Yes, another low FPS (WvW) thread...

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: SmoothHussler.6387

SmoothHussler.6387

I’m aware that I am not the only one experiencing this. My friend has a Intel based system and runs the game fine. So do I, with all settings on highest in PVE/PVP. I however am running anAMD (2.5ghz quad core – i know its not the greatest but still) with a Nvidia GPU (GTX 650 TI 2gb) and 8gb of RAM, yet even on the LOWEST settings (everything on low or off and resolution to the lowest) I still chug away at 10FPS in WvW.

I know dealing with so many players, and so many particle effects etc in WvW can be too much to handle, but I feel that with the current setup I have, I should at least have what amounts to a playable experience in WvW. Sorry I just had to vent. I love the game, and in PVE/PVP I have no issues (except in Lions Arch sometimes), but the fact that WvW is unplayable for more irritates me.

Please ANET, do something which can help offload some of the work from my CPU to my DX11 GPU.

Maguuma: Thug Life: [DERP][ME][PYRO] and other assorted dead guilds.

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

You didn’t list your exact cpu model, but judging from your 10fps its likely 4-5yrs old or more. Time to upgrade if you want heavy WvW action. Gotta pair a modern gpu with a modern cpu.

Want to know more on what the developers has said regarding this issue?
(See Part 4.11 here)

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

(edited by kirito.4138)

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

2.5ghz quad core AMD processor.. hmm theres ur problem. You could try OC’ing…
But its likely a slower model AMD.

If ur a AMD person the one u want for GW2 is a FX 8 series chip with a 4.5ghz OC. Then u can play WvW in >>big<< battles with in the region of 20-30 FPS.

If u dont mind going Intel then u can get a 3570k or 3770k or 2700k or 3930k and OC to 4.5ghz and play the same >>big<< battles wthin the region of 30-35fps.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

SmoothHussler.6387

No my processor is year old (came out January 2012). I do not wish to waste more money (I just bought new faster RAM and that GPU).

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-A8-Series%20A8-3820.html

SolarNova.1052

Hmm i see. Well unfortunatly thats one of AMD’s lower end APU’s..they aint really designed for gaming at this level.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Take a look where it ranks and ull see the problem.

Sorry to say but it was a bad buy imo

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Posted by: Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

you have 2 upgrade options
if you dont need the APU video
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Athlon%20II%20X4%20651K%20-%20AD651KWNZ43GX%20(AD651KWNGXBOX).html

with apu video
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-A8-Series%20A8-3870%20AD3870WNZ43GX.html

these are your 2 cpu upgrade options, they are unlocked so easy to overclock, you may also need a hyper 212 evo.

your cpu IS holding you back, sorry but this games min specs mean kitten all, in reality min specs should be 3570k or 8350 overclocked to 4.5ghz or higher.

AMD FX-8350@4.8ghz on air(SilverArrowSB-E Extreme) , 32gb 1866mhz(10-11-10 cr1)
PCP&C 1200watt TC, Crosshair V F-Z, Sapphire 290x

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

No my processor is year old (came out January 2012). I do not wish to waste more money (I just bought new faster RAM and that GPU).

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-A8-Series%20A8-3820.html

Yes that cpu is a year old, but also a budget low end model equivalent to a high end CPU made 5yrs old. Not really designed for gaming, but great for everything else.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

SmoothHussler.6387

Well I have accepted that the APU is just not up to snuff. Since I had a small credit from bestbuy I have purchased a new mobo and the AMD 5600k (3.6ghz quad core). I expect that WvW will now be playable with this new chip and the 8gb of RAM and Gtx 650 Ti.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113281

(edited by SmoothHussler.6387)

SolarNova.1052

Depends on what u call playable. U still wont get good performance wiht that CPU.

Did u look at the link i posted. The 5600k is still a ways down the list and even the top consumer intel chips (not Xeon) and the top FX amd’s have to OC to stay above 30 fps in big wvw battles :P

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

good move, I would have gone with the 5800k and overclocked it though :P

Posted by: Rafen.7361

Rafen.7361

So the game is more cpu based than gpu? If that’s the case would I see better performance upgrading from a Phenom II X4 945 at 3.0 ghz?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

the 945 should clock to at least 3.5(havent seen one myself that didnt do 3.6 easy peasy) that would be worth doing to see how much it helps before you bother upgrading your board as well.

if you need a better cooler, try the coolermaster hyper 212 evo(not the normal one, you want the EVO version!!!) its cheap, and would be worth having even if you decide to upgrade.

the 945 is a good chip to oc on, depending on stepping, some of the better ones hit the 4ghz range.

if your going to upgrade, get the 8350 and clock it to 4.5 or so(very easy, I have yet to see a 8350 that wont do 4.6 easy!!!).

you wont win any awards with the 945, but, its not really a bad chip, hell, If i could get one, I would put it in my biostar ta770 in a heart beat

i will say, my 8350 is quite noticeably faster then my 1055t was even with the 1055t at 3.6(4.1turbo on all cores), so was my 8120 though really……(in the same board same ram/exct)

SmoothHussler.6387

Depends on what u call playable. U still wont get good performance wiht that CPU.

