high end computers w/ low fps

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Noctura.3908

Noctura.3908

It undid a driver update, and I had to reinstall the driver to get it back to 10 fps. I sent a support ticket and got a reply that they were aware of the problem with many systems getting low fps. I tried everything suggested in the email they sent, but it had no results. I also tried three different driver versions with the same results.

I will try restoring again to a closer point. I will most likely have to update the graphics card drivers again after. I don’t think I can fix this on my end, and most likely have to wait. I read here on the forums some people have been waiting since launch for this to be fixed. I feel for anyone that experiences it in the future. I had just enough time to get attached to my character.

I will update if restoring it to a more recent point changes anything. I appreciate you trying to help. Thank you for replying.

Posted by: Alpha Dragon.4576

Alpha Dragon.4576

Can you also monitor your CPU and GPU see if it throttles or any temp probs? What driver version are you using?

- Dare to be Different –
Eternal Breaker[ExB] || Sanctum of Rall

Noctura.3908

Does this attachment help? I had MSI Afterburner to monitor. Let me know if there is something better to monitor it with.

It doesn’t have issues with any other games I have. Just GW2.
The driver versions I tried were Nvidia 301.42, 304.79, and the latest 306.23.
No changes between them.

Also tried restoring to a more recent point. No change.

Attachments:

Alpha Dragon.4576

That’s when you’re playing gw2?

- Dare to be Different –

Noctura.3908

Yes. That is when then game is running.
The FPS for the game is at the bottom on the picture.

Alpha Dragon.4576

I can suggest your can try http://downloads.guru3d.com/NVIDIA-Inspector-1.9.6.6-download-2612.html

Once downloaded just extract it to another folder and run it. Once it run right click on the icon from notification area and pick Multi-Display Power saver then on target GPU check GTX 470. On Full 3D application right click on it then browse for gw2.exe

See if it helps.

- Dare to be Different –

Noctura.3908

Thank you for the suggestion. I’m afraid there was no change. I feel like I have tried most options. More threads like this one seem to be coming up.
I am giving in for the night. I have been reading and working on this the entire day. T_T
I will look tomorrow and check for updates. Feel free to PM me if I miss anything important about this while sleeping. Thank you for trying to help.

Noctura.3908

I cannot fix the fact that my post for some reason repeated 3 times. It’s not even finishing the post… Deleting and testing repost…

Again… fail.

Going to try and paste it on this one.

-_- Still having 15-20 fps today. Still unplayable. I cancelled gamefly thinking this was the only entertainment I’d need for a long time…
So I guess I will be a frustrated forum ghost for a while.
This problem that happened literally overnight is infuriating.

Is there anywhere that they point out this is on their end and they will look into fixing it anywhere on the forums? I do not want to quit, and my friends want to buy this game. There is no point if I can’t play and have no idea when I will be able to. I am trying to promote this game, and I have to tell them um.. it’s broken and I don’t know why. I went through TSW and FFXIV… and now this. Are all mmos this way? Literally all of them?
Everyone keeps telling me I have a hardware issue. I do NOT have a hardware issue. My computer is working the same way it was when I started playing this game over a week ago.

If anyone has another suggestion I haven’t tried, feel free to tell me… but this is a growing problem, and it needs to be fixed on their end, or at least have them admit it’s a common problem so I quit getting hardware troubleshooting tips when there is nothing wrong with my machine.

I used to have nothing but great things to say about this game. It had become my favorite. This is really unfortunate… I was making an appreciation video to thank them for it…

Noctura.3908

I actually tried 100% reformatting my hard drive, and reinstalling literally everything. That did nothing to change the state of the game either.

Alpha Dragon.4576

Can you attach your dxdiag or game advisor.txt as well? will try to look into it tomorrow

- Dare to be Different –

Noctura.3908

I really appreciate you taking the time to look at it and try to help. Thanks.

My pc was cleaned off completely and I had to reinstall everything, so I am running a new game advisor test right now. I will post those as soon as I can. I also posted screenshots of some performance on low and high settings here as well:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Low-FPS-merged/page/20#post152428

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

The issue isn’t with any certain set of hardware, as far as I can tell. The problem is that the game is running, using only 60% of both CPU and GPU, or less. There’s a massive amount of potential that is just being missed.

This is a software issue with the game, not an issue with the drivers, or hardware itself. The reason different graphics drivers give different FPS results is that the GPU is just working better with its under-utilization using some drivers than other drivers.

Noctura.3908

Here is the Game advisor txt document. I made sure I did a clean install of the new graphics drivers.

I also included an attachment showing the content in my GW2 Documents folder. I was curious to see if anyone else experiencing this issue has similar files. They don’t look like a good sign.

Alpha Dragon.4576

Have you tried repairing the client? put -repair on the target line?

- Dare to be Different –

Noctura.3908

Of course. I sent a ticket to them and got the auto response to try that. I repaired it 4 times. I wiped my entire pc and reinstalled everything and it still didn’t do anything.
I’m seeing more threads that seem to be about this problem showing up. I think they have to fix this or tell me how along with everyone else getting this. >.<

Alpha Dragon.4576

Is the system crashing a lot? It’s kinda weird that you have a lot of corrupted dat files. Did you just copy your gw2 or fresh download?

- Dare to be Different –

Noctura.3908

No system crashes. No other problems. Nothing else is broken besides this game. I bought the digital download shortly after release, from the GW2 website, which is what I used to install it. I was playing error free, amazing fps for a week, have 3 chars past lvl 20. Was around so many people it was insane and got NO lag, and then one morning it just quit working and won’t run above 15 fps. It does not matter what I tried. There was no change. Max graphics, and low graphics did not change the fps of the game. There is nothing wrong with anything after a fresh windows install, and troubleshooting of everything concerning hardware. I have never had this problem with a game in the 3 years I have been gaming with it.

