low fps on 7970 and i5 2500k

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: heero yuy.4057

heero yuy.4057

so… last year I had a E6700 oc to 3.8 ghz and an NVidia 295

this year I have an i5 2500k oc to 4.7 ghz and a 7970 oc to standard ghz edition speeds

when playing the game I put everything on high and I get something like 40 or so fps
my 7970s fans after a while spin up to max so that’s probably doing something
no idea bout my i5 though (its a quad core with none of that hyper threading stuff)

and yes my card is doing X16 (theres some post somewhere saying that his card was at X1 or something so he did stuff in the BIOS and its now running at X16 or X8 or something and it fixed his fps)

my computer is a high end machine (not like the best you can have but its all you need to play anything currently out) yet it cannot play this game well (you know this game that when it launched there were a lot of people going on about it and there appeared to be a fair amount of hype surrounding it)

I should point out that the aforementioned E6700 and the 275 I had before the 295 could play TERA (a game that has better visuals) with everything on the highest settings at over 60 fps now its running it at over 300 fps (if I turn vsync off)

and this game does not appear to be optimised much at all

could anyone tell me why this is? it makes no sense (oh hang on its still running on the same engine guild wars 1 used right? some form of cost cutting measure right? this means it only supports DX9 right? even after someone from the dev team said they were excited about the possibilities of DX11 or something right?)

Posted by: QuiroN.9758

QuiroN.9758

I decided to call it quits till they optimize the game. I just upgraded to a i7 4700k Haswell 4 gen Intel architecture, a Gigabyte z83-D3HP motherboard (even had to upgrade memory, since I had ddr2) . My video card is a Sapphire HD 6950 Dirt 3 Edition (with 6970 shaders unlocked, and yeah, have tried the game with stock bios also, since the card has dual bios, same results on GW2). And I still have 8 fps, everything on low.

I’m not gonna continue scratching my head, installing and reinstalling, and tweaking stuff, just for this game, while every other game I play, runs great at 1080p, everything on high settings.

(edited by QuiroN.9758)

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

Sounds like you PCIe is not set to x61 or you have your video card in the wrong PCI slot.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: heero yuy.4057

heero yuy.4057

Sounds like you PCIe is not set to x61 or you have your video card in the wrong PCI slot.

that would mess with other games like crisis (that runs on max no problems) or metro last light (that runs on max but the frames drop on this one level when I’m going across a bridge + that game just does not like AMD cards at all the benchmarks show it)

and the card is in the top slot (my motherboard goes like this: 2X pci-E X16 (X8 dual mode – that means if I have a card in each X16 slot they run at X8) and then theres another one at the bottom that’s at X4 or something

also I fixed the problem sort of – I had taken the overclock off a bit ago while I did some testing with things (overclocking the ram) and forgot to put it back on

Posted by: Torque.2948

Torque.2948

This game is cpu heavy and barely uses 50 to 60 % of the gpu. The problem is it needs work it needs more optimization. The fanboys of Guild Wars will always say get better hardware, but thats simply not the case. I have the some of the best hardware and guess what the fps drops in this game are the worst I have ever witnessed. If Anet doesn’t optimize, this game will always run like garbage with huge frame drops etc… It has very little to do with the Gpu. I have played future mmo’s in beta and they run 100x smoother than this game. I loved Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 has a lot of potential, but only if they find the resources to fix the issues. Don’t spend time on these mini game updates spend time optimizing the game then spend time on an xpac. I suspect the problem lies with Ncsoft not wanting to come off the funds because they are to busy with spending the funds on Wildstar..

Posted by: XFlyingBeeX.2836

XFlyingBeeX.2836

This game is cpu heavy and barely uses 50 to 60 % of the gpu. The problem is it needs work it needs more optimization. The fanboys of Guild Wars will always say get better hardware, but thats simply not the case. I have the some of the best hardware and guess what the fps drops in this game are the worst I have ever witnessed. If Anet doesn’t optimize, this game will always run like garbage with huge frame drops etc… It has very little to do with the Gpu. I have played future mmo’s in beta and they run 100x smoother than this game. I loved Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 has a lot of potential, but only if they find the resources to fix the issues. Don’t spend time on these mini game updates spend time optimizing the game then spend time on an xpac. I suspect the problem lies with Ncsoft not wanting to come off the funds because they are to busy with spending the funds on Wildstar..

+1

Posted by: XFlyingBeeX.2836

XFlyingBeeX.2836

still i recommend you to do prime 95 to check your CPU stability

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

that would mess with other games like crisis (that runs on max no problems) or metro last light (that runs on max but the frames drop on this one level when I’m going across a bridge + that game just does not like AMD cards at all the benchmarks show it)

and the card is in the top slot (my motherboard goes like this: 2X pci-E X16 (X8 dual mode – that means if I have a card in each X16 slot they run at X8) and then theres another one at the bottom that’s at X4 or something

also I fixed the problem sort of – I had taken the overclock off a bit ago while I did some testing with things (overclocking the ram) and forgot to put it back on

It wouldn’t really affect other games though. Even at 1x, a game that is optimized to use the GPU correctly isn’t going to suffer that much. But when the game is heavily coded to use the CPU and only put 30-40% back on the GPU is where that 8x and 16x really shine.

You should download CPU-Z and verify that your PCI-E is linked at 8x or 16x at the very least, if its not fix it.

Another poster had the same card as you, and the exact same issue. His was linked at 1×. Once he got the card linked at 16x the his FPS went through the roof.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD