if i add a second radeon 7850 .....

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: winterlove.6834

winterlove.6834

will my framerates double? i get roughly 28-38fps have a core i7 920 overclocked to 3.8ghz and if i add a second radeon 7850 in crossfire will i get 60fps will my fps double from 28

i use max graphics settings but dont mind gettin a second card if it help if id get 60fps

(edited by winterlove.6834)

Posted by: Leet.9428

Leet.9428

It wont help at all because the game pretty much depends on ur cpu

Posted by: Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

as leet said, infact you would be better off trying to get more oc out of your chip or gettin a chip you can push to 4.5 or so……this games VERY cpu bound….to the point that even the latest i7 2011 series chips at 4.6 can only guarantee you 30fps min…..

it sucks but it is what it is……

AMD FX-8350@4.8ghz on air(SilverArrowSB-E Extreme) , 32gb 1866mhz(10-11-10 cr1)
PCP&C 1200watt TC, Crosshair V F-Z, Sapphire 290x

winterlove.6834

hmm ok well im wondering how important a role is memory speed then? like if i overclock my ram real high to say 1866 or somthin ? i only have single channle ram cause the lane is bvroken that giove it 2 or 3chanles

Posted by: Soul.6572

Soul.6572

Ram doesn’t do that much to performance. The real deal is as said before raw cpu power.

Posted by: God Of Fissures.8627

God Of Fissures.8627

Your FPS will go down because this game was not designed to handle more than one graphics card. The engine will get confused on how to handle the presence of more than one GPU and your frame rate will suffer.

SOURCE: My personal experimentation with two graphics cards.

i7-3770K (Delidded) @ 4.6GHz | nVidia GTX TITAN X@ 1468/7800
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz @ 2400MHz
Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD | Windows 10 x64

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Your FPS will go down because this game was not designed to handle more than one graphics card. The engine will get confused on how to handle the presence of more than one GPU and your frame rate will suffer.

funny, my fps as much as double with crossfire enabled outside places like LA/DE’s/WvWvW where im cpu bound.

the game works fine with sli/cfx and the game itself dosnt manage crossfire/sli, the drivers do, and for some time now both nV and AMD have had good profiles for gw2….infact the beta 13.2 drivers have made gw2 run even better on my dual 6870’s and 7870’s….

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Does-GW2-Support-SLI/20682

nvidia had some issues with SLI but from what i have read they where fixed with updated drivers that have fixed profiles for the game.

you keep saying gw2 cant/dosnt work with sli/cfx, when its just not true, yes some people have issues with it, but, thats true for many games and many times is due to profile issues.

with cfx/xf you need to install the latest cap’s if your not running the 13.2 beta’s (that have newer caps built in), the nice thing about crossfire is, amd puts out updated profiles without need to install new drivers or wait for the next beta set.

crossfire works with this game, so does SLI it just dosnt work like many would hope, because the games VERY VERY VERY cpu bound……

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

hmm ok well im wondering how important a role is memory speed then? like if i overclock my ram real high to say 1866 or somthin ? i only have single channle ram cause the lane is bvroken that giove it 2 or 3chanles

i just realized your on a first gen i7, you should be getting tri-channel out of that, so your ok…..if not, replace the board with one that works properly before adding a 2nd videocard.

and try and get the clocks up on that chip, every little bit helps with this game.

Posted by: God Of Fissures.8627

God Of Fissures.8627

funny, my fps as much as double with crossfire enabled outside places like LA/DE’s/WvWvW where im cpu bound.

the game works fine with sli/cfx and the game itself dosnt manage crossfire/sli, the drivers do, and for some time now both nV and AMD have had good profiles for gw2….infact the beta 13.2 drivers have made gw2 run even better on my dual 6870’s and 7870’s….

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Does-GW2-Support-SLI/20682

nvidia had some issues with SLI but from what i have read they where fixed with updated drivers that have fixed profiles for the game.

you keep saying gw2 cant/dosnt work with sli/cfx, when its just not true, yes some people have issues with it, but, thats true for many games and many times is due to profile issues.

with cfx/xf you need to install the latest cap’s if your not running the 13.2 beta’s (that have newer caps built in), the nice thing about crossfire is, amd puts out updated profiles without need to install new drivers or wait for the next beta set.

crossfire works with this game, so does SLI it just dosnt work like many would hope, because the games VERY VERY VERY cpu bound……

You must be one of the lucky few who isn’t having issues with CFX scaling. With my two 6950’s (both in 16x slots but with CFX it makes the bandwidth 8x/8x), my performance was less than if I used just one. This was not with a beta driver.

