Windows 10 gotchas

Windows 10 gotchas

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Jimson.5168

Jimson.5168

First glitch for Windows 10…

While loading the update, I noticed my ethernet light blinking on and off and remembered this issue from 8.1. On laptops (not sure about desktops) the ethernet adapter is preset for “Energy Efficient Ethernet”. This means lag, lag, lag as your ethernet adapter shuts off when not busy (playing GW2) and then has to negotiate a connection each time it has to talk to the server. NOOOOO!

Hunt through your shiny new start menu and select the “Settings” tile, then select “Network and Internet”. Select the “Ethernet” on the menu at the left and then “Change Adapter Settings on the right. This brings up the Network Connections” dialog box (you could just go there direct in the Control Panel if you can find it). Right click on your ethernet adapter (it should show your network or be flashing on and off) and select “Properties”. Click the “Configure” button and select the Advanced tab. Select the “Energy Efficient Ethernet” setting and disable it… problem solved.

(edited by Jimson.5168)

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: Night.2759

Night.2759

Thank you for posting this!

Nightanvil – Guardian / Nightrend Shademist – Thief
Nightspecter – Necromancer / Night**** all others

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

I’m planning to take the plunge whenever it comes up on mine, this is good to know, appreciate it.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Very helpful! I hope I can find it again if/when I get Win10. Maybe they can make a sticky for Win10 hints and tips in the Tech Support section.

Hmm … just in case … I’m permalinking this post in my guild forums

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

subscribe #15morecharacters

Windows 10 gotchas

Jimson.5168

The good news is that the game seems to run just fine. I need to stress the video driver with a good boss fight… new drivers aren’t always available when there is a new O/S release.

Now where did my antivirus S/W go? Oh yeah, Windows Defender replaced it. Other 3rd party S/W also has gone missing so be prepared….

Windows 10 gotchas

Jimson.5168

I’m planning to take the plunge whenever it comes up on mine, this is good to know, appreciate it.

I just checked my Get Windows 10 icon and it said ready to update. No other notification.

It took roughly 1.5 hours and the license agreement was hiding under the update screen… wasted half an hour wondering what was taking so long. So far I haven’t been able to activate it… typical problems…

(edited by Jimson.5168)

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

Hunt through your shiny new start menu and select the “Settings” tile, then select “Network and Internet”. Select the “Ethernet” on the menu at the left and then “Change Adapter Settings on the right. This brings up the Network Connections” dialog box (you could just go there direct in the Control Panel if you can find it). Right click on your ethernet adapter (it should show your network or be flashing on and off) and select “Properties”. Click the “Configure” button and select the Advanced tab. Select the “Energy Efficient Ethernet” setting and disable it… problem solved.

You, sir, are a true gent.

I really hope a thread of Win10 bugs and fixes gets stickied to one of the forums.

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: Klinch.2964

Klinch.2964

If you guys don’t want to wait to be selected by the Microgods to get the Windows 10 upgrade, you can manually download and install the ISO.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

*Note: If you want to do a clean install, you must first upgrade your existing windows to windows 10 to tie windows 10 to your account. Then you can perform a clean install.

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Nividia just posted updated drivers so that may help any video card issues for those cards.

Windows 10 gotchas

notebene.3190

Nividia just posted updated drivers so that may help any video card issues for those cards.

Biggest reason I’m holding off is this and this .

Windows 10 gotchas

Jimson.5168

Not related to GW but it seems certain versions of W10 will not activate. This does not affect playing the game, however. My son’s Win7Pro activated immediately but my 8.1 Home refused to activate after severval dozen attempts over the last few hours. (Funny story… finally got fed up and called phone activation… while on hold I tried to activate two more times… activated on the 2nd try!)

Glad to hear there are some updated drivers coming out. Any info on Win10 that could affect my GW addiction id greatly appreciated.

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Not related to GW but it seems certain versions of W10 will not activate. This does not affect playing the game, however. My son’s Win7Pro activated immediately but my 8.1 Home refused to activate after severval dozen attempts over the last few hours. (Funny story… finally got fed up and called phone activation… while on hold I tried to activate two more times… activated on the 2nd try!)

