Why is there a Profanity Filter?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Michael Henninger.7451

Michael Henninger.7451

Game Support Lead

Next

You weren’t suspended for saying “I am a ****ing legend” – you were suspended for impersonation which generally calls for immediate termination of the account. I’d advise you to be honest with yourself and the community before posting accusatory diatribes that you know are irrelevant.

GM Delicious Intent
Twitter: @ANetCSLead
GM Delicious Intent.5928

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Further to what Michael said, the profanity filter is there to protect people who don’t want to see profanity at all. It still does not give you the right to verbally abuse other people or be a skritt-head.

Since CS only acts on profanity when somebody reports it (they don’t monitor private or guild chat), I very much doubt that your swearing was used in a friendly or self-deprecating manner. If you were just swearing up a storm with friends (say, a guild dungeon run went horribly wrong) and someone reported you anyway, then it’s an issue you should raise with your friends.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

If you read what Michael posted, USUSALLY you are banned for that. You were just suspended. If you really want to argue with Anet about that, then go right ahead. No offense, but I highly doubt people are going to believe you over Anet. And here is why:

1) You were suspended for impersonation (which you admitted to, and that was dumb to even try in the first place).
2) You had your display name changed because of it was inappropriate.

Your record clearly shows you make poor choices. I highly doubt this current suspension was unjustified. If you want someone to check into your current ban, submit a ticket like everyone else has to. Michael isn’t on the forums to tend to your needs, that is what CS is for.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

Bottom line is, you can’t reban a player for something he already served. You make a lot of assumptions and I won’t blame you, but if I shared evidence with you, you would quickly switch your opinion and see how truely shortcoming this investigation was.

Please do justify to me banning a player twice for one infraction. It simply doesn’t make sense and I don’t really expect you to see that. You’re clearly more informed than me, on everything I’ve experienced

because you send in a ticket and bring to thee attention that they simply suspended you when you should be banned?

You are doing some despicable things in my opinion and i doubt you will find sympathy here. As far as I am concerned, you should be suspended for the profanity regardless.

You made a reference to the concept of a “mature” player base as a justification for allowing you to use profanities. When in fact a mature player base would be mature enough to express themselves and have fun while avoiding profanities. Maturity is not purely defined by age, but by the ability to be adult like in the ability to be respectful as well.

Posted by: twojackson.5607

twojackson.5607

Yea it totally makes logical sense to re-ban players for past infractions. Thread closed because a fair investigation is not going to occur. Thank you for you time.

SHADOWJEDI — currently undefeated in over 100 official wager duels.

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

Yea it totally makes logical sense to re-ban players for past infractions. Thread closed because a fair investigation is not going to occur. Thank you for you time.

There’s a suspension, and a ban.

Bans are permanent. You rarely get re-banned due to this fact.

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

You want a “fair investigation” on a thread where you lied about the reason for your suspension. Oookay.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

You want a “fair investigation” on a thread where you lied about the reason for your suspension. Oookay.

This is a guy who had to have his display name changed because it crossed ToS. Whose original post was his claim he was banned for excessive profanity, and that the profanity filter should protect him from bannings. Who had it pointed out to him that he was suspended, not banned, for impersonation (at which point he was lucky it was a suspension and not a ban). Who doesn’t know the difference between a suspension and a ban.

Expecting logic or the truth might be expecting too much.

twojackson.5607

This is a guy who had to have his display name changed because it crossed ToS. Whose original post was his claim he was banned for excessive profanity, and that the profanity filter should protect him from bannings. Who had it pointed out to him that he was suspended, not banned, for impersonation (at which point he was lucky it was a suspension and not a ban). Who doesn’t know the difference between a suspension and a ban.

Expecting logic or the truth might be expecting too much.

Ahh another misinformed post. Allow me to point out your lack of logic: I never asked for protection of profanity filter, only wanted an explanation as to its purpose. Also you fail to realize that a suspension is also a temporary ban. And a temporary ban? Well that is obviously a type of ban. Your (lack of) logic and reading comprehension are laughable. I do await another comedic reply. But I admit, expecting any type of logical rebuttal other than “Well you did something bad so you deserve two temporary bans” is expecting a bit much. But it’ll be great to see the outcome of an actual investigation, as it would prove me to not be as much of an idiot as you attempt to make me seem.

(edited by twojackson.5607)

twojackson.5607

And heres another misinformed post. I didn’t lie about anything at all. I had already served a temporary ban for impersonation and it was lifted. I now have been suspended again and was wondering why.

As Michael Henninger pointed out, it seems either I was suspended again for the same incident or it just demonstrates a lack of effort on his part to actually read my reports.

Now I would agree, looking for a fair investigation given the circumstances you assume are true would be stupid. But unfortunately, for you, I am right. Its easy to jump to the side of the GMs but in this case, they simply failed to properly observe my report or tickets.

twojackson.5607

There’s a suspension, and a ban.

Bans are permanent. You rarely get re-banned due to this fact.

A suspension, by definition, is a temporary ban is it not?

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Hey twojackson,

If you’d like our official terminology, here it is:
A suspension is a suspension — a halting of your ability to play on a temporary basis.
A ban is an account termination.

No, we’re not going to go with “temporary ban” because that’s like a “temporary death” and it just doesn’t work for us.

I did a little looking into this and I’m going to close this thread. Please be advised that with the in-game antics you committed, the offensive chat you used, not to mention a display name that was offensive and had to be changed, you’re sort of “on borrowed time” about now, in both the game and forum sense.

Amongst all your posts — which you put up and deleted in large numbers — you’re missing the main point:

• You impersonated an employee of Anet about a month ago
    * You said some really unpleasant comments a few days ago in the game
  • You chose an unacceptable display name
  • You created a thread to argue CS decisions, when you should have discussed via ticket. (See our Forums CoC for more info.)
  • You used the forums to post misinformation about the situation
  • You posted and removed about a dozen posts

When you’re in the game or on the forums, please use greater wisdom in the future.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Oh and keep in mind: The Profanity Filter is not in place to give you or any other player “Permission to Swear.” The Profanity Filter is a means to allow some level of personal selection on what a player does and does not see, but it is by no means intended to serve as a 100% solution to the bad choices of others.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet