Why is Chrome making Guild Wars run better?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: RedBlood.2587

RedBlood.2587

Q:

So I have to open up Chrome before Guild Wars 2 to get the max 60 fps (I have it locked to 60). If i don’t open chrome before, my performance will go down to ~32 fps. It’s not much of a problem, but why is this happening?

Posted by: NeedCoffee.1402

NeedCoffee.1402

this is an interesting post.

maybe chrome is set to run at high performance power setting, and anything else that is running at the same time will also be in high performance.

what ver. of chrome are you running? I’ll play with it when I get home.

Asus RIVE * i7 3820 E @4.7 Ghz (on air) * Asus GTX 670 * Asus VG248QE * 16gb G-Skill Ripjaw z 2133

Posted by: Max Gladius.6930

Max Gladius.6930

I have heard things about outside influences into different games performances.

Some aspects of the game use what can be consitered a “browser / html plugin” such as the BLTP is actually a plugin (awsomium) to the game, as are all the other menues.

I assume your Chrome settings are set to allow better CPU and GPU performance, those settings are carying over into the processing of the game….

Basically, Chrome is inflicting specific computer processing changes that GW2 doesnt…

I am not game developer expert or such things… But i read it on the internet and stayed at a Holiday Inn last night… so I have that going for me…

Posted by: Leetsura.3507

Leetsura.3507

This sounds like when I had to have VLC open in the background to make the sound in Saints row the third work properly.

Gonna swim with the big fish. You’re gonna get your wish. Ooooooo. Little barracuda.
When you awake, quaggans will be here, and there’ll be a crab cake, just for you…
oooOOOOOoooooOOOoooo…

Posted by: RedBlood.2587

RedBlood.2587

My laptop is at performance mode all the time and before someone asks, no I don’t have an integrated graphics card I’m using 750m Sli. I can’t see how chrome will make my cpu perform better when it’s already performing at highest capacity (i7 4700MQ)

Posted by: NeedCoffee.1402

NeedCoffee.1402

what ver. of chrome are you using? And.what plugins do you have installed for it?

do you play any browser games? ones that require the unity plugin?

off-topic: a laptop with sli? that’s awesome. how hot does it get?

Asus RIVE * i7 3820 E @4.7 Ghz (on air) * Asus GTX 670 * Asus VG248QE * 16gb G-Skill Ripjaw z 2133

(edited by NeedCoffee.1402)

Posted by: Max Gladius.6930

Max Gladius.6930

This sounds like when I had to have VLC open in the background to make the sound in Saints row the third work properly.

I have heard multiple people comment on having Windows Media Player open in the background for multiple games to perform better, especially during cut scenes and other animations….

http://wow.joystiq.com/2007/12/19/media-player-boosts-wow-performance/

It all makes perfect sense if you dont think about it…

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

That happens when your GPU goes into ‘sleep’ state. Some newer GPUs have low power mode kitten-S7 now. And, as much as I hate to say it, not all the driver packs out there fully support these modes.

I see this especially with the newer AMD GPUs (Anything thats an HD7790 or newer) and Nvidia’s 750-770 models. I am sure there are other models that have this issue too.

MY workaround is to install MSI afterburner, and set the power slider to +4. This has fixed the issue every time with out the need to run any other application before launching your games.

You can verify the issue by running GPU-Z, and watching your Core Clock. When the sleep state is enabled and ‘locked’ your Core sits between 300Mhz, and 650Mhz (just enough to playback BluRay media). When you enable that +4, your Core Clock will start to max out.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: MrFayth.3546

MrFayth.3546

That happens when your GPU goes into ‘sleep’ state. Some newer GPUs have low power mode kitten-S7 now. And, as much as I hate to say it, not all the driver packs out there fully support these modes.

I see this especially with the newer AMD GPUs (Anything thats an HD7790 or newer) and Nvidia’s 750-770 models. I am sure there are other models that have this issue too.

Can confirm this is the problem. It’s called PowerPlay for AMD GPUs and i had a hell of a time diagnosing what was causing the terrible performance with my 260×.
PowerPlay downclocks your core/mem to 300/150 to save power when the GPU is “idle”.

The problem comes when you start a game the core speed doesnt want to max out,mine was around 900mhz(should be 1150) in Tomb Raider,which made it a stuttery mess, but Gw2 wouldnt push the core above 400mhz.

Turning if off via MSI Afterburner is the easiest solution i can find untill they tweak the sensitivities

i5 4690k @4.1ghz, r7 260x 1180/1680,8Gb G.skill Ripjaw 2133, 120gb ssd Gw2+OS