Glad to hear there are some updated drivers coming out. Any info on Win10 that could affect my GW addiction id greatly appreciated.

as far as i recall you have to reroll back to windows 8 to be able to install update to 10

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: anx.7549

anx.7549

Glad someone has taken the plunge with Win10. I’ve got the notification to do it, I just wasn’t sure if it was going to be a colossal mess.

Anx

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Glad someone has taken the plunge with Win10. I’ve got the notification to do it, I just wasn’t sure if it was going to be a colossal mess.

i personally usually wait few months for things to settle down before installing new toys like this~
drivers and co. causing issues on new windows is really.. not new lol

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Been using it since last night (well since about 2AM), and it’s been really nice so far (upgraded from Win7). Haven’t had any issues with it.

Only thing I had to do was download the new Nvidia driver for Windows 10.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

just got windows10 myself . and so far not one problem at all not even with drivers . but i did have windows8.1 too not sure if that matters to a point. but yet so far everything is smooth as silk . and both Guild Wars and Guild Wars2 are playing very nicely . and i will say i think with Guild Wars too the video drivers have been up dated . as thing,s seam a bit more better and brighter even .

Windows 10 gotchas

Jimson.5168

The nVidia problem was that MS forced a driver update for those desky-top cards or SLI configs with the code modified a la MS. This broke many high end graphics setups. Unfortunately, they believe we are too stupid to load 3rd party drivers so WinUpdate trumps anything you want to load especially an older driver that actually works. You’d a thunk they learned their lesson taking away the classic desktop in Win8. Fortunately I have a mobile Radeon chipset so I only suffered through trying to activate the install (they broke the activation server with the 3 insider builds they rolled out in the last few days… and you thought the latest GW2 patch was bad).

nVidia quickly rolled a new driver out to overcome this “little” problem.

(edited by Jimson.5168)

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

Loaded the new nvidia driver before loading win 10. Gw2/rift etc was crashing…. Reinstalled the same driver after win 10 was installed from nvidia site – works.

Note: I didn’t wait my turn for the queue to pop if you will. I went to the download page from ms

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

I’d assume you’re able to disable automatic updates or select the Nvidia ones from not installing on their own ?

I don’t have windows 10 though…not sure about it yet either.

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Well ATI, nVidia and Intel have released tweaked WHQL drivers for Win 10 now. I would wait a couple of weeks so every OEM can catch up and put out Win 10 updates for their hardware.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

You can expect issues with Windows 10 for at least 8 months, lol.
But I suppose its decent enough to use anyway.

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Just gonna post in here so I dont forget. I got the same with my mouse settings, thanks to someone in my GH WvW chat it fixed my annoying mouse. Why save energy on mouse and network MicroSoft, wai u so weird.

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: Rattex.3467

Rattex.3467

If you use the Media Creation Tool to upgrade and it bombs out with a “Something Happened” error, change your system locale to English (United States). Fixes the error in most cases.

Windows 10 gotchas

Jimson.5168

I’d assume you’re able to disable automatic updates or select the Nvidia ones from not installing on their own ?

I don’t have windows 10 though…not sure about it yet either.

I’ve heard (meaning I don’t really know it as fact) you cannot refuse or hide a critical/important update with the new Win10 updater. I only had a couple of updates after loading so I didn’t really look closely at it yet. I was bouncing all over sites looking for a solution to the activation issue and caught many MS hate site postings out of the corner of my eye. The reason for the new way winupbreak works is to make your windows more stable and predictable… no missing pieces and everyone has the same basic code base. (I don’t hate MS… I just think they make some really stupid decisions.)

(edited by Jimson.5168)

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

Upgrading to to windows 10, even with the newest Nvidia graphic drivers(installed from the site after windows update got done with it’s mandatory graphic driver install) completely kills DSR for some reason. Just an FYI for anyone who, like me, used it quite a bit. I can’t go higher than 1080P now, no options for DSR, and attempting to set a higher custom resolution doesn’t work either.