Did u look at the link i posted. The 5600k is still a ways down the list and even the top consumer intel chips (not Xeon) and the top FX amd’s have to OC to stay above 30 fps in big wvw battles :P

Please understand that my money for this is limited and this was the best chip that I could get. On my existing setup I run 50-60fps with all settings on high, everywhere but WvW. I expect that it will be at the very least playable. Ideal? No but I do not have 200+ for a cpu alone.

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

still makes me shake my head that people build with amd cpu/apu and use nvidia video chuckles

SmoothHussler.6387

The newer model Radeons at the store were all too big for my case. The Geforce Gtx650ti was a great fit, a good money value and very responsible power wise. I’m sorry that they didnt have a selection more suited to your tastes.

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

just makes me laugh, sorry that upsets you……

and sorry your stores suck…..thats why I shop mostly online, because local stores like bestbuy have very limited crappy selection most of the time .

Posted by: Rampage.7145

Rampage.7145

U can never go wrong with Nvidia anyway, drivers are great the performance is allways butter smooth in terms of stuttering and that kind of stuff, Nvidia makes great cards, overpriced but great anyway. Just take a look at the new GTX titan it is a beautifull card, top notch manufacture, but 1000$????, give me a break.

Posted by: Rafen.7361

Rafen.7361

I actually figured out part of my problem earlier today. My graphics card was showing PCI-e 2.0 x16 @x1 2.0 in GPU-z and then when I looked in CCC I noticed that the limit was PCI-e 2.0 x1. So I re-seated the card and was back up to my previous frame rate before the patch. I’m not saying this is everyone’s problem it was mine.

Posted by: Rampage.7145

Rampage.7145

It i a known issue, most of the ppl whoe experience sudden FPS drops is cuz of that.

Posted by: JERRIX.5390

JERRIX.5390

I tried my best to defend AMD performance in games for the past few years. When Skyrim came out i had a Phenom II x4 925 @ 2.8ghz, and didnt think that was a bad deal. Well, Skyrim played like crap, moved to the 965, oced to 4.0ghz and was happy. then a few more games came out and i was presented with the same problems. bad performance, poor utilization. I don’t know enough about CPU architecture to blame it on any one thing, i just know that since i have upgrade to an i5 3570k OC 4.2ghz stock voltage, EVERYTHING has improved. I would say that frame rates are 100% improved. An example, in areas i was getting 15 FPS, i am now getting 30, if i was getting 25-30, i know receive close to a solid 60.

Sad facts

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

JERRIX: a 965@5 is around the speed of 3.4-3.6ghz i7 ivybridge, or the same as first gen i7’s, now in some cases the 965 would be faster but, you also gotta look at the platform, what chipset the board had and such.

the fact is, I have seen issues on both amd and intel with gw2, I have seen 4 systems built identical using cloned hdd’s that showed wide verations in perf, this is illogical but….I have seen it.

I have seen old tricore amd systems run teh game better/smoother then brand new i7’s, again, this is totally illogical but….im not the only one whos seen this weirdness out of this game.

some things to take into account.

1. when you moved to intel im sure you installed windows fresh and did fresh clean installs of drivers.

2. you probably bought faster ram as well.

3. may have gotten a new videocard.

yes a 3570k is faster then a 965 at 4.0 and depending on the platform under it, the dif could be even wider…..i mean, some motherboards honestly suck kitten #8230;.(i have seen as much as a 20% diff in real world app and game perf between some boards using the same chipsets….never again will I use MSI…..)

Intel makes some good chips, but, so do amd with the *3*0 chips(4300/6300/8300/8320/8350), it all depends on your budget, the titles you play and the use your going to put your system to, for me at least, an 8core from amd is a better value.

but, I encode, I dont just play games, I also run other heavily threaded tasks as well.

if all you do is play games, just get a dualcore i5 with HT and overclock it to hell and back.

if you use your system for something more demanding then just gaming, or even gaming+streaming/fraps/xsplit/exct then you should look at amd more closely.

The fact is, if you look at the min specs for this game, they are not even close to playable……this is by far the worst game I have seen for min specs meaning NOTHING…….and thats bad…..till this, i thought games like crysis where king of the missleading min specs…..

note: I just ran a little test tonight with some other mmo’s.

WoW, I ran a buddies acct for 15min of a large raid(i was an extra, they really didnt need my support), never Saw less then 60fps(my cap)

Rift: ran up to level 12, again, constant 60fps even in high effects battles(mind you, rift uses the gamebyro engine, the same core engine used in morrowind/oblivion/skyrim), very smooth, game maxed out with SMAA added.

