Windows 10 Compatible?

Windows 10 Compatible?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Omegavladd.3956

Omegavladd.3956

I’ve been selected for the free upgrade to Windows 10. And I absolutely refuse to upgrade unless I know GW2 works with it. Can anyone confirm this?

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

i too would like to know this answer as well. as i would like to get the free upgrade myself. but i want to make sure windows10 works with both Guild Wars2 and Guild Wars before i do this. hope some one from Tech support can give us all the answer sooner then later . otherwise i will stay with windows8 in the mean time

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

I’m not gonna take the bullet, someone else do it and tell me how it goes.

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

In the end the main problems are the drivers. And i can’t see into the future and
tell you how good the ATI and NVidia drivers will be at release.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Windows 10 Compatible?

ham.8209

i too would like to know this answer as well. as i would like to get the free upgrade myself. but i want to make sure windows10 works with both Guild Wars2 and Guild Wars before i do this. hope some one from Tech support can give us all the answer sooner then later . otherwise i will stay with windows8 in the mean time

going to go ahead and give it a long shot and even tho it does not mean it will work with windows10 there should be some sort of program to make it work in windows8 mode .and still get windows10 upgrade . worst can happen is having to do a clean os install and so forth . will report on if guild wars and guild wars2 works with 10 and so forth once it all done and installed . so i hope it works and will post my findings once this is all done wish me luck

Windows 10 Compatible?

ham.8209

well got to wait till July 29, 2015 to get the windows10 but in the mean time it will be good to hear a answer from Tech support on this topic as to if it will or if we have to use the comp mode system to make both games work

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

Played in my laptop with the technical preview and not any problem.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

My advice is to not upgrade an OS until it has been out for a year.

But, to each his/her own.

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

It will be interesting to see how GW2 responds to this. I also play Rift and right now they are testing it (at least that is what they have said).

I just got my notification to reserve my free copy of Windows 10. I’ll reserve it, but will hold off loading it until I see what the game companies are doing.

I have a feeling there will be a plethora of players out there who will update before checking into the game tech forums to find out how its going with them. That happens in real life all the time…then folks get upset because they were under the impression that the techs were already on it.

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

You guys don’t seem to realise that at the moment all you can do is reserve your Win 10 download. You can’t actually download or install it yet as the operating system hasn’t been finalised or released. You’re worrying over nothing. There’s also very little reason that GW2 wouldn’t work in Win 10 considering it’s built on the exact same architecture as 7 and 8, and on top of that people have said that it works in the Win 10 technical preview, so there’s absolutely no reason it won’t in the final release.

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

So I’m eligible for a free upgrade of my OS to windows 10, but I’m concerned about how this will affect compatibility for GW2 (as I know Windows 8 had a myriad of compatibility problems with a large number of games on release).

Will GW2 work with Windows 10? I’d rather not upgrade if it won’t be, so it would be super awesome to know ahead of time

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It’s not like it was off the first page. And basically anyone with a legal copy of Win 7, 8 or 8.1 can get 10 for free. Assuming they are also up to date with their updates.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Why the hell would I upgrade from 7 to 10, free or not, when I have zero issues with 7…unless 10 is some kind of technical masterpiece…something Microsoft isn’t well known for.

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

10 will be their last “version”. It’s being offered to everyone, regardless of whether their copy of Windows is legit or not. Apparently.

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

Windows 10 Compatible?

Behellagh.1468

For future games that support Dx12 is one reason. Not one for this game, unless there is a major surprised with the expansion.

Yes and after 10 they will try some subscription BS. That’s going to go over like a lead balloon for the consumer. Brings the whole concept of the Micro$oft tax to it’s final evolutionary form.

RIP City of Heroes

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

For future games that support Dx12 is one reason. Not one for this game, unless there is a major surprised with the expansion.

Yes and after 10 they will try some subscription BS. That’s going to go over like a lead balloon for the consumer. Brings the whole concept of the Micro$oft tax to it’s final evolutionary form.

Could you provide a link from MS that they are moving to a subscription model?
I believe that it is an unsubstantiated rumor being circulated.