Edit: Solved, they just don’t enable DSR by default like the old drivers did, and you have to enable it on the 3d settings tab for some reason. If you go to the global 3d settings tab and enable every option(ie check all the boxes) under DSR-Factor you get all the DSR resolutions back.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

(edited by imsoenthused.1634)

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: NoTrigger.8396

NoTrigger.8396

you cant disable automatic updates, but you can disable automatic driver updates via win update. press win+pause -> advanced settings -> hardware -> idk what its called in english but should be something like "hardware installation settings.

there you can disable automatic driver updates via win updates.

then you can install the graphic drivers you downloaded from nvidia or amd.

[qT] Quantify

(edited by NoTrigger.8396)

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: roperratt.6917

roperratt.6917

I need to keep track of this posting.

IGN: Roper the Ratt, Mithril Knight, Sophie the Golden, (TTS), (DTtD), (KCCO), (BANA)
Fort Aspenwood

Windows 10 gotchas

notebene.3190

you cant disable automatic updates, but you can disable automatic driver updates via win update. press win+pause -> advanced settings -> hardware -> idk what its called in english but should be something like "hardware installation settings.

there you can disable automatic driver updates via win updates.

then you can install the graphic drivers you downloaded from nvidia or amd.

Ah, very nice, thank you!

Windows 10 gotchas

NoTrigger.8396

no problemo. i recommend doing the win upgrade and then a clean install. after the clean install check your hardware Manager/device manager or whatever its called in english and see if all of the hardware is accepted. win 10 will install drivers on its own. then do what i listed above to disable automatic driver Installation, delete the installed graphic drivers and install the ones you downloaded from nvidia or amd. thats how i did it.

the automatic installed drivers for mainboard, ethernet device and so on should work without any problems and you dont have to worry about them.

[qT] Quantify

(edited by NoTrigger.8396)

Windows 10 gotchas

Donari.5237

I don’t mind automatic updates so long as I can tell it “Not now.” Many years ago I had Norton Antivirus (eeeeewwww, I know) and a sure sign that it was updating and scanning was when the game I was playing would slow to molasses speeds. I prefer popups when I boot the computer that ask me if I’m ready to update x or y program.

If Win10 decides on its own to use my computer’s attention span for its own purposes whenever it wants, I’ll be holding off on the upgrade for oh, two more years or so, whenever I next get a new computer.

Windows 10 gotchas

NoTrigger.8396

it downloads and installs the updates in the background and typically wants to restart your computer at 3:00 am. you wont notice the process and you can change the time for the restart or use a “restart now” option.

[qT] Quantify

Windows 10 gotchas

Donari.5237

Too bad for it, I turn off my computer for the night So I guess it would apply the updates on boot up in the morning? I’ll still refer to your above post on disabling automatic driver updates once I have Win10 because sometimes one really wants to go to an older more stable version.

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Cool thanks for this, I’ll have a look to see if it’s the same on desktop. Now if someone can tell me why I can’t just save pictures of the internet through Edge, and why Win10 is telling me I don’t have permission to save pictures to my picture folder even though I’m the admin, I’m running Win 10 pro by the way.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Windows 10 gotchas

Jimson.5168

Had the MOAI (mother of all installs) go bad on another laptop. Oddly, the Win10 upgrade went smoothly using the ISO install tool. Unfortunately, a new Win10 graphics driver for AMD/Radeon and higher-end cards failed multiple times… finally gave up. Then Norton Security Suite (which installed perfectly on this system) just hung trying to start after the install. Three tries failed. Ran the removal tool and scrubbed it from the system so now running Defender. Forums tell me I’m not alone.

Not sure I would really recommend upgrading an older system that came with anything older than Win8x. If you want to try, I suggest you back up your current system and try to do a clean install of Win10 from media… available from MS… search for Windows 10 ISO download, get the tool from MS site, download Win10 and burn a DVD. (then say a prayer…)

If all else fails and you really need your daily GW fix, you have about 1 month to roll your system back to the previous O/S using the Recovery selection in Settings→Update & Security.

(edited by Jimson.5168)

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Thanks! Gonna put Win10 on a new PC I’m building this week so these kinds of posts are extremely helpful!

Windows 10 gotchas

Jimson.5168

To disable driver downloads, you need to ferret out “System” in the control panel (or use Win+Pause key combination), select “Advanced System Settings”, go to the hardware tab and select “Device Installation Settings” and select the radio button that says “No, let me choose what do”. Talk about a scavenger hunt!

