Will it run gw2 decently?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Wizeled.9430

Wizeled.9430

Hey guys, I ordered a laptop for my brother to play gw2 on. It had to be a laptop since he travels a lot and i wasn’t quite wealthy at this time of the year so I ordered this:

ACER E5-573G-59CD
Intel Core i5-5200U2.7 GHz
8gb ram
NVÍDIA GeForce 940M 4GB
1366 × 768
1TB Disk

Posted by: Nitro.4732

Nitro.4732

Hi Wizeled,

I believe this setup should be fine to run the game however probably at Low-Medium settings?

Here is an idea, Download the game onto a memory stick and take it to your local shop/high street and ask if you can play the game on the laptop (or one with similar spec) to determine if the laptop is suitable for your needs.

My friends Laptop is:

Intel Core i5-4200U 2.3GHz
4GB Ram
Nvidia 740M 2GB
1366 × 768

This runs Guild Wars 2 smoothly enough for him with average of ~40FPS on LOW settings.

I hope this is helpful to your decision making.

~Nitro

CoolerMaster Masterbox 5 | H110i | AMD Ryzen R7 1800x 4.0GHz | 32GB DDR4
512GB Samsung 950pro | 2TB SATA-3 | AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

Low to medium settings? You gotta be kidding me. I know that it will do better than low to medium.

I have a HP Envy laptop with an Intel Core i7 4510U. That’s basically a dual core hyperthreading CPU that will play GW2 at 2.8 GHz. It has an 840M Nvidia graphics processor. It plays Guild Wars 2 at max settings at a resolution of 1366 × 768.

Yes max settings. Your computer will do just fine, because it’s not far from what I already play on my laptop, and that’s with max.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: NilSatis.6720

NilSatis.6720

To get the best value from a gaming laptop; you need to look at custom type builds. The best value for money for laptop gaming is the Sager/Clevo line of laptop; look at these. They offer decent specs; and good cooling, which means they are a lot better for gaming. If in fact that laptop ships with a similar resolution as Lolis did; they are right- it will run the game a lot better than at 1080p resolution; but wont look good. For any other game, that laptop will be pretty bad; saved a little by the (now) out of date resolution. Its not a gaming laptop, and if you need that portability; spend a bit more and get one that will work well as a gaming laptop. Stay away from brands such as HP/Dell etc for these laptops if you would like a gaming one.

I would advise you to read the current threads about the problem with Nvidia Laptop cards and gw2 on Windows 10 too. There are work arounds but it is a major problem. Search for “stuck at map loading screen”. This is a problem for anyone/everyone on this setup btw. Not specific to one hardware configuration. There is no way to avoid this currently for win 10 laptop owners who use Nvidia cards; so check out the workarounds in the forum. Anet needs to fix this, but has done nothing since November.

Posted by: Nitro.4732

Nitro.4732

Low to medium settings? You gotta be kidding me. I know that it will do better than low to medium.

I have a HP Envy laptop with an Intel Core i7 4510U. That’s basically a dual core hyperthreading CPU that will play GW2 at 2.8 GHz. It has an 840M Nvidia graphics processor. It plays Guild Wars 2 at max settings at a resolution of 1366 × 768.

Yes max settings. Your computer will do just fine, because it’s not far from what I already play on my laptop, and that’s with max.

I am perhaps being conservative with my judgement in that case then.

CoolerMaster Masterbox 5 | H110i | AMD Ryzen R7 1800x 4.0GHz | 32GB DDR4
512GB Samsung 950pro | 2TB SATA-3 | AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB

Posted by: Wizeled.9430

Wizeled.9430

To get the best value from a gaming laptop; you need to look at custom type builds. The best value for money for laptop gaming is the Sager/Clevo line of laptop; look at these. They offer decent specs; and good cooling, which means they are a lot better for gaming. If in fact that laptop ships with a similar resolution as Lolis did; they are right- it will run the game a lot better than at 1080p resolution; but wont look good. For any other game, that laptop will be pretty bad; saved a little by the (now) out of date resolution. Its not a gaming laptop, and if you need that portability; spend a bit more and get one that will work well as a gaming laptop. Stay away from brands such as HP/Dell etc for these laptops if you would like a gaming one.

I would advise you to read the current threads about the problem with Nvidia Laptop cards and gw2 on Windows 10 too. There are work arounds but it is a major problem. Search for “stuck at map loading screen”. This is a problem for anyone/everyone on this setup btw. Not specific to one hardware configuration. There is no way to avoid this currently for win 10 laptop owners who use Nvidia cards; so check out the workarounds in the forum. Anet needs to fix this, but has done nothing since November.

I appreciate your answer but you are deviating from the point. I don’t want opinions on what latop or brand to buy, I’m really only interested in knowing if it will be able to run this game decently. Notice I didn’t say it was a gaming laptop I was looking for as my brother really only plays gw2 league and Cs go. I’m sure this laptop can run those other 2 just fine. I just wanted to know how well will it run gw2 on that resolution. I don’t want to sound rude or anything. As for the Nvidia issues that’s unfortunate and I’m sure he’ll get around it. Also if I had money and time to spare I would buy something better but that’s not an option now.