Where Can I Get Help Activating Guild Wars 1?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

I have a brand new copy of the original Guild Wars and I’m trying to use the Redeem Code button in my GW account (the one I used to register HoT) and it’s telling me the code I’m entering isn’t recognised .. it’s the one on the back of the Trilogy pack’s Game Card!

The code isn’t in the same format shown in the tooltip for the Redeem Dialog but I see nowhere else to enter it.

(edited by Kraggy.4169)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Installation and Access Key redemption instructions for Guild Wars (One):

Once you have received your Access Key, follow these directions to download, install, and register your Guild Wars account:

Download the Guild Wars client.
Run GwSetup.exe to install the Guild Wars client on your PC.
At the log-in screen, click the “Create Account or Add Access Key” link.
Enter your Access Key and follow the registration directions.

http://www.guildwars.com/en/download

Good luck.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Follow Inculpatus’ instructions. GW1 codes can’t be registered through the GW2 website, you’ll have to create an account through the launcher

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Er, sorry, I’m confused.

In my Anet account I can buy both GW1 and GW2, and I can redeem GW2 codes but NOT GW1?

I have to create a second Anet account to register my GW1, then link it to my GW2 Anet account simply so I can use my GW2 Anet account login for GW1?

This all seems kind of redundant. Why can’t I simply redeem my GW1 code in my SINGLE ANet account to be able to login to GW1 with my SINGLE Anet account?

I appreciate the help here but having to have a second Anet account for GW1 seems entirely redundant.

It seems so unnecessary to have two accounts! With Trion I have one account I can play any of their games, with WOW I have one account where I can play any of their games, is GW1/GW2 not like that?

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Because Guild Wars 1 is a 10 year old game that is no longer supported and is in maintenance mode. The GW1 system was set up different to how GW2 is set up and it was done with the expectation that most people would be moving from GW1 to GW2. I don’t think they’re really overly concerned about new players to GW1.

It’s worth pointing out that Trion is both publisher and developer. Arenanet is just the developer, their games are published/distributed by NCSoft and as such they’re not in total control of everything. You’re not making a fair comparison.

The account is actually one account – once you link them together. But yes you do have to create a ‘separate’ account to begin with. It might be in part because GW1 used to be linked to the NCSoft account system.

Use the same email address and the same password and then link them together (at which point changing the password on one changes it for both). It’s not exactly difficult and you don’t really have a choice. Anet are unlikely to go back and change anything relating to GW1 at this point given that so few people are buying GW1 at this stage and most of them probably don’t have a huge problem with creating an account.