Worst Possible Time to Crash (Mac)

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Enilwyn.9304

Enilwyn.9304

It’s hard not to take this concern personally. I’m playing on a new Mac and anytime something I consider fun (world bosses, WvW skirmishes, event bosses, etc) is about to happen the game crashes.

It is becoming so regular I am expecting it to happen every time a boss gets to 10% health. I can always log back in after receiving a “critical error” but of course I’m on a different map and I get zero credit for my participation.

As you can imagine, this ruins much of the enjoyment I get out of the game. I could not find any other topics involving crashes. Any help would be appreciated.

-Finchy

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

The OSX client crashes quite frequently and there isn’t any way to stop it from doing so :/
Events generally increase the amount of things happening on screen which is what causes the crashes.

The only recommendations anyone here can offer are to quit any other programs running on your computer (they will take resources away from GW2) and lower your graphics settings.

I’m sorry I can’t be of more help.

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

Lots of crashes mentioned in this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Can-we-please-get-a-working-Mac-Client-Merged/page/12#post5986824

To sum up, the Mac client is pretty poor and you are probably having out of memory errors. They have the same thing on the PC except the PC has a 64 bit client. We can’t have that on the Mac.

You may find dropping your graphics down is helpful. I have been managing for a while by doing that. I dropped them down to Best Performance and then tweaked them a little so that the gameplay wasn’t too ugly. It is annoying because my Mac is capable of so much more but at least it saves me the hassle of crashing.

It is helpful too if you try to get into a party or a squad at a big fight. Then if you crash, you should return to the same map.

Enilwyn.9304

That’s frustrating. But, thank you for the advise. I’ll tinker a bit, all I ever have in the background is Safari (if anything). Hoping the graphics adjustments does the trick.

Posted by: Magic Cuber.6230

Magic Cuber.6230

Just to make you feel better. I had 3 crashes in the last fight in Dragon Stands and got no rewards. It seems to crash more frequently on these HoT maps. On the core Tyria maps, I don’t really have these problem.

Enilwyn.9304

It really does crash at the most inopportune times, like when a world or WvW boss is at two percent. But I have noticed it happens a lot more than it did a few weeks ago.

Lowering settings, rebooting, logging off routinely have not provided any noticeable improvement for me. I can run around on the old zones fine but HoT is a nightmare.

I absolutely adore the gameplay in GW2, just can’t believe I bought a brick of a game for Mac.

Posted by: Archranis.2375

Archranis.2375

I have since switched to Windows, but recently played on a Mac. I found a reasonably reliable way to prevent the crashes, although it is very inconvenient.

First, I always try to group with someone so that I have a decent chance of re-entering the same map after a restart.

Then, I always would run GW2 with Activity Monitor open and use the filter to view only GW2 processes. When the memory use of the GW2 process got close to 2.35G, I would exit the client and restart. Then rejoin the map of the people in my group if I didn’t restart to the same map.

Hugely inconvenient, yes. And in HoT maps, it would mean a restart every 5-10 minutes (for me). But I preferred the “controlled” restarts rather than waiting for a crash.

[JUGs] Just Us Grownups — http://jugs-guild.com
Contacts: Archranis.2375 // Neksis Syxx.6983