My Sapphire Vapor-X 3GB 7970 should be in the mail in a couple of days. I hope to see some FPS improvements over my 6950.

i7-3770K (Delidded) @ 4.6GHz | nVidia GTX TITAN X@ 1468/7800
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz @ 2400MHz
Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD | Windows 10 x64

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

try this http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/amdcatalyst132betadriver.aspx

and its not the lucky few, i know a good number of people running cfx and sli who have no issues with gw2 gaining from it.

you also may want to install MSI Afterburner and monitor your card clocks and load, could be one of your cards is staying in 2d mode(it happens) if this happens oc the cores by 5mhz and apply it, that should lock them at 3d clock when your gaming.

and 8x/8x is fine, even 7970’s dont benefit above that.

but seriously try the latest drivers and toss afterburner on your rig….the game works fine with sli and cfx as long as your drivers are up to date and caps are up to date(again you dont need the seperate caps with these drivers at all they are built in)

another handy app for ANY AMD videocard user to have is Radeon Pro.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=373303

per game profile app far better then the ccc

direct link to the download page
http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/Downloads/Preview.aspx

honestly, if your having issues, its almost certently driver based problems that just require an update to fix……if your on old drivers specially without caps, you got no profile for gw2.

2nd option as I said is the 2nd card isnt ramping to full speed, you can fix that with afterburner (hell, i have had it happen with single cards even, some odd reason they get stuck in 2d clocks and wont ramp….crazy)

winterlove.6834

i just realized your on a first gen i7, you should be getting tri-channel out of that, so your ok…..if not, replace the board with one that works properly before adding a 2nd videocard.

and try and get the clocks up on that chip, every little bit helps with this game.

yea its a first gen i7 im spose to get tripple channle but board is broke i only get single channle but have 2stks equaling 8gb but it reads as single chanle in cpu-z getting a board well they dont have them on new egg it’s almost a better buy to get a new cpu and motherboard for that imma wait for the new chip in june

winterlove.6834

try this http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/amdcatalyst132betadriver.aspx

and its not the lucky few, i know a good number of people running cfx and sli who have no issues with gw2 gaining from it.

you also may want to install MSI Afterburner and monitor your card clocks and load, could be one of your cards is staying in 2d mode(it happens) if this happens oc the cores by 5mhz and apply it, that should lock them at 3d clock when your gaming.

but seriously try the latest drivers and toss afterburner on your rig….the game works fine with sli and cfx as long as your drivers are up to date and caps are up to date(again you dont need the seperate caps with these drivers at all they are built in)

honestly, if your having issues, its almost certently driver based problems that just require an update to fix……if your on old drivers specially without caps, you got no profile for gw2.

2nd option as I said is the 2nd card isnt ramping to full speed, you can fix that with afterburner (hell, i have had it happen with single cards even, some odd reason they get stuck in 2d clocks and wont ramp….crazy)

so if i add a second 7850 do u think my frames will double from minimul 28fps to 56fps?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

yea its a first gen i7 im spose to get tripple channle but board is broke i only get single channle but have 2stks equaling 8gb but it reads as single chanle in cpu-z getting a board well they dont have them on new egg it’s almost a better buy to get a new cpu and motherboard for that imma wait for the new chip in june

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=socket+1366&oq=socket+1366&gs_l=products-cc.3..0l4j0i5l2.987.3468.0.3828.11.11.0.0.0.0.169.1019.8j3.11.0...0.0...1ac.1.Qc3ZCHNkpUE

just a suggestion, you can get a decent board for a decent price still, infact some of them are pretty cheap

http://3btech.net/motherboards-ot1.html

they got a couple 1366 boards from before msi went to being crap.

i know a few other places, but, honestly, it would be a good hold you over at the very least, in all honesty, despite what some here would say, the i7 first gen are not bad chips, and with proper cooling, board and ram, they can clock very well and give very good perf in games, gw2 wont run great no matter what you have so…..no point in worrying about how well it will run…..

so if i add a second 7850 do u think my frames will double from minimul 28fps to 56fps?

in places your not being cpu bottlenecked yes it would boost your perf, anyplace your cpu bottlenecked it wont help much if at all.

on a side note: it would help pretty much every other game out there, gw2, it will not fix the cpu bottleneck nothing can do that…..and no cpu on the market can make this game run wonderfully without exotic cooling and lots of it….

winterlove.6834

thanks, nice… i like that google search been tryin to find a cheap board

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

not a problem, remember froogle.com is google product search and can be a life saver

Posted by: Espionage.3685

Espionage.3685

will my framerates double? i get roughly 28-38fps have a core i7 920 overclocked to 3.8ghz and if i add a second radeon 7850 in crossfire will i get 60fps will my fps double from 28

i use max graphics settings but dont mind gettin a second card if it help if id get 60fps

I’m almost positive it’s already been answered, but nope it won’t have any real effect on FPS. I also have a 7850 and it’s “rare” for me to see GW2 become GPU-capped (I think average GPU usage for me is like 65%).

This is with all settings at max/enabled except Shadows (Medium) and Reflections (Off) @ 1600×900.

winterlove.6834

I have a core i7 920 and just checked GPU usage in game and its using 100%

Posted by: Chobits.2430

Chobits.2430

I have 2×6970s in Crossfire and I really can’t tell much of a difference. My Max FPS are a little higher running Crossfire (Nowhere near double), but my Minimum FPS is about the same either way (16-18 FPS during Jormag).

(edited by Chobits.2430)

winterlove.6834

well yea there are server side limitations but may I ask what kind of CPU do you have

Posted by: zerk.9701

zerk.9701

Cut down reflections, shadows and SS if you have a single 1080p monitor you will see no gains adding anouther card.