What is being done about AMD CPU performance?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

Thanks Virtual,

I ran it and I seen no performance difference what so ever.

Amd FX 8150

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

Posted by: VirtualBS.3165

VirtualBS.3165

It would be really interesting to see anyone with an FX-8150 report Windows 8 figures. I’ve seen some early reports stating a 10% increase on certain games, due to the new Windows 8 CPU scheduler.

Posted by: Fozee.1083

Fozee.1083

Windows 8 shows no improvement to performance or CPU usage for my FX-4100, but I’d imagine it would be more apparent with the FX-8150.

BioWare/Mythic Moderator, Terror Squid, and Funparty

Posted by: Phara Miu.2816

Phara Miu.2816

Arenanet is working with AMD to get performance increased in a offical post.

Also AMD has lost battle ater battle after battle with Intel for gaming for the last 4 years…..
It should be a clear indication that if you want max prformance in games you should have bought a Intel Processor.

You cant blame Arenenet for AMD’s lack of power people sorry. and running on 4000mhz or 5000 mhz is only a very small increase in power for gaming, its proven in alot of gaming benchmarks that mhz aint the holy graill.

300 mhz in a I7 gives around 2 /5 fps gain.

I left AMD after the AMD Athlon x64 3000 and bought the I7 920 2.6 mhz, iam still using it and still it performs good enough not to warrant a better upgrade.
Altough iam looking for the I7 3750K iam still waiting for price drops.

Posted by: Teknobug.3782

Teknobug.3782

Intel has been ahead of AMD in terms of top end benchmark performance for years, but that doesn’t mean AMD isn’t viable- I’ve had no problems with AMD over the years. Skipping first generation was the best thing to do when it comes to AMD (Athlon, Athlon MP, Phenom and now FX “Bulldozer”). Back then Intel introduced the Celeron line which gave a big fat huge cost:performance ratio and every hardcore PC user flocked to them which caused AMD to create the Duron line (of course that fell behind as well), I myself had a whopping dual Celeron 533MHz system clocked at 1.1GHz per CPU, it was pure insanity at the time and I also had an AMD Duron 900MHz system at the same time and it barely could play half the games I had (Moenia was super laggy in SWG on it).

When Moz made that boneheaded thread about how FX falls behind and assuming Phenom II users can’t play this game resulting in that thread getting bombarded by users that are playing this game with Phenom II’s (including me) with nearly zero issues. Moral of the subject is: not all AMD’s are junk, the Phenom II’s are among the best AMD has had since the K6-3+, Athlon Slot A and Athlon II X64 (or Sempron).

Yak’s Bend WvWvW’er [Mount Phoenix Imperials]
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 ram | Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB (14.2)
Win 8 Pro 64bit

Posted by: abhorash.2915

abhorash.2915

AMD cpu has not problem with this game, intel cpu has same poor fps during wvwvw huge zerg. My neighbouri has i5-2500 but we have same low fps in wvwvw.

When i5 will have 50+ during wvwvw zerg and AMD no, is wise to say AMD its bad for this game. I have 50+ in pve and spvp as well as intel.

AMD X6 1045T @ 3.4GHz | 8GB DDR3 | Sapphire HD 7950 OC 950Mhz

Posted by: Esrever.8613

Esrever.8613

4 or 6 physical cores are different from a 2 or 4 core with hyperthreading.

Physical cores (eg X6 1090T):

Hyperthreaded 6 cores (eg FX6100):
1->4
2->5
3->6

Intel’s HT technology is better than AMD’s FX HT technology, for now i3 and i7’s has HT, not sure if the Pentium G series do or not.

thats now how it works on the FX, cores on bulldozers are thus:
1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8
at least under windows 7, I have tested this on my laptop with a 4655m with the first 4 cores. Since the game uses 4 threads, I can’t set affinity for my computer with only 2 modules. Anyways the modules are much more efficient than intel’s hyperthreading, there is just not very good software support for it.

sllaw eht no nettirw gnihtemos saw ecno ereht

Posted by: Unpredictability.4086

Unpredictability.4086

One thing that hasn’t been brought up is the compilier? How is the game being compiled? What if they just made one Intel optimized client and one AMD optimized client? I know that GCC compilier has the bdver1 option that uses a lot of Bulldozer’s instruction sets and such, getting better performance.

Posted by: Gibbel.5734

Gibbel.5734

My phenom II running at 4 ghz HD6870x2 gives me like 11 fps in the biggest WvW possible..

anyone with a similiar setup getting more ?
Normal PVE it’s average between 40-70 Everything but shadow/reflections maxed.

Might upgrade to a I5 3750 can someone tell me what fps they get with that cpu in a MASSIVE WvW

Posted by: Esrever.8613

Esrever.8613

from what I seen, the i5 gets good 60+ fps generally in wvw with drops to 20 fps during large battles.

sllaw eht no nettirw gnihtemos saw ecno ereht

Posted by: SHUYIN.8940

SHUYIN.8940

I have a video comparing the FX-8350 with i5-3570k in Guild Wars 2 frame rate performance. It shows open world fps and LA fps for both systems.