(edited by Jimson.5168)

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

The only issue I have is that if you want to use Cortana to do anything useful it will ask you for a microsoft account, well, instead of just linking that account to your local account (the one you login with on your computer) it replaces it with your microsoft account.
Same with the xbox app, in order to use it you have to manage your computer with a microsoft account.

These wouldn’t be such an issue if this was a phone, tablet, or an xbox but it’s my pc and their sync stuff doesn’t work yet – technically doing this microsoft account stuff allows you to login on a friends computer and have your settings and stuff available, but it sometimes just overwrites yours with the settings on the friends computer, screwing you pretty good on your computer.

Anyway, Cortana has along way to go before she’s useful as far as I can tell and as long as it requires me to replace my local computer account with a microsoft one, she’s a no-go for me.

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: Bambu.4270

Bambu.4270

Anyone got problem with the windows 10 game recorder (xbox) with gw2? I encountered some issues with fullscreen where the recorder shortcut keys don’t work except win + alt + r which starts the recording but weirdly also lowers brightness down and pressing it again wont stop the record. In windowed mode there’s no problems.

Also in windows 7 I had weird stutters with ssd and gw2 but in windows 10 those seem to be gone now. Hooray!

That’s progress. Hooray for progress!

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

General advice for all things Windows: don’t install untill OTHER people have tested it and SP1 is in place. =P

Windows 10 gotchas

Jimson.5168

I was intending this thread contain only those issues that affect playing GW2. Other windows issues should more properly be directed to the MS forum or one of the “I HATE WINDOWS” sites.

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: ruzicka.4783

ruzicka.4783

Hmmm…I don’t seem to have the “Energy Efficient Ethernet” setting available to me!

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

General advice for all things Windows: don’t install untill OTHER people have tested it and SP1 is in place. =P

Win 10 has no fixed patch release schedule, they will be issued when done so no more patch Tuesdays, no more service packs, no more choices what gets installed or not installed. So it’s going to be like apps on your phone or tablet, they’ll update when the patch is pushed.

That said most PC sites are suggesting giving Microsoft 4-6 weeks to iron out the “gotcha” install problems that didn’t show up in beta as well as getting updated drivers from all the various OEMs. It’s been reported that 14 million PCs were upgraded on day one.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: zxstanyxz.8769

zxstanyxz.8769

there will be no more sp’s ever (or so they say)

and as for other people testing it, well i’ve been running it for months now along with many others, and for the past 2 months i’ve had no issues with everything i do on here aside from a catalyst driver issue, but i had the same issue with win 7 before i switched to the test version of 10

Windows 10 gotchas

Jimson.5168

Hmmm…I don’t seem to have the “Energy Efficient Ethernet” setting available to me!

Not surprising. It is most likely found on portable devices that have an ethernet plug. It may not be supported by some network chipsets. I noticed the LEDs on my interface cycling on and off and found this setting. The constant renegotiating a connection to my router every time it cycled on made the game so laggy it was nearly unplayable.

Windows 10 gotchas

Jimson.5168

Another annoyance…

For those who run Norton AV (assuming you ever succeed at installing it), check to make sure Windows Defender is turned off. Mine seems to have gotten turned back on somehow. Running two antivirus programs at the same time causes a performance hit.

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

I’ve been getting a burst of static from my speakers/headphones when I first launch GW2, as far as I can tell all my driver’s are up to date/etc, anyone have an idea what’s causing it/how to fix it?

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

I dont have Energy Efficient Ethernet on the options… but the lamp is blinking on and off

Windows 10 gotchas

Jimson.5168

I dont have Energy Efficient Ethernet on the options… but the lamp is blinking on and off

Make sure it’s not just an activity light. My connector only lights up if the interface is powered but does not blink when transferring data… some do IIRC. If you open the Network and Sharing Center window and look in “View your active networks”, you will see the connection going up and down if your system has an Energy Efficient Ethernet,

Edit: My bad… there is a tiny activity light on my connector as well as the power light.

(edited by Jimson.5168)

Windows 10 gotchas

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

i dont have as well this option

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+