Which iMac is enough?

Which iMac is enough?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Cruzy.3706

Cruzy.3706

Hi there,

I have a question about two iMacs and their specs.

Version 1:
2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) with 6MB L3 cache
8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory
1TB (5400-rpm) hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

Version 2:
3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz) with 6MB L3 cache
8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory
1TB (7200-rpm) hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M graphics processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory

With which Versio can I play GW2 in high to maximum resolution?

Thank you very much

Which iMac is enough?

Posted by: SonofNoob.3102

SonofNoob.3102

Version 2 will load faster (better hard drive speed) and run at a higher framerate (better CPU and GPU). If you can afford both, I’d go with version 2. It will last longer.

Which iMac is enough?

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

Just a warning, you’ll probably want to get windows for your iMac. It will run Gw2 better than the mac beta version, in my experience anyway.

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

Which iMac is enough?

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Version 2 by far.

But IIRC the mac’s resolution is higher then 1080p, and that will push that CPU on V2 to its limit with the game. So do NOT expect to run the game at a greater then 1080p res on ultra game settings and get 60+ FPS everywhere.

Zergs will hit the hardest, drops down in mid to low 20’s at best with fully queued mapps and such.

Also, run windows if you can, the MacOSX client is ‘beta’ and from what I have been seeing, sucks. The game is developed more actively for windows (gets more updates and such) then for MacOSX.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Which iMac is enough?

Posted by: Cruzy.3706

Cruzy.3706

Thanks for you opinions everybody.

One more question:
If I run the Version 2 on 1920 × 1080 would it be a much better experience and more FPS?

And yes i will probably run GW2 on windows.
Thanks again for your help

Which iMac is enough?

Posted by: iFruit.6190

iFruit.6190

iMac is not a gaming rig. Any NVIDIA card with an M on the end is not a gaming card. You will have to impose limitations even on older gen games and hope that future ones will at least run at all on it.

I have long learned that a custom game rig and a separate comp for work is the optimal solution. And Mac is just a cool thing to have for status purposes and interior decoration.

Which iMac is enough?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

iMac is not a gaming rig. Any NVIDIA card with an M on the end is not a gaming card. You will have to impose limitations even on older gen games and hope that future ones will at least run at all on it.

I have long learned that a custom game rig and a separate comp for work is the optimal solution. And Mac is just a cool thing to have for status purposes and interior decoration.

The iMac uses laptop/low power components (usually) in an all in one desktop unit. That’s why there’s an M at the end of the GPU name. So an iMac is just a laptop that sits on a desk with an insanely large display at an absurd resolution. Once you wrap your brain around that description it’s no difference than someone asking about which laptop is better.

The GTX 775M falls between the desktop GTX 570 and 580 in relative GPU performance.

The answer here as others have said is the 2nd choice is a faster system but likely not fast enough for your stated requirement of “in high to maximum resolution”.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes