gw2.exe norton alert

gw2.exe norton alert

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Roger.1790

Roger.1790

Hey,

Last update my norton anti-virus send an alert on gw2.exe that less than 5 user used it. I deleted gw2.exe went no My Account and downloaded the setup. Then norton alerted again and showed a url http://s3.amazonaws.com/gw2cdn/client/branches/Gw2Setup.exe?.

Is this url safe. Should I be concerned with a vĂ­rus on my machine?

gw2.exe file attached.

Thanks

gw2.exe norton alert

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Yes, it’s safe. I got no alert from Avira Antivirus plus the file is digitally signed by Arenanet.

gw2.exe norton alert

Posted by: Roger.1790

Roger.1790

Thanks for the help. Dont know why norton says less than 5 user for the file, some bug then.

gw2.exe norton alert

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Amazonaws is a virus. I had it before, do not download anything with amazonaws in it! —-malicious link removed-—

It is also known as a Browser Hijacker.

Amazonaws is NOT a virus, it is amazon.com web storage service used by a HUGE portion of the internet. The link you posted however IS a virus infected link and should not be followed by anyone. You should remove that link at once. Meanwhile I will report your post to the mods so they can delete that malicious link.

(edited by ShiningSquirrel.3751)

gw2.exe norton alert

Posted by: Slowly Losing My Mind.5031

Slowly Losing My Mind.5031

I removed the link, but it can be a virus because it can bring sites up that are infected. You didn’t need to be so ignorant. And let the OP look it up, all they have to type in in google is “is amazonaws safe to use”.

Here is one of the reviews I read.

Seeing references to that domain is definitely not inherently malicious, however given that you can store just about any file in S3 there’s no guarantee that it isn’t being used to store some malicious files (among the overwhelmingly legitimate files). AWS credentials are a valuable target for hackers so it’s possible the owner of the account has been compromised.

(edited by Slowly Losing My Mind.5031)

gw2.exe norton alert

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I removed the link, but it can be a virus because it can bring sites up that are infected. You didn’t need to be so ignorant. And let the OP look it up, all they have to type in in google is “is amazonaws safe to use”.

Here is one of the reviews I read.

Seeing references to that domain is definitely not inherently malicious, however given that you can store just about any file in S3 there’s no guarantee that it isn’t being used to store some malicious files (among the overwhelmingly legitimate files). AWS credentials are a valuable target for hackers so it’s possible the owner of the account has been compromised.

It’s not called “ignorance”, it’s called “knowing what you are talking about”. You posted false information, then also posted an infected site on top of it, potentially infecting other users. Amazonaws is no more a virus then Guild Wars is. You cannot “remove” something that does not exist on your computer in the first place.
You can store files on ANY website, anywhere and any account can be compromised, so all you really posted is a file “somewhere”, posted by “someone”, could be infected “somehow”. I do this for a living, and posts like the one you made are nearly as dangerous as the malicious sites themselves. If you do not know the subject, it is best to leave the answers to the people who do instead of posting false information after the correct information had already been posted and the issue resolved.

Also, a website can NOT “be” a virus. A web site can HOST a virus. A virus is a program that executes on your local PC. Amazonaws is a website, just like Google, Bing and even this very site we are posting to right here.

(edited by ShiningSquirrel.3751)