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: MrWubzy.3587

MrWubzy.3587

I just received the notice to reserve my upgrade to Windows 10 and, of course, I opted to reserve it, as I had plenty of time to opt out (release is July 29th). But it got me to thinking, would GW2 work properly with it?

| Biyx [Guardian] ; Aika Vonelli [Ranger] |
| Proud roleplayer! |
| Biyx’s All-For-Nothing Challenge |

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Windows 10 Compatible?

MrWubzy.3587

Ah, I didn’t see that. Just woke up, kind of groggy. Cheers!

| Proud roleplayer! |

Windows 10 Compatible?

MrWubzy.3587

I’d like to see this too. If it’s true I’m staying with Win 7.

I opted for the free upgrade myself. If we don’t hear anything official from the Devs by the time the update is live, I can easily opt out of the free upgrade and stay where I am. Hoping a dev can shed some light on this.

| Proud roleplayer! |

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: mzeb.9601

mzeb.9601

I’ve been running the Windows 10 Technical Preview and I can confirm with the latest builds (10074) of Windows things are working well. There were some video hiccups with the early releases but all is well now.

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: Ravenor.3612

Ravenor.3612

I’d like to see this too. If it’s true I’m staying with Win 7.

I opted for the free upgrade myself. If we don’t hear anything official from the Devs by the time the update is live, I can easily opt out of the free upgrade and stay where I am. Hoping a dev can shed some light on this.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/05/08/microsoft-windows-10-last-windows/ <— Not a Microsoft link because they’ve only hinted here and there about a possible subscription model.

I want to shed some light and give context on what is said in this article, since again, it isn’t explicitly stated that they’re moving to subscription.

Anyone familiar with Adobe products (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) knows that a while back Adobe took away the up-front cost and put in a subscription fee for the latest version. The version you are subscribed to is constantly upgraded, so you always have the latest version. The subscription fee for the full Creative Suite adds up to about a new Suite every few years, which is roughly where they were previously with their release frequency, the only difference being that you’re paying for it over time and get new features as they’re ready instead of all in one go. In the end, Adobe makes more money because not everyone upgrades immediately.

Other software companies like Autodesk (maker of a lot of 3d development software) have introduced subscriptions as well. In Autodesk’s case, a full copy of Maya in the pre-subscription days could run $5,000+ (not a typo) and upgrade yearly, so this is a welcome change for a lot of people, even at subscription prices of $200 – $300 a month.

What seems likely is that Microsoft is looking at doing something similar with Windows: free to download and install (see link at the end), but a small monthly subscription that adds up to basically upgrading to the “next version” of Windows as soon as it comes out, given their frequency of release (in reality, it would be one streamlined, constantly evolving OS, as opposed to different versions).

Of course, this is still more than a year off in the future and since nothing’s been officially announced yet, things can change. Whether or not I get Windows 10 will depend entirely on two factors: 1) the subscription price over 3 years, which is about what their release frequency has been for Windows 7 (2009) and Windows 8 (2012), and 2) whether or not it allows me to install on multiple machines with a single subscription. I have a desktop and laptop and possibly a tablet in the future, and I won’t pay three times just so I can use them all.

EDIT: Ho hum. It seems MS has released pricing after all. Yesterday, even. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2929385/microsoft-releases-official-retail-pricing-for-windows-10.html

Fifty Bladesof Gray – L80 Sylvari Thief
Little Brown Bags – L80 Asura Necromancer
Stunbot – L80 Sylvari Warrior

(edited by Ravenor.3612)

Windows 10 Compatible?

Behellagh.1468

As I said, 10 is NOT subscription. The successor to 10 will likely be.

RIP City of Heroes

Windows 10 Compatible?

Blude.6812

As I said, 10 is NOT subscription. The successor to 10 will likely be.

Proof please!!!!

Windows 10 Compatible?

Behellagh.1468

RIP City of Heroes

Windows 10 Compatible?

Blude.6812

Neither link has any facts from MS—just unsubstantiated rumor mongering.

Windows 10 Compatible?

Ansau.7326

That’s the biggest nonsense supposition I’ve seen in years.

