Windows 8 - Launching Issue

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: fausted.1630

fausted.1630

Hello, i’m running windows 8 pro… and i’m having issue launching the game. I can start the launcher, log in.. and when I hit play, absolutely nothing happens. Before you suggest – I HAVE uninstalled/reinstalled/ Disabled UAC.

This is really annoying, seeing as I haven’t been able to log in for the past few days..

Anyone else out there with the same issue?

Posted by: Satan.8397

Satan.8397

I got the same problem.

GW2 Tech support opinion for this problem was, game doesnt support windows 8 and only thing that you can do to play this game is make dual boot

Yeah right, im aint gona buy win7 that i can play this game. This is the turning point for free mmo’s and monthly payed mmo’s. This game truly have potential to beat wow but this kind answer from tech support aint good for this game and now on i gladly pay monthly fee for blizzard.

Posted by: Shazirah.8350

Shazirah.8350

So, I’ve been playing GW2 on Windows 8 Release Preview for as long as the game has been out. I had no problems then. I realize that it’s a slightly different product than RTM, but not enough that the program wouldn’t play. Most of the “under the hood” stuff in Win8 is the same as Win7.

I think the problem might be something different and that the GW2 CS is not properly diagnosing this or simply being lazy in attempting to pinpoint the problem.

At the very least, they should have told you to attempt to run as admin + compatibility mode.

(Maestro at) Not Another Gaming Acronym [NAGA]:
Resident Keg Brawl Premier League Champions
… with some WvW breaks here and there.

Posted by: Shazirah.8350

Shazirah.8350

Also, take a look over at GuildWars2Guru.com and see if this works for you:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/53074-guild-wars-2-launcher-bugged/

(Maestro at) Not Another Gaming Acronym [NAGA]:
Resident Keg Brawl Premier League Champions
… with some WvW breaks here and there.

Posted by: Kalizaar.4729

Kalizaar.4729

Hmm, I have a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro on a desktop and laptop that play GW2 just fine, so it’s not specifically Windows 8 as the issue.

Of course we have to ask the usual, obvious questions… Did you try updating your video drivers? If you have a discrete sound card did you update those drivers? Did you try right clicking the launcher and select “Run as admin”?

Is your GW2 install a fresh one since you installed Windows 8, or from your previous Windows installation? I believe there’s a local.dat file somewhere that you can delete. Believe it’s at Documents\Guild Wars 2\local.dat. Not sure where on Windows 8 you’ll find that.

Me personally my next step, if none of that helped, would be re-installing GW2. And just because I’m stubborn if that didn’t work I’d try re-installing Windows 8.. lol.

(edited by Kalizaar.4729)

Satan.8397

That i was wondering that how the hell some people play GW2 with windows 8 but i cant, well now i have solve the problem, i update all the drivers. Right now im installing the game, sweeeeeet Windows wasnt the issue it was old drivers in asus laptop. Thx for the tip Kalizaar. Plain and simply, update your drivers after windows 8 upgrade.

Posted by: UKNightWatch.5742

UKNightWatch.5742

Hi,

Probably no help here, but a suggestion any ways.

I too run Windows 8 but what I did was wipe drives (I have three inside the PC) in readiness for win8 after backing up vids, pics, music and such.

I then installed afresh with win7, did not allow updates and then installed the win8 update and let it update itself.

Now, all of that is more or less not important!

What I found I had to do and consider important, after checking all drivers, is download the latest win8 LAN and ‘chipset’ drivers for my (gigabyte) motherboard. Further to this, rather than just using the ‘standard’ drivers win8 installed for my GFX card, I went directly to AMD and downloaded and installed the newest driver from them.

So, as I said, maybe not helpful but maybe you could check similar drivers for your mobo.

I know how annoying it can be to have people simply say “check your drivers” and how that suggestion can sometimes seem a bit dismissive. I just thought to offer up my suggestion in good faith.

Either way, I hope you get sorted and back in game soon.

No rig in my sig? Only posted if needed!

Posted by: fausted.1630

fausted.1630

Sorry have been pretty busy to respond, but to add on to this…. I was able to launch the game yesterday with no problems, at least I tried once before I logged off for the night. As I type this now….. It’s once again a no go, Launcher appears fine, when I hit “play” I get the lovely spinning circle and NOTHING happens.

Yes I’m on the latest drivers, and have my windows 8 fully updated. This is REALLY frustrating seeing as I do enjoy this game, and after a 10-12 hour work day some time on it would be very nice, but appears I spend my time now trying to get this to work.

Posted by: Alpha Dragon.4576

Alpha Dragon.4576

You might wanna check your router and forward the necessary ports.

- Dare to be Different –
Eternal Breaker[ExB] || Sanctum of Rall

Satan.8397

…i had to make refresh reset windows 8 cause it didint work properly it remove everything that i have install games,drivers etc.. i try install the game again and i get same error singal “the game is already installed….” i just install nvidia drivers again and it work. (Laptop Asus G75VW-t1031v) windows start to coughing little bit but i dont mind..

Posted by: Gabielizabeth.8435

Gabielizabeth.8435

I have an Asus laptop with Windows 8 and have never had an issue downloading/installing a game before, it has a new motherboard, and the laptop itself is less than a year old. I began installing GW2 last night and the install was running at snail speed, and when I went to bed I made sure my laptop wouldn’t go to sleep during the install, this morning I came back and there was an error installing the game, so I decided to try to install it again while I was at work, again, made sure it didn’t sleep or shut off, and it got to 9% before that error message came up again. Any ideas?

Posted by: Orochimaru.6028

Orochimaru.6028

There is a thread on which tech support team had posted that using Google DNS 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 , will increase the download speed. Also try to open port 80 in your router if you using it.
Rest post your error message to guild wars 2 support team.

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

Anyone else notice that this thread is a year old? o_O

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest