ram usage of mac client

ram usage of mac client

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

It says there in the system info that I would need around 4gig of ram to run this, as well as Lion or better. This is kinda a hiccup for me coz I only have a macbook (not pro), 2gig ram and snow leopard. I was able to run gw2 on boot camp but i think playing the game for extended hours kinda ruined my hard drive (it crashed once and I could never load windows on it again, also disk utility found corrupted something and needed it to be fixed). I have since deleted my windows partition and was planning to try out the mac beta client.

Will I still be able to run gw2 here? I don’t wanna download a large client only to find out I have to make another windows partition and install it in windows again.

I seriously need to upgrade my laptop :|

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

ram usage of mac client

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

We’d need more specs as far as what you’re actually running. Honestly, being below 10.7.4 is probably going to hurt you.

ram usage of mac client

penatbater.4710

yea but it’s weird coz gw2 windows client can run on windows XD (XP! :O) and only 2gig ram. =/

ram usage of mac client

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Not really. Apple almost completely ignored their drivers and OpenGL until 10.7. Seriously, part of the “macs aren’t for games” meme is completely Apple’s fault for being dismissive of games until it started accidentally selling iPod Touches (the other part of the fault lies with immature people just looking to be jerks).

Sad to say but 10.7.4 was a pretty major update as far as games are concerned.

As far as the rest of your specs, can’t say because you haven’t posted them.

ram usage of mac client

Posted by: Piia.7659

Piia.7659

I’m going to guess that you are running either a 2.0 or 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo. Is it white or black?

If your machine is older than 2009, you could upgrade to a maximum of 6GB of 667 RAM, but it’s costly as you will need 2 4GB in order for 6 to be recognized, but upgrading to 4GB would help.

If it’s one of the last two models before they were discontinued, you could put up to 8GB of RAM into it, and if you are lucky to be in this position… RAM prices for 1066 RAM is a lot cheaper than 667, and you might be able to squeeze some more time out of your machine.

If your Hard Drive is failing, that is the least of your worries because not only are they cheap, it’s a good excuse to swap out the slow factory default 5400 speed Hard Drive for a 7200 speed drive with more space. They’re cheap… about $100.00 (or less). Just make sure you spend the extra cash to have a proper Apple Authorized Dealer install it for you (and get the RAM at the same time).

In total, you’re looking at roughly $300 in upgrades (give or take depending on what RAM type you need and what type). At the end of the day though, it’s still a Core 2 Duo machine and you should consider what you’re spending on upgrades could be applied to a new machine.

ram usage of mac client

penatbater.4710

It’s the white one, but it’s the one with the unibody, I think this was the first time the unibody macs were introduced. Maybe I could just upgrade the ram and the hard drive. Overall, I still like my mac and despite the age, on mac os, it’s still pretty fast (compared to typical windows machines where they run great for the first year or so, but then become horribly slow towards the end of their life cycle).

For more info:
2.26 core 2 duo
2gig 1067 MHz DDR3
Nvidia 9400M

This has the complete list I think. http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.26-white-13-polycarbonate-unibody-late-2009-specs.html

Guess I’ll try to update to 10.7 first. =/ shakes piggy bank

ram usage of mac client

Piia.7659

Nice… you’ve got one of the newer ones Upgrade that puppy to 8GB and swap out the Hard Drive to a faster RPM model (7200RPM minimum). Parts total should cost about $200, plus labour.

You’ll experience a whole new machine.

ram usage of mac client

penatbater.4710

haha thanks! then I’ll upgrade to 10.8 if I can afford it. Guess it’s almost time for an upgrade anyway.

EDIT: most mac centers would usually sport those stuff right? Or can I just buy from a different store and maybe pay them to install it for me? o.o (ok i know this is asking too much from a gw2 forum hehe but hey, if someone can answer :P)

(edited by penatbater.4710)

ram usage of mac client

Piia.7659

Your best bet is to take it to an Apple Authorized Dealer. It’s not an Apple Store, but they are authorized to sell and service Apple products. Dealers tend to have more variety in terms of upgrade hardware, particularly for models older than 2 years.

I work for one of these myself, and the Apple Store in our region frequently sends customers to us for upgrades for reasons noted above.

Generally they also do installations too. We do free installation of all RAM upgrades. Hard Drives we do charge a fee since there’s more involved. Each dealer reserves the right to set their own prices… you are probably looking anywhere from $50 to $90 for installation.

I strongly recommend avoiding any PC shop that doesn’t have an Apple Logo with the “Authorized Dealer” statement on it. In my experience a lot of these try to save a few bucks getting parts from questionable sources… parts that don’t work and often lead to other problems. Few of them know how to service these machines as well, and while RAM is easy enough to install, I wouldn’t want someone who has never opened a MacBook before installing a Hard Drive for me.

Good Luck!

(edited by Piia.7659)