From your links:
- “We’re always working on W10”. This means there won’t be major updates like Vista over XP, and it will be based more on small tweaks and improvements, like for example what Google does with Chrome.

- “Once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge.” No additional charge, no additional charge, no additional charge… Did I said no additional charge?

- “We aren’t speaking to future branding at this time, but customers can be confident Windows 10 will remain up-to-date and power a variety of devices from PCs to phones to Surface Hub to HoloLens and Xbox. We look forward to a long future of Windows innovations.” If a normal Windows version lasts for about 3 years, here we can be talking to have Windows 10 for a decade or even more.

And MS has said both Pro and Enterprise will be able to defer updates, while Home licenses will update automatically and without the option to disable them. It doesn’t make sense to implement a subscription system when a huge part of the licences will have automatically updates.

The funny thing is all links you provide are talking about a subscription-based update system said in The Verge, but when you read the article in The Verge, there’s nothing about that, so everything about this nonsense are words from journalists…

PD: Tomorrow I will post screenshots of gw2 running in W10 technical preview.

(edited by Ansau.7326)

Windows 10 Compatible?

MrWubzy.3587

That’s the biggest nonsense supposition I’ve seen in years.

From your links:
- “We’re always working on W10”. This means there won’t be major updates like Vista over XP, and it will be based more on small tweaks and improvements, like for example what Google does with Chrome.

- “Once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge.” No additional charge, no additional charge, no additional charge… Did I said no additional charge?

- “We aren’t speaking to future branding at this time, but customers can be confident Windows 10 will remain up-to-date and power a variety of devices from PCs to phones to Surface Hub to HoloLens and Xbox. We look forward to a long future of Windows innovations.” If a normal Windows version lasts for about 3 years, here we can be talking to have Windows 10 for a decade or even more.

And MS has said both Pro and Enterprise will be able to defer updates, while Home licenses will update automatically and without the option to disable them. It doesn’t make sense to implement a subscription system when a huge part of the licences will have automatically updates.

The funny thing is all links you provide are talking about a subscription-based update system said in The Verge, but when you read the article in The Verge, there’s nothing about that, so everything about this nonsense are words from journalists…

PD: Tomorrow I will post screenshots of gw2 running in W10 technical preview.

Please do post the screenshots. If it’s not too much trouble, perhaps a video? I don’t want to upgrade only to find out that my most played game doesn’t work. That would be a sad duckie day indeed.

| Proud roleplayer! |

Windows 10 Compatible?

Behellagh.1468

The successor to Windows 10. Successor. Not Windows 10. Not Windows 10 patch support.

That is what is being said, the version of Windows AFTER Windows 10 will be packaged as a service.

Microsoft has not come out to shoot this rumor down. These are major business publications, not a random tech blogger.

Sure Microsoft could be using this to gauge the reaction to the idea. Or this will solely be for business. But that is the current rumor.

RIP City of Heroes

Windows 10 Compatible?

rapthorne.7345

Got a reply to the ticket I sent in about this.

GM Vagrant (Guild Wars 2 Support)
Jun 2, 12:04

Hello Michael,

Thank you for contacting the Guild Wars 2 Support Team.

While we understand your concern, we are unable to give an accurate answer, since Windows 10 is not out yet. In any case, we recommend to make a restore point.

Thank you for your understanding on the matter.

Regards,

GM Vagrant
Guild Wars 2 Support Team
http://help.guildwars2.com/

So they don’t know

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

That is what is being said, the version of Windows AFTER Windows 10 will be packaged as a service.

They talk about over a decade for Win-10 .. so who knows what will happen until then.
I will be over 60 then .. if i still live .. lol

Got a reply to the ticket I sent in about this.

GM Vagrant (Guild Wars 2 Support)
Jun 2, 12:04

Hello Michael,

Thank you for contacting the Guild Wars 2 Support Team.

While we understand your concern, we are unable to give an accurate answer, since Windows 10 is not out yet. In any case, we recommend to make a restore point.

Thank you for your understanding on the matter.

