much, thought it was just me, but this thread confirms that it’s not.

Cronnix.7541

I am so glad it’s not just me! Thought I was going insane for a moment.

Hi Cronnix – This sounds like it may be coming from another application. Have you tried Msconfig so you could rule this possibility out?

Hi, the issue is happening on a brand new Windows install with almost no applications running. The only ones that are running and can produce such sounds are skype, which I’ve already ruled out.

Please note that this sound is only heard when ingame, making it highly unlikely to come from third party app. It also occurs on two different machines, which have very few apps in common other than skype and steam.

I will try recording it, but looks like I’m not alone with the issue.

If I’m hearing what Cronnix is hearing it sounds an awful lot like the various alert tones such like the ones you get with email, a party invite or whisper but muted.

Yes, quite similar. Muffled “clack”/“cling” sound.

(edited by Cronnix.7541)

Xystus.3241

Its not the sound of an event finishing? Maybe one you were in the area, but didn’t participate?

Xyssi – Asura Guardian

Cronnix.7541

Its not the sound of an event finishing? Maybe one you were in the area, but didn’t participate?

I highly doubt that, as I didn’t see any kind of indicators of nearby events when sound went off, and it happens literally anywhere.

Posted by: Archon Trieste.3109

Archon Trieste.3109

I get that same tone. I thought it was when something sold on the TP

Cronnix.7541

I get that same tone. I thought it was when something sold on the TP

Someone suggested it before, but the tone is way too common to be correlated to my TP sales, and often occurs even when I have nothing for sale.

Posted by: nate.5108

nate.5108

I get it too..sounds a bit like a trade event (sort of like money dropping into a box to me). I could be on my own in the wilderness with nothing trading and it happens.
Also, it’s GW2 specific,

Xystus.3241

Would be nice if someone could record it.

Xyssi – Asura Guardian

Behellagh.1468

I noticed it when I’m attacking so maybe it’s an audio indicator that you had a crit.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: ENDREBUILD.7053

ENDREBUILD.7053

you sure it isnt your endurance refill noise?

Cronnix.7541

you sure it isnt your endurance refill noise?

Now I feel stupid.. Thank you for alerting me to that, it all makes sense now Q_Q

Behellagh.1468

There’s a endurance refill noise?

This game is documented worse than my parent’s new Ford. Who writes a car manual that doesn’t tell you what all the buttons on the dash are for or even where the rear defrost button is. There’s a section on the rear defroster but they don’t show you where the button is. Upside you can ask the car to turn on the rear defroster, sort of. Also the steering wheel has more controls than an console controller. My parents have trouble with all the buttons on the DVR/Cable box remote.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: ENDREBUILD.7053

ENDREBUILD.7053

Welcome. I only know this because i had gone through the same insanity.

Posted by: xerca.6135

xerca.6135

Idk, but when I had the UI sound up, I used to get this short alert sound whenever someone sent a /whisper to me. Is it that you hear?

(edited by xerca.6135)