Windows7 or Windows8

Windows7 or Windows8

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Anuxdei.2175

Anuxdei.2175

I just builded pc ( with gtx670 16gb ram and with ssd etc) i still use on my computer windows xp (seriously ) i wont install on my new pc but i dont have any idea about new softwares which one is better for this game (or general games) and which pack (like home premium / pro / ultimate and 32or 64 ) ?? thanks for answers

(edited by Anuxdei.2175)

Windows7 or Windows8

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

Get 64bit. Windows 7 is supported by GW2. Windows 8 works, but isn’t officially supported yet so YMMV. Win7 Home or Win8 regular non-pro is fine for gaming.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

(edited by kirito.4138)

Windows7 or Windows8

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

You honestly do not want win 8…for So many reason,i will not state here anyways,KEEP win 7…for a long time..if you love your privacy that is.

Windows7 or Windows8

Posted by: LionHeart.2490

LionHeart.2490

Why even running on a 64bit. Windows 7 do i still get a memory loss error and crashes the game?

Windows7 or Windows8

Posted by: Splicer.8049

Splicer.8049

You’ll most certainly want to switch to 64bit as 32bit cannot access ram above 4gb. This means that 12gb of your ram is wasted on winxp. I of course assume you’re not using winxp/64.

I would personally recommend win7/64. It’ll use all your ram and should be a bit better with your ssd compared to winxp. You’ll have to look at the differences between the version’s to see which ones have what you need.

I wouldn’t recommend win8 any flavor as i’ve had quite a few problems getting programs to run as well as the few that did crashing when minimized. It also under preforms compared my win7 by about 15-20%.

Windows7 or Windows8

Posted by: Saint.4165

Saint.4165

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit is the best version of Windows I’ve ever encountered. That’s the one I would go for, and you can usually find it relatively cheap. Quick Google Shopping search just showed $60.

—Saint

Windows7 or Windows8

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

Without all the crap that people write (Sorry, it’s true).

Windows 8 and Windows 7 perform about equal in gaming with Windows 8 maybe being 1% faster on some points. The difference is minimal, so it is mostly a matter of preference. (Personally i just like Windows 8 because your computer starts up much faster than in Windows 7).

You will want a 64 bit edition in any event.

Whether you get Premium/Pro/Ultimate etc is again a matter of preference. The only difference is a few Windows features you get/don’t get.

Comparison chart for Windows 8: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions
Comparison chart for Windows 7: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

Just get anything but the starter edition

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

Windows7 or Windows8

Posted by: SandsOfArrakis.2309

SandsOfArrakis.2309

Happily played GW2 on Windows 7 Home Premium, before upgrading to Windows 8 Pro. Windows 8 works just as good as Windows 7 here with the game.

You want the 64 bit version of either Windows though. 32 bit is obsolete since it can’t access more than 4 gb memory (RAM + graphics card memory combined).

32 bit = 2 to the power of 32 = 4096 mb = 4 gb

(edited by SandsOfArrakis.2309)

Windows7 or Windows8

Posted by: Anuxdei.2175

Anuxdei.2175

thx for all answers :
64 is the last answer and i must use home iguess as a conclusion pro or ultimate is bad for gaming and 32bit also but still have 1 question 8 or 7 which one better for gw2

(edited by Anuxdei.2175)

Windows7 or Windows8

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

As long as you don’t need to play TSW in DX11 (and are willing to settle for DX9/Minecraft/Money for Nothing Mode), then Windows 8 is great.

Windows7 or Windows8

Posted by: Espionage.3685

Espionage.3685

Why even running on a 64bit. Windows 7 do i still get a memory loss error and crashes the game?

A x64 OS will not help you if you don’t have enough RAM to start with. I’ve run GW2 on a 4GB system with Win7 x64 and never had an out-of-memory problem; but then again I’m careful with what I run too (I idle around 900MB)

As for what OS is better; I’ve had better overall performance on Windows 8, but it is minimal. I see no real reason as to avoid Windows 8, unless you want 100% support from ArenaNet and GW2

Windows7 or Windows8

Posted by: SandsOfArrakis.2309

SandsOfArrakis.2309

thx for all answers :
64 is the last answer and i must use home iguess as a conclusion pro or ultimate is bad for gaming and 32bit also but still have 1 question 8 or 7 which one better for gw2

When it comes to gaming it doesn’t matter which one you pick. Pro and Ultimate add some tools to the OS. But they are not related to gaming at all. More about system management. Home Premium is the cheapest of the 3. This is for Windows 7 though. If you decide to upgrade to Windows 8. You’ll be getting Windows 8 Pro by default. Microsoft has a discount running atm, so you can upgrade cheaply