Yosemite Beta

Yosemite Beta

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Elits.7843

Elits.7843

Hello,

Since Apple opened the Yosemite Beta to everyone, I wanted to know if some already installed it and tried to play Gw2 on it.
If you did, did the game launched properly, and without major bugs?
Or should I still stay on 10.9 for playing?

Thanks for your answers.

Yosemite Beta

Posted by: Aries Feathermore.5761

Aries Feathermore.5761

I just downloaded Yosemite, booted up the client and it worked fine. I would highly recommend you back a backup external hard drive somewhere just in case things get hairy – from what I know, it’s hard to go back to Mavericks after this. Best thing to do is to create another partition reserved for Yosemite.

But I downloaded mine on my main drive, so oh well

Yosemite Beta

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Yosemite is a beta and you should never ever install it on your main machine. Yeah it is quite possible that the game will continue to work as it has been, but there have been people who have had problems, and if you have a serious problem you can’t get support either from Apple or from Arenanet – because it is a beta OS and you are installing at your own risk.

The only reason to install a beta is if you have a genuine reason to test out features. So pretty much, unless you’re a developer why would you need to install an incomplete, unoptimised operating system…

Yosemite Beta

Posted by: mikeew.8607

mikeew.8607

FlamingFoxx.1305
Yosemite is a beta and you should never ever install it on your main machine. Yeah it is quite possible that the game will continue to work as it has been, but there have been people who have had problems, and if you have a serious problem you can’t get support either from Apple or from Arenanet – because it is a beta OS and you are installing at your own risk.
The only reason to install a beta is if you have a genuine reason to test out features. So pretty much, unless you’re a developer why would you need to install an incomplete, unoptimised operating system…

Funny I don’t see a single thread talking about issues with Yosemite.

As for me I am running Yosemite on my main machine all I suggest is make a time machine backup that way if something does go wrong you can revert. Otherwise it is not really for anyone to tell you how to use your personal property. Flaming Foxx just likes to I think see themselves talk in these threads so many times I see them respond and with no real validity to much of what is being said (/VENT)

All in all I am running iOS 8 beta 4 on my iPhone 5s and running public beta Yosemite and everything is running fine. I am running both as my daily driver. Have tested Guild Wars 2 and TS3 and both work just fine. Along with anything else I run.

EDIT: Also its funny you say that its a beta and beta’s are unsupported I think thats how many of us feel in these forums. Specifically pertaining to Mac. Just ironic and I’m quite certain that Apple would support it’s own open beta possibly even better than Anet has handled its supposed beta client issues with Guild Wars 2. Please for the sake of all of us and your general asinine statements leave this thread be.

EDIT 2: Attaching picture for further proof that Yosemite and GW2 run just fine.

Attachments:

(edited by mikeew.8607)

Yosemite Beta

FlamingFoxx.1305

There are threads where people have had issues with Yosemite. They may have been pushed back a couple of pages and they may not say Yosemite in the title, but they are there.

Apple supports in the beta in terms of software, but beta operating systems can cause hardware issues. There are plenty of people whose systems have been bricked by Yosemite (just go look at the macrumors forums). So yeah, most people don’t have problems. But operating systems in non final release states historically are only for developers specifically because they can have serious machine breaking issues. Seriously, even final releases can have serious issues, there have been times that Apple has had to pull updates because they’ve caused user data to be deleted etc. My comments are completely valid. If you don’t have a legitimate reason to test Yosemite then you should really just wait for it to be publicly/finally released when it is fully supported.

I repeat, I never said it WOULDN’T work on Yosemite, I pointed out that people had had problems and that if you do use Yosemite and run into problems (either with GW2 or Yosemite) then nobody can do an awful lot to help you out.

Just because you perceived something in a certain way doesn’t mean it is that way. I’d appreciate it if you left personal attacks out of this, they don’t help anyone.

