(solved) GW2 suddenly won't start

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I literally just played fine an hour ago, went to eat dinner, took a shower, I came back and now I’m getting this message (see picture below). No one touched my computer while I was away, nothing was installed, uninstalled or changed in any way. I Googled the error message and some people said to try other drivers but an hour ago it worked with the driver I have and now it doesn’t? How is this even possible?

Attachments:

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

If you have both an integrated and dedicated GPU, like a laptop, ensure the dedicated GPU is activating.

Restart the computer.

You can try deleting the folder %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/, which will reset your hardware-related settings.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

If you have a DPS meter, or any sort of graphical enhancement like reshade or gemfx installed, remove them.

Try rebooting.

Try running a malware scan with windows defender.

It’s … possible, because it happened, but I’ll bet that it’s in that fun category of bugs, “something bad happened when nothing obvious changed so it’s impossible to figure out the root cause and fix it, since it’s some random timing related crash caused by both software and hardware.”

Mea.5491

Well, I just finished reinstalling the game and it works now. What the hell was that? -_- I only use Reshade but never had problems with it. I put it back and works again. Weeeird.

(edited by Mea.5491)

SlippyCheeze.5483

Well, I just finished reinstalling the game and it works now. What the hell was that? -_- I only use Reshade but never had problems with it. I put it back and works again. Weeeird.

Sounds like something corrupted the executable, or maybe one of the data files, in a way that repair didn’t fix or something. It’s very strange, so the two things I’d advise being concerned about are:

It could be some malware trying to infect the executable, and failing. That’s not super-duper likely because that’s hardly the most common path for the things these days, but make sure your Windows Defender is up to date and run a full scan.

It could also be that there was something unrecoverably wrong with a block on your hard disk. That could presage a disk failure, so make sure anything you value on that drive is backup up somewhere, just in case. (It’s more likely it was just a bad block, couldn’t be recovered, but got replaced with a spare on rewrite, or the issue went away after rewrite, but … having backups is a good idea anyhow.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It could have been a corrupted file. I didn’t see where you posted you tried a -repair of the client first, so, maybe next time try that before reinstalling. Might be quicker and less hassle.

Good luck.

Mea.5491

I tried repair, it didn’t work. And I don’t know about malware, I have Avast and according to it, my computer has no viruses? No idea, I’m not really a techie person. :P I’m just glad it works again, I’d be really sad if I couldn’t play GW2.

That could presage a disk failure

Scary… I have everything on 1 HDD, lol.

SlippyCheeze.5483

Yeah, Avast should be OK. Please, please have backups though. Because any disaster is terrible. Dropbox and Google Drive copies of stuff are pretty easy, and worth it.

Mea.5491

Yeah, Avast should be OK. Please, please have backups though. Because any disaster is terrible. Dropbox and Google Drive copies of stuff are pretty easy, and worth it.

I have some stuff saved on my flash drive but the most valuable things on my computer are my MMOs and they can be reinstalled anytime, lol. My PC is still young so I hope I won’t have hardware issues anytime soon.