Working alternative to AMD R9 270 video card

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Discobizkit.6531

Discobizkit.6531

Hey Everyone,
So I keep getting atimagsys crashes, the most recent one being video_tdr_failure. But unfortunately have had other types of crashes with this card. It’s a brand new computer and the card doesn’t fail unless I am playing gw2. I have researched forums and although there are many possible solutions nothing seems to work.
Here are the specs.
i7 4760
16gb ddr3 ram
2 tb hd
amd radeon r9 270 2gb
win 8.1

So long and short what GPUs have you had success with that have more stable drivers or have worked with gw2?
Thanks!

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Hace you tried alredy some of the fixes, like deinstalling drivers, reboot and reinstall ?

https://www.google.de/search?q=atikmpag.sys&oq=atikmpag.sys&gws_rd=cr&ei=jca0VYaOJMWfsAHXiJDIDQ#q=atikmdag.sys+fix

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Discobizkit.6531

Yeah I have tried fully uninstalling drivers and reinstalling, checked BIOS, and updated other drivers. I have read that AMD has issues across the board.
If someone has found a definite solution I would definitely try it. I am hoping that AMD addresses it in future updates. Is there a more reliable option for a card?

Posted by: Renn.8241

Renn.8241

I have the same card and same issue, sudden crashes with red screens and lots of lines.

~Renn~ Jade Quarry – Norn, – Ranger.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I can only say that i don’t have any problems with my r9 280x and Win7.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

Here with a r9 285 and no problems so far.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

Posted by: MrFayth.3546

MrFayth.3546

R7 260x with AMD 15.7 drivers and no issues here.

i5 4690k @4.1ghz, r7 260x 1180/1680,8Gb G.skill Ripjaw 2133, 120gb ssd Gw2+OS

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Hey Everyone,
So I keep getting atimagsys crashes, the most recent one being video_tdr_failure. But unfortunately have had other types of crashes with this card. It’s a brand new computer and the card doesn’t fail unless I am playing gw2. I have researched forums and although there are many possible solutions nothing seems to work.
Here are the specs.
i7 4760
16gb ddr3 ram
2 tb hd
amd radeon r9 270 2gb
win 8.1

So long and short what GPUs have you had success with that have more stable drivers or have worked with gw2?
Thanks!

What power supply do you have?

Posted by: TheIronFistOfDeath.3016

TheIronFistOfDeath.3016

I have an r9 290x and the game crashes after character selection. Just minimizes, stops responding, and prevents interaction with any other windows. As much as I really like the game and have played it since launch without issue, I’ve stopped even bothering opening it most of the time.

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Hey Everyone,
Here are the specs.
i7 4760
16gb ddr3 ram
2 tb hd
amd radeon r9 270 2gb
win 8.1

Thanks!

A 270 is a 7870/7850. its also a under clocked 270×. Its also now a 370/370x, once again. Its one of the oldest running cards that has been re-branded to date under the GCN 1.0 core.

I suggest looking at a GCN 1.1, 1.2 based cards (anything that’s a 300 series, that’s NOT a 370/x, and either a260x, 285, 290, 290x, or Fury/FuryX).

For Nvidia my only 2 recommendations are a 980 and 980ti. I cannot recommend a GTX970 due to how Nvidia decided to partition the ram on that card.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Hey Everyone,
Here are the specs.
i7 4760
16gb ddr3 ram
2 tb hd
amd radeon r9 270 2gb
win 8.1

Thanks!

A 270 is a 7870/7850. its also a under clocked 270×. Its also now a 370/370x, once again. Its one of the oldest running cards that has been re-branded to date under the GCN 1.0 core.

I suggest looking at a GCN 1.1, 1.2 based cards (anything that’s a 300 series, that’s NOT a 370/x, and either a260x, 285, 290, 290x, or Fury/FuryX).

For Nvidia my only 2 recommendations are a 980 and 980ti. I cannot recommend a GTX970 due to how Nvidia decided to partition the ram on that card.

I’ve recently got a GTX 970 – the 980’s are just too expensive. For a replacement card anyway (maybe on a new build). My well used 7970 was struggling, and the 970 (which I got on a good sale) has been a great replacement. I can agree with issues with AMD cards – the last few I’ve had have had various, consistent issues over a long while. Nothing disastrous, but always constant and annoying. I was fed up tbh. Haven’t had an issue with 970 so far. I did read about the memory issue before buying, but I’ve thrown a variety of games at the card and I’ve no issues. Performance has been excellent. Worth it if you can get one, and its definitely be a step up over your current card, and value for money – and no need to mortgage the house to get one lol.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Discobizkit.6531

I want to thank everyone for their feedback first and foremost. I will shopping for a new card it seems. I have Windows 10 now, all chipset, bios, and drivers updated and unfortunately the sudden freeze to black screen continues. I have a hard time believing its a heat issue because even in lower temp situations it seems to happen. Its random and unfortunately since it does freeze to black screen I cannot task manager and kill it. I have to basically restart my computer. I also do not see the event info so getting feedback is tough. I will check out the 980s and 970s as well as the other recommendations.
Thanks again!
@abomally my power source is 460w.

Update: I just did some more research, according to more than a few sites the recommended power supply for this card is 500w. Why the hell would Dell make configurations available and not put in the correct power supply?

(edited by Discobizkit.6531)

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Dell typically uses the cheapest power supply they can (I doubt that it can actually even handle the 460 watts) and pre-built PC’s often come with power supplies that are barely up to task.

There’s a good chance the issue is your power supply if it simply can’t handle the power required of it.