Will this work (CPU/Processor)

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Nova.6902

Nova.6902

Q:

Hey guys, I’m calling out to the people who know about this sort of thing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-FX-8150-Eight-Core-Processor/dp/B005UBNLFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346784930&sr=8-1

This is the new processor I am looking at – I want to know if it will fit.
If not, does anyone know one that will with a £150 budget?

Would be very thankful

I’ve posted a print screen from CPU-Z

I know there is not a lot of information from me, but I really don’t know what to say lol , If you need more info just say and I’ll do my best to get it back here.

Attachments:

Posted by: Brem.6792

Brem.6792

A:

If it is Pricer/perfomance you are affter stay away from the Bulldozer CPU’s

When it comes to games like GW2 or WoW are very CPU intensive, the Bulldozer CPU’s beacuase of there design are slower for gaming even compared to Intels old core 2 quads and there own Phenom 2 quad/ hex cores.

Basicly unless you have lots of programs that will use all 8 cores on a FX 8150 then there not worth the price

Your best bet for your curent mobo would be a q9650 @3ghz which you can pick up from ebay for around £100/150, or if you wanted to upgrade curently the best 2 CPU’s on the market for gaming are the i5 2500k/3570k.

They don’t cost much more than the FX 8150 not much differance in perfomance between the i5 2600k/3570k less than 5% in most things so just go with which ever one is cheapest.

Something like this
CPU
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-404-IN
Mobo
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-518-AS

Posted by: leroythered.9863

leroythered.9863

That processor will not work. You have an Intel system and that is an AMD processor; they are not compatible. Can you post a screenshot of the Mainboard and Graphics tabs of CPU-Z?

Posted by: tavril.7109

tavril.7109

That processor won’t work with your motherboard.

CPU-Z reports you have a Socket 775, so any new CPU you get that you want to use on that motherboard will also need to be Socket 775. Also, you’ll want to check with your motherboard manufacturer to ensure that it does support whatever new CPU you might buy.

Socket 775 has been superseded by a few other sockets since then, so you may not be able to get anything hugely faster for that socket, so you’d need to upgrade your motherboard, and maybe other components. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend, really.

Another thing – you currently have an Intel processor, and the FX is an AMD processor, and those aren’t ever compatible either.

Sanctum of Rall
Qalciut, Rawtor Rendfist, Qavril, Vertabran, Qxxl, Qorval, Qamtel, Qevxl

Nova.6902

Ah, I figured as much when I looked up what 775 pin was =/

Any info on a good motherboard to buy that will fit that Bulldozer? Good performance for good price is what I’m looking for. So any price range really that’s not ultra gaming price I suppose.

It’s a shame, but thanks to you I’m not going to blow up my system any time soon

Posted by: Creaky.8596

Creaky.8596

Leroythered and Tavril are correct.

A Q9300 (£209.98) , Q9450 (£295.98) or a Q9550 (£329.98) will fit in that socket but keep in mind that the cost is much higher than buying a brand new processor that would run circles around them for less.

If you buy a new Intel motherboard (socket 1155, ~£70-£150.00) , processor (i5-2500k (£166.97) or i7-2600k (£230.30) and ram (~£50.00 to £99.00) you will get a much better bang for your buck and a system that will last you for years to come.

You could also go with an AMD setup but in benchmarks AMD’s performance in GW2 is rather meh. A super cheap Intel i3 is better than most processors from AMD. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-performance-benchmark,3268-7.html

Best of luck.

(edited by Creaky.8596)

Posted by: leroythered.9863

leroythered.9863

A couple things to add on to Creaky:

Yeah, looking at your options in replacing just the processor, it probably isn’t worth the money.

May I ask why you are looking to upgrade? Are you doing things that are processor heavy?

If you are looking to improve graphics and game performance, you may be better off with a graphics card update (depending on what you have already).

