kicked, someone trying to hack me or bug?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I was playing the game when I was kicked to the character select screen. I got a message saying someone else was logging on to my account, but I wasn’t kicked completely. I selected my character and jumped back in, but was promptly kicked back to the character select screen and received the same message. I jumped back in again and nothing else happened.

Thirty minutes passed and I tried to sell something on the Trading Post, only to have the TP blanked out and a message informing me I must login to use this function. I minimized the client and saw that my GW2 forum account had been logged out. Is this a function of my being timed out of the forums and it somehow affecting my game connection? Or should i be very worried that my password has somehow been compromised? Thanks

Posted by: Chobiko.9182

Chobiko.9182

Hi,

I’d be slightly worried. It might be a bug, or it might be someone actually hacking your account.

Change your password. There are good hints about how to make a strong one but something like:
"Englishsoundingword"+"RandomSpecialcharactersandnumbers"+"Otherinventedword""etc.etc."

Is often very easy to remember and strong passwords. (Granted they are over 16 chars long)

Also add two-step verification to be sure.

If you experience that you have been hacked, and especially after the change of password, then I’d start to look at my connections, the computers I log in from etc. it usually means someone is spying on you.

A common password on the net, is like using a simple ward lock on your door in the U.S.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Thanks for the reply.

I checked my email, and I had three authorization requests from China (I’ve had these before, but I’ve trusted the email authentication system to this point). I didn’t know about the Google mobile app authenticator, so I installed and linked that to my account.

Oddly enough, on my Security page (which I’ve never had reason to think of checking until tonight) it showed two people in China logged onto my account (at the same time I was). It also had a “trusted” address from another state. I disconnected/removed all three of these.

I’ve logged out and logged back into the game to check ensure the authenticator was working properly (a little peace of mind before hitting the sack is never a bad thing), but was not prompted to enter the authentication code. Does this thing not work? Or does it never ask for a code when logging on from an ISP set to “trust” in the email authentication system? Any help you guys can offer is appreciated.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

dude, change your password, like right… now!

As for the authentication, I thought it says you can only have either one? either an email one or mobile, I wasn’t able to get both working? Either way I liked email more, always have different passwords for your email and game and it is highly recommended to use a fresh password. not a reharshed one from another game/forum/ account of watever.

The moment you see random verified china ips and being kicked out of your game is a huge indication of your account being compromised. I hope you changed your password in time and nothing happened.

(edited by Lafiel.9372)

Posted by: Michael.4791

Michael.4791

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/looks-like-I-ve-been-compromised/first#post1362707
Keep it there, because it belongs there.
And about security, I put my thoughts there too.

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hi everyone,

Darkace, please change your password as soon as possible and proceed to perform a full scan of your computer. If you have any additional problem, please contact support.

Thanks for your understanding.