[security] In-game mail "GM Veana Shadowseon"

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: fluxit.8247

fluxit.8247

Hello all,

I would like to verify the authenticity of this in game mail before I click any links. I recently logged into Gw2 to find an in-game mail from a GM Veana Shadowseon. The mail basically says I need to click a link to verify my account due to currency transactions or abnormal logins and I have 72 hours to do so.

Could someone verify whether or not this is an authentic method of communication via users and anet staff members.

This has not been the method of communication for account verification in the past as usually anet communicates such issues through my email address and not in game mail. This looks like a phishing scam ALTHOUGH the url attached to the in-game mail looks like an official gw2 website address.

If this is an official request to verify my account within 72 hours might I make the suggestion to gms to not make it look like a scam and communicate via my account affiliated email address. It would be a whole lot more professional especially considering I CAN’T actually click urls within gw2.

I appreciate your responses. I’m highly suspicious of this mail but would prefer my account not be shutdown. Until then I will not be “clicking” the link.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Was there a note at the bottom that it was from another player and not from ANet? If you don’t remember, go look. (ANet won’t contact you like that. They close down accounts and let the people contact them).

Read this: Common phishing attempts, emails.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Scam

Read the whole e-mail. It clearly says NOT from anet on the bottom. You would have known immediately.

There are multiple posts about this every day here and it is covered in the sticky
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Common-Phishing-Attempts-E-mails-In-Game-Mails/first#post4980574

Posted by: fluxit.8247

fluxit.8247

Thank you for answering my question so fast. You have confirmed my suspicions. No more replies are necessary.