Also, am I right to assume this is a pre-built system you bought retail? If so, you’ll want to give us the make and model. A lot of name-brand computers use smaller cases and mATX motherboards, so you might need to take that in mind if you plan to reuse the case.

If you do plan on building a new system from scratch (it can be a fun project and not as daunting as it seems after you do some research), I would direct you to the system builder forums over at Tom’s Hardware or Eggxpert. They both have a helpful community and are willing to give advice to people new to system building.

Nova.6902

You have all helped me greatly. I thank you all for your tips and info. I know feel a little smarter and feel I know what I now want to do. Sadly, I can only give 1 of you te best answer. I’d have to go with Brem as he gave me some quite nice and affordable links.

Thank you all again.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

All you people that say bulldozer suck,Sorry but you couldnt be more wrong.Im running the game on a 8120,not even a 8150,have it oc\d to 4.6 and i have yet to see my fps drop lower then 40,max is well over 100. 2x GTX 560ti aswell,but their barely being touched,hoping nvidia will fix the issue of sli usage problem for this game,or its on arenanets side,no idea,but i know my cards can do better though.Anyway the Fx serie is seriously not a bad cpu,underrated.At stock i agree it kinda blows and not worth its money,this cpu will only start to shine when oc’d to atleast 4.4,you’re all set then.

Posted by: Brem.6792

Brem.6792

All you people that say bulldozer suck,Sorry but you couldnt be more wrong.Im running the game on a 8120,not even a 8150,have it oc\d to 4.6 and i have yet to see my fps drop lower then 40,max is well over 100. 2x GTX 560ti aswell,but their barely being touched,hoping nvidia will fix the issue of sli usage problem for this game,or its on arenanets side,no idea,but i know my cards can do better though.Anyway the Fx serie is seriously not a bad cpu,underrated.At stock i agree it kinda blows and not worth its money,this cpu will only start to shine when oc’d to atleast 4.4,you’re all set then.

Well that was kind of my point at stock the 3570k or the 3770k has no bottle knecking of the graphics card,s in GW2 but to get the same lvl of perfomance from a Bulldozer as you said you need to over clock it to well over 4ghz

Heres the link to Tom’s Hardware GW2 performance benchmark.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-performance-benchmark,3268-7.html

If you look at the top graph you can see i5 2500 vs a Bulldozer 4000 quad core both tested at 3ghz and 4ghz to be fair look at the differance in the FPS scores.

And then again if you look at the bottom graph all the tests are done with all the different CPU’s at 3ghz and the 8 core Bulldozer dose better than the 4 and 6 core Buldozer’s do but that probably beacuase it is useing 1 core per module which means the resources for the cores arent shared but again it is being beaten by a Sandybridge Pentium dual core and the i3 dual core.

The Buldozers have less IPC Instrctions Per Clock than there old Pheon II CPU’s did if you have a Phenom II quad or hex core at 4ghz in gaming on avarage you need to overclock a Bulldozer to about 4.4/4.5ghz to get the same performance from it.

Pildriver might be good though with a romoured 15% IPC imrpovment and 10% higher clock speeds it should be atleast 20/25% faster than Bulldozer.

Trust me I wish it was different I reamber the good old days when AMD trounced Intel, The FX 55/57 compleatly destroyed the top end Pentium 4’s and the Opteron 185/FX 60 dual core was the fastest thing out there and was the CPU of choice if you could afford one

Posted by: Echo.7259

Echo.7259

All I can say is that atm I use 8120 8 Core, I get 60 FPS maxing out Battlefield 3, Team Fortress 2, Witcher 2…..but I only get about 12 fps in Guild Wars 2

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

All I can say is that atm I use 8120 8 Core, I get 60 FPS maxing out Battlefield 3, Team Fortress 2, Witcher 2…..but I only get about 12 fps in Guild Wars 2

And what´s your other hardware ? Because i have 50 – 100 usually,pvp a bit lower though. And like i said,you need to OC the hell out of the FX to see its power,which im sure you didn’t.