Regards,

GM Vagrant
Guild Wars 2 Support Team
http://help.guildwars2.com/

So they don’t know

How should they ? Its NOT RELEASED .. so who knows what Microsoft and especially
NVidia will mess up untill then.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

(edited by Beldin.5498)

Windows 10 Compatible?

Ansau.7326

The successor to Windows 10. Successor. Not Windows 10. Not Windows 10 patch support.

Microsoft has not come out to shoot this rumor down. These are major business publications, not a random tech blogger.

Sure Microsoft could be using this to gauge the reaction to the idea. Or this will solely be for business. But that is the current rumor.

You still don’t see the point. 10 years ago we didn’t know what we would be able to do with a mobile phone (now smartphone). We don’t know how will be both hardware and software in 8-10 years from now.

Worrying now about the successor of Windows 10 is like worrying about the weather you’ll have in your vacations of 2020.

PD: Video and screenshot uploaded.

Attachments:

(edited by Ansau.7326)

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

The only thing i dont trust is MS giving something away for free.

Windows 10 Compatible?

Behellagh.1468

Well XP lingered/lingers. Win 7 would be the next undying OS.

They really just want everyone to move to a more modern underlying OS so problems supporting/fixing issues with the old OS goes away.

RIP City of Heroes

Windows 10 Compatible?

rapthorne.7345

rumour is that 10 is going to be an always online OS, directly connected to the windows store and whatnot, so I suspect they’ll make their money through the monetisation of certain personal details

(edited by rapthorne.7345)

Windows 10 Compatible?

Behellagh.1468

rumour is that 10 is going to be an always online OS, directly connected to the windows store and whatnot, so I suspect they’ll make their money through the monetisation of certain personal details

That gets a hat.

Attachments:

RIP City of Heroes

Windows 10 Compatible?

FlamingFoxx.1305

Making Windows updates a subscruption based service would be INCREADIBLY unlikely. That would be a surefire way to drive the mass consumer base to apple products. The reason they’ve made 10 a free upgrade is because they’re already losing ground to apple (who offer free yearly OS updates) especially with students and the younger consumer market.

Windows 10 Compatible?

rapthorne.7345

That gets a hat.

I don’t see anything conspiratorial about it given that almost every social media website/search engine/etc tracks you unless specifically instructed not to. It’s a pretty common practice and makes sense given the huge loss of income this would incur unless they had an alternative revenue stream in mind

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: Dragon Ruler X.8512

Dragon Ruler X.8512

I think the people making this game run on different OS’s need to answer this thread >.>

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: sonicsix.5713

sonicsix.5713

Guild Wars 2 runs just fine on Windows 10 10074. The only issue I have is the game will not shut down properly when clicking “Exit To Desktop”. Not sure if this is a GW2 or Win10 issue.

Windows 10 Compatible?

Ansau.7326

Updated to build 10130 and no problems

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: lordoku.5721

lordoku.5721

So windows 10 upgrade is free for a limited time. has anyone tried if guild wars 2 works fine in windows 10?

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: Theorl.3491

Theorl.3491

yes it should. i know of quite a lot of people who have been using windows 10 for a few months as their only OS and none have reported any major comparability issues.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/windows-10-games-compatibility-list/a31335a8-730f-4ac9-8c19-7c8c3a664ced

that thread lists tested games under windows 10 and GW2 is reported to be working fine.

also there are mostly very positive reports of drivers working in windows 10.

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: lordoku.5721

lordoku.5721

Thanks for the info gonna start downloading it now!

Windows 10 Compatible?

FlamingFoxx.1305

Windows 10 isn’t out yet and you can’t download it yet… What you are being offered is the option to reserve the free download. You won’t actually be able to download or install windows 10 until it actually releases.

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: Theorl.3491

Theorl.3491

i think the technical preview is still available. the official release date is july 29th for desktop PCs. tablets etc will be shortly after.

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

If he/she’s got access to MSDN he/she can probably already download and install it. MSDN users get new stuff usually a few weeks before the actual release.

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Does GW2 work on Win10? because i’m thinking of upgrading.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Windows 10 Compatible?

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

it works, about the performance, dunno becouse i used a octacore with 16gb ram and a 960gtx at that time, buuuut i imagine you wont loss.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.