Yosemite Beta

Aries Feathermore.5761

For the TL;DR version of what I’m about to say: OP, Yosemite works just fine, don’t be afraid to install it. Just be careful and have a backup (it’s good to have one anyway).

FlamingFoxx, you don’t provide accurate information, please stop posting. You are consistently wrong on your posts, and I honestly don’t know why you bother to reply to everyone needing help with incorrect information. Not only do you lead users down the wrong path, but you almost never provide factual information to back your claims.

“Yeah it is quite possible that the game will continue to work as it has been, but there have been people who have had problems, and if you have a serious problem you can’t get support either from Apple or from Arenanet – because it is a beta OS and you are installing at your own risk.”

The beta was released for public testing, this means that Apple developers are not only willing to work with talented developers who have had this beta for a while now, but the general public as well. If you have a question or problem, report it using the “Feedback Assistant” and post it to the forums. You will get help either way.

“The only reason to install a beta is if you have a genuine reason to test out features.”

What? Are you serious? No, it’s not the only reason. There are people who are Apple enthusiasts who enjoy the latest and greatest software published by them, and trying to drive users away from the beta is not only a disservice to Apple, but to the growth of technology as well. You have no right speaking on behalf of Apple, or as someone who is knowledgable on the subject, because you’re not.

“There are threads where people have had issues with Yosemite. They may have been pushed back a couple of pages and they may not say Yosemite in the title, but they are there.”

“There are plenty of people whose systems have been bricked by Yosemite (just go look at the macrumors forums)”

Many of those people had illegitimate copies of the developer beta, had software previously installed interfering the with OS, or other various factors that played key

“Seriously, even final releases can have serious issues, there have been times that Apple has had to pull updates because they’ve caused user data to be deleted etc”

Really? That’s a pretty big claim and you don’t have any proof.

“My comments are completely valid. If you don’t have a legitimate reason to test Yosemite then you should really just wait for it to be publicly/finally released when it is fully supported.”

No, they aren’t. You aren’t well-versed with Apple, that is obvious from your posts. I’ve been working with Apple products for 7 years now, I know what I’m talking about. Again, stop trying to turn users away from this simply because it’s in beta.

Yosemite Beta

Aries Feathermore.5761

EDIT: Also its funny you say that its a beta and beta’s are unsupported I think thats how many of us feel in these forums. Specifically pertaining to Mac. Just ironic and I’m quite certain that Apple would support it’s own open beta possibly even better than Anet has handled its supposed beta client issues with Guild Wars 2. Please for the sake of all of us and your general asinine statements leave this thread be.

His general asinine statements should leave this forum, and I totally agree with you, Apple will support this beta much better than ANET has done with theirs.

Yosemite Beta

Posted by: Elits.7843

Elits.7843

Thanks for all your answers, I finally installed, and it works just fine, no bugs, no crashs, didn’t see anything that changed.

As you perfectly said it Aries:

There are people who are Apple enthusiasts who enjoy the latest and greatest software published by them.

I installed the public beta for trying, testing the new features that Apple provided to us, and for the moment I’m enjoying this new version.

Yosemite Beta

Posted by: Adesia.5138

Adesia.5138

If you’re only supposed to download, install and use beta versions with the intent of testing, what’s that say about the GW2 Mac “client”? ¬_¬ lol

Yosemite Beta

Posted by: Gorillapaws.7482

Gorillapaws.7482

I’ve been having issues running GW2 OS X Beta on Yosemite. It seems others haven’t had those issues. The client launches but is invisible. I’ve trashed the library files and even tried to re-install, and the launcher isn’t rendering. The app icon appears in the dock, but the window is invisible. There is no way to reinstall at this time, since the launcher can’t download the client.

As others have said, use caution. You’re running beta software on a beta OS release—expect problems.

Yosemite Beta

FlamingFoxx.1305

Oh look, I wasn’t wrong.

Sorry that purging the application support folder didn’t work for you Gorillapaws, hopefully the issue resolves itself at some point.