Tera: never saw below 40fps even in load dips, normally it was bouncing between 58 and 60, even in velika at the bank.(biggest group i ran into)

WarFrame: did 20 or so missions, never saw it drop below 54fps

ghost recon online: solid 60fps

GW2 is the only game that runs this poorly for me.

GW2 is the only game that runs this poorly for anybody I know…..even people with first gen i7’s at 4+ghz get the same kinda perf I do in gw2…….funny enough, in some other games Im faster then them…and yes in a few like skyrim, i get lower fps if we run uncapped….(we all peg that game at 60 because we use dynamic vsync/frame limiters)

honestly, the biggest problem with gw2 is, it runs like crap on everybody’s hardware……

Posted by: Cheyron.2089

Cheyron.2089

Try to set “Animation” to “low” in WvW, helped me a lot. You wont see much difference in graphics, plus you will see more in WvW action (less skill animation which blinds you anyway).

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

honestly, the biggest problem with gw2 is, it runs like crap on everybody’s hardware……

Yes, we can all agree on this. Can you please stop the unproductive long post and anet optimization bashing. It is not really helpful

OP: Your chips is bad. You have an Llano chip which is slower than phenom.

I have an AMD trinity APU and I have a playable experience

Unfortunately, you brought a bad motherboard too. FM1 is already legacy due to the cutting edge nature of the first generation APU

Either upgrade or not play this game in WvW because Llano apus are slow

(edited by loseridoit.2756)

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Yes, we can all agree on this. Can you please stop the unproductive long post and anet optimization bashing. It is not really helpful

Unfortunately, you brought a bad motherboard too. FM1 is already legacy due to the cutting edge nature of the first generation APU

its not bashing if its true, and it is…….even you admit that…..why dont you stop the anet white knighting and excuse making?

and little note for you, Llano arnt really any slower then trinity, i think you need to read some reviews, the only real advantage for trinity is it overclocks better and it has slightly newer video(though not true 7000 series)

loseridoit.2756

its not bashing if its true, and it is…….even you admit that…..why dont you stop the anet white knighting and excuse making?

and little note for you, Llano arnt really any slower then trinity, i think you need to read some reviews, the only real advantage for trinity is it overclocks better and it has slightly newer video(though not true 7000 series)

Llano is much slower than trinity because it is slower than Phenom

Trinity > Phenom II > Llano

I am patronizing Anet because we are able to 30+ vs 30+ wars on an MMO. Most games do not make this possible. In fact, Battlefield 3 have a limit of 64 players. I am pretty sure WvWvW support more than 64 players. Of course, scaling will have issues. Scaling is not easy. Bashing Anet is not that productive.

DICE did they say can do 256 man map, but I doubt it because they have to redesign maps to accommodate that amount of people. Trying to test for server load is not easy.

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

you right, we didnt have 256man maps/matches in tribes in 1998-2001, or 128man maps in tribes2 in 2001 either(tribes1 256man servers used moded server files to allow larger player count, and even on 56k we could play on those without laggin out…)

for their day the tribes games where pretty high end gfx wise…..and they where a blast, with massive battles….

lets not mention planetside or unreal/ut2k4 or the slew of other games that had massive maps with lots of players(even more then the developers intended in unreal engine games…..) and never did it become unplayable on average game hardware let alone high end stuff.

SmoothHussler.6387

I have since installed a FM2 motherboard and a newer Trinity APU. I hope it works out! Fingers crossed I’m updating the game as we speak.

SmoothHussler.6387

Ok so with the new APU and Mobo, the game runs at high on ALL settings (except reflections and shadows, I will never play with those one). I average 70-90 FPS in PVE/PVP and zerging tonight for alittle in WvW, with most setting on low (kept the resolution) it runs 30-40 fps during zergfests. This is all I was looking for.

The lowest I say it was in the 20s. which is almost double what I was getting before. Its playable for sure. I can actually enjoy WvW.

loseridoit.2756

Ok so with the new APU and Mobo, the game runs at high on ALL settings (except reflections and shadows, I will never play with those one). I average 70-90 FPS in PVE/PVP and zerging tonight for alittle in WvW, with most setting on low (kept the resolution) it runs 30-40 fps during zergfests. This is all I was looking for.

The lowest I say it was in the 20s. which is almost double what I was getting before. Its playable for sure. I can actually enjoy WvW.

hmm you went out and brought a new motherboard. Oh well, fm2 socket have a decent upgrade path. You will still be able to upgrade to steamroller (2014) or excavator apu. (2015)

Posted by: blim.6320

blim.6320

HX850w
Bulldozer 8 core @ 300fsb 4.6ghz (water cooled)
8gb system ram @ 8-8-8-24 1600mhz
NB/HT @ 2.4ghz
6950 (unlocked) @ 865mhz 1300mhz

WvW unplayable.