It really has to be the game.

Alpha Dragon.4576

Temps? What location are you getting 15fps? Have you tried changing maps when you’re adjusting the settings? Disabled Shadows/Shaders/Reflections/Post Processing and set fps to 60/30 then change map? I have a slower CPU than yours and patch after patch I don’t get much changes in fps (probably 1-5fps change)

- Dare to be Different –

Noctura.3908

Temps are completely normal. I already spent the last 2 days troubleshooting and making sure it wasn’t the computer. The fps is like this anywhere in the game I go. I already said multiple times that changing graphics options in game does not change anything with fps. It’s exactly the same.

This is a huge change directly after the latest patch, and I don’t think I am the only one experiencing it. This is also when those corrupt files showed up in my folder.

Alpha Dragon.4576

Do you have any friends nearby playing GW2? it’s either you can copy their GW2 folder to check or Fresh GW2 download. Thinking it might be those corrupted dats.

- Dare to be Different –

Noctura.3908

Completely wiped all traces of GW2 off my pc, and I am trying another reinstall with a fresh GW2 download. I will update if I get the corrupted dats again, or if it makes any difference.

Posted by: Viking Kong.1285

Viking Kong.1285

just like to add my contribution to this discussion.

i’m running gw2 with maxed gfx settings on these specs:

1st gen intel i7 quadcore @ 2.93ghz
16gb DDR3 RAM
nvidia geforce gtx 560 w/ latest drivers

usually, i get around a solid 50-60fps, even in large combat/city situations but then, seemingly out of the blue, my fps will drop to like 15-20 for about 20 seconds or so during the most mundane and non-cpu/gpu intensive situations.

it does, however, seemed to be triggered by entering combat or using spells or something. in large combat, it’s more frequent. for example, during a group quest with like 15 players or so running around fighting stuff, my fps will hang around 55 or 60 or so then drop to like 15 then just “click” back up to 60 for a period of time then drop right back down. it doesn’t seem to be the onscreen content which affects the drops.

my cpu usage doesn’t go above about 55% during the most hectic onscreen battles. this problem is similar to the one that plagued diablo 3 at launch; people with insane rigs getting laughable fps. it was due to hard-drive read times. blizzard hadn’t coded the game properly so the hard drive was constantly retrieving and loading unnecessary information which caused massive fps drops. luckily, they fixed it almost entirely in month or two after release.

i’m just gonna assume this is a driver/patch related issue and wait it out cause it seems heaps of people with crazy machines are getting weird fps.

Alpha Dragon.4576

Haven’t checked the HD usage though thanks for info as well might do a test run later lol. Also afaik there’s an issue on performance specially if you have shadows/shaders/reflection on high turning it down a notch usually solve the fps drop.

- Dare to be Different –

Posted by: Viking Kong.1285

Viking Kong.1285

mmm, don’t really think it would be HDD issue somehow but worth a test i guess. during the issue in d3 if you had a 10gb or so flash USB stick you could run d3 off that flawlessly as the issue wasn’t affecting solid state drives. it was weird.

Noctura.3908

Changing any/all the graphical options has absolutely no change in fps with this issue.

Waiting for the game to update.

Alpha Dragon.4576

Changing any/all the graphical options has absolutely no change in fps with this issue.

Waiting for the game to update.

Done with gw2 download? Can you monitor your CPU speed while playing gw2? see if its throttling down?

- Dare to be Different –

Noctura.3908

Alpha Dragon.4576

Ah ok. Sorry sometimes link in the forum is messed up and doesn’t show me the thread. Weird though your Core and Memory Clock are below performance level seems it’s power saving something.

- Dare to be Different –

Posted by: XeuQinu.6019

XeuQinu.6019

Been reading up on this quite a bit, since I experienced it today. Which is a little frustrating, considering the hardware I’m running.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Six-Core
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (4 × 2GB) DDR3 1600
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
GPU: GTX 690 4GB (306.23 driver)
SSD: Crucial M4 512GB
PSU: Thermaltake W0131RU 850W

Temps have been normal. Watching my cores while the game is running has been interesting though. Seems the load is not distributed across all of the cores evenly. One will always show a load of 85%-95% while the rest fluctuate between 20%-30%. I’m technical but not an expert when it comes down to game design/utilization/cpu instructions etc, but I would like to think that this game should be running like butter with my configuration. Or am I crazy?

I notice most of the lag during camera panning or when 15+ players are within the draw distance. (FPS can drop down to 5-10 in these instances)

Posted by: Artikbot.5176

Artikbot.5176

@XeuQinu:

Your processor is killing the entire rig. I’ve got an X6 1055T @3.6GHz too, and compared to an identical rig using an i5-3550, I get on average 25 FPS less on busy environments and 15 FPS less on a normal PvE instance.

All of this with a HD6950, everything maxed out including supersampling.

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

Before blaming Anet about bad coding, can you all check your system with other people to see if they are having the same issues? Seriously, you can find me on Overclock.net. There are many computer savvy there to help you.

The higher the clocks on CPU the better for GW2 and least ideal 4 cores.

CPU is the critical part for this MMO.

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

(edited by DJRiful.3749)

Noctura.3908

Dj…. this game is only using 9-10% of my gpu. Your post isn’t helpful at all, nor is anything that the “computer savvy” people have suggested.
This is a problem. Please do not throw to the computers. Just because you are not having this problem, doesn’t make it any easier on the OBVIOUS thousands of people this problem is affecting with VERY high end machines that were playing the game like a dream literally the day before this happened…