Yosemite Beta

Posted by: mikeew.8607

mikeew.8607

Wow boast much. You were wrong you stated that users had already claimed to have had issues with Yosemite that was a complete lie. There was no other thread at the time complaining of issues. You really just need to leave these forums Foxx. As for Gorilla I would suggest you do a Time Machine restore then reinstall beta. It works just fine. The only issue I have seen is the 0000009 which was just a bug that carried over from prior GW2 issues where you just need to unplug the power cord then launch game and plug back in.

Yosemite Beta

Aries Feathermore.5761

Wow boast much. You were wrong you stated that users had already claimed to have had issues with Yosemite that was a complete lie. There was no other thread at the time complaining of issues. You really just need to leave these forums Foxx. As for Gorilla I would suggest you do a Time Machine restore then reinstall beta. It works just fine. The only issue I have seen is the 0000009 which was just a bug that carried over from prior GW2 issues where you just need to unplug the power cord then launch game and plug back in.

Exactly this.

The first time I tried booting up the client in Yosemite, I had the same symptoms as you. However, after restarting the client everything worked flawlessly.

Flamingfoxx, you were still wrong. You never provided proof, you never backed up your claim. Just leave pls

Yosemite Beta

FlamingFoxx.1305

There was an existing thread. If I weren’t on my phone I would link it to you. Please stop assuming that I must be wrong just because you can’t be bothered to scroll through pages of content.

This was only on the second page https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/OS-X-10-10-Yosemite/first#post4136598 and regardless of whether or not the issue was solved it quite clearly showed people having issues. Nothing I said was incorrect if you disagree that is fine but it is not ok to personally attack someone because you disagree with them. Nor is it ok to start telling them the should leave.

(edited by FlamingFoxx.1305)

Yosemite Beta

Aries Feathermore.5761

There was an existing thread. If I weren’t on my phone I would link it to you. Please stop assuming that I must be wrong just because you can’t be bothered to scroll through pages of content.

This was only on the second page https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/OS-X-10-10-Yosemite/first#post4136598 and regardless of whether or not the issue was solved it quite clearly showed people having issues. Nothing I said was incorrect if you disagree that is fine but it is not ok to personally attack someone because you disagree with them. Nor is it ok to start telling them the should leave.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. That was for the developer beta, not the public one released just recently, two different versions with different problems and features.

Even then, the problem, has the users indicated, was fixed. So why bring it up? You were incorrect, suck it up and deal with it. If you’re going to keep giving people wrong information, then yes, I want you to leave. Most of what you’ve told people has been nothing more than your personal opinion, not factual information. I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m showing you that you’re incorrect.

Again, you don’t know what you’re talking about, so don’t give people advice on what they should do.

Yosemite Beta

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

Someone gives sensible advice, and you guys dole out personal attacks? This is a tech support forum, not tumbler or reddit.

If someone says something wrong, point it out, correct it, job done. Anything else does not belong in here.

(edited by Naqaj.6219)

Yosemite Beta

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Indeed. I’m not really sure why there is so much hate here. Lets not attack each other personally, guys. It is pointless and just makes everyone look bad.

Anyway, back to the subject of Yosemite. Honestly, I wouldn’t install it on your only machine at this point if you don’t have good backups. A time machine backup is okay but you also have to account for how you want to do backups of Yosemite that won’t overwrite the backup of your previous, non-beta OS. This means multiple backups. Additionally, you have to also account for how much time it will take to recover from a bug. There have been reports of entire drives being messed up due to a flaw in partitioning.

I’m not saying don’t install Yosemite, just be aware that things going wrong are more likely and it is even more likely that other beta software (lets call GW2 mac client a beta because whatever) will not work either. Just because it is a “public” beta doesn’t mean there won’t be significant bugs (it is literally one build away from the last dev release). Heck, even x.×.0 OS releases can be buggy (anyone remember the bug where Filevault 1.0 nuked drives?). I think everyone can agree to be careful when installing a new OS and be careful with beta software.