is it worth getting a 120hz Monitor?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Solfan.7531

Solfan.7531

Hi guys, I’m moving to US and i play to build a new PC. I head that 120hz monitors are such a big deal from 60hz ones, and you can really notice the difference, you guys confirm that?

if so, which one would you suggest me? I can spend around 200-300 bucks, even more if it’s really decent

Posted by: The Warder.6352

The Warder.6352

If you like playing at a 1920×1080 resolution, you will get a slightly smoother visual experience at 120Hz and be able to play in 3D if that’s your cup of tea. I have never seen any monitor beyond that resolution that is capable of 120Hz. Your budget allows for $300, which will get you a nice 120Hz monitor like an Asus, BenQ, or Dell. I don’t believe you can get a full surround setup like Eyefinity or 3D vision for that price range, though.

Posted by: illutian.7630

illutian.7630

Also, don’t EVER get any monitor with the built-in 3D emitter…unless you don’t mind shipping a monitor back to replace a ~$120 USD emitter.

I would sit on it for awhile. ASUS’s VG278H/E has had reports of a “halo” developing in the center and spreading out.

Another thing to remember: If you’re upgrading from a CFL back-light to a LED back-light you’ll want to run on max brightness. Or you’ll likely end up with splitting headaches do to the ‘pulse width modulation’ used to give the illusion of a dimmer image.
-Basically think of how CRT’s showed up scan lines when filmed with a camera. You’ll get Vertical Scan lines with the LCD.

I would also recommend going with NVIDIA’s 3D setup. As most games that are made for 3D are specifically geared towards NVIDIA’s “3D Vision”.

Another thing to consider if you’re going 3D is the new 144Hz monitors (72Hz per frame in 3D mode). While 144Hz vs 120Hz isn’t barely noticable in 2D mode. In 3D mode the difference is 72Hz vs 60Hz. And if you are prone to headaches while watching 3D movies the higher Hz should help to avoid it.

Main: illutian Kade
Server: Borlis Pass
Guild: Midgard Protectorate

Posted by: Rampage.7145

Rampage.7145

120hz can be noticed, it is not a big deal but a 120hz monitor provides sharper images while camera is moving, if u play a lot FPS or racing games i’ll say go for it, for 3rd person games it is not so usefull.

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

60hz vs 120hz is easily noticable. But its a individual thing, each persons eyes are different , some can see the difference, other cant. Its nothing to be ashamed about if u cant see it, nor is it somthing to brag about if u can.
You can not ‘see’ a difference between 60fps and 100 fps on a 60hz monitor, but u can ‘feel’ the difference. On a 120hz monitor however u can both see and feel it. The arguments over 25 FPS vs 60 FPS are all void if u ask me, each person can easily test that out themselves using frame limiters on a standard 60hz screen, so saying ‘u cant see it’ when u can test it urself is …well…..u get the point :P

The thing is, 120hz monitors r only usfull if u can sustain minimum of 60FPS and above, and those kind of framerates are only ‘usefull’ in highly competative games, mainly FPS games. However if u dont care for usfullness and just want somthing that ‘feels’ better in all games whether u ‘need’ it or not, then yea go for 120hz.

BUT

120hz is only currently available on 1080P screens, unless u get lucky and find a 1440p screen that can OverClock. 1440p, 1600p, and 4kHD(3840×2160) are all ether out of coming out in the next couple years. IMO for games like MMO’s and other non competative games, i would vote for a higher picture quality, over higher than 60FPS.

So theres ur choices.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

(edited by SolarNova.1052)

Posted by: Solfan.7531

Solfan.7531

I’m not that expert on monitors, i’m planning to use it mainly for gaming / movies – I heard it’s really smooth to play serious PVP on 120hz, you can really check out the difference.

What’s the measure on monitors for quality? Resolution and something else?

Thanks once again

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

Grey to Grey response time. (lower is better)
Input respons time (lower is better)
Brightness and Contrast (higher is better)
Color Gamut % (higher is better)
PPI (Resolution ( HxW ) / Screen size) (100+ is good.)
Refresh Rate (60hz or 120hz usualy)
Finish – Matt vs Glossy (personal preferance)

Probably more stuff that i havnt thought of the top of my head, but for quality those are things that come to mind first..after that its just down to extra features and such.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |