wanting to upgrade cpu, but how?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Ok, so I downloading AIDA64 Extreme to find out what motherboard i had to see what chips I could use. And completely confused.

Currently I’m using DualCore Intel Pentium E5300, 2.6ghz.

I can see the motherboard ID, and the name, but no idea what pins it can take.

if anything, looking to upgrade to Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz Quad-Core Unlocked, but somehow, i think it won’t fit.

help?

Posted by: Chobits.2430

Chobits.2430

You are correct, that i5 upgrade is not compatible with your computer.

At the very least you would need a new motherboard with a Socket 1155.

Serophous.9085

You are correct, that i5 upgrade is not compatible with your computer.

At the very least you would need a new motherboard with a Socket 1155.

can you help with how do i tell what will work?

Posted by: Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Your current processor is a socket LGA 775, in terms of computers, this is 3+ generations old. The best you can upgrade to is a C2Q (core 2 quad) like the Q6600, but in all honesty, thats still 3 generations old. Its time to get a socket LGA1155 (Intel) motherboard or socket AM3+ (AMD) motherboard.

With the AMD side of things someone else like Rampage hopefully speaks up, but I recommend an FX 8350 processor.

If you choose to go Intel, the i5 K-series processors are where its at. i5’s in theory are what run GW2 the best when they are overclocked to 4.5+Ghz.

Primary Guild: Testing Eternity [TE]
Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

Serophous.9085

Your current processor is a socket LGA 775, in terms of computers, this is 3+ generations old. The best you can upgrade to is a C2Q (core 2 quad) like the Q6600, but in all honesty, thats still 3 generations old. Its time to get a socket LGA1155 (Intel) motherboard or socket AM3+ (AMD) motherboard.

With the AMD side of things someone else like Rampage hopefully speaks up, but I recommend an FX 8350 processor.

If you choose to go Intel, the i5 K-series processors are where its at. i5’s in theory are what run GW2 the best when they are overclocked to 4.5+Ghz.

ok, so upgrade the motherboard, gotcha. And yeah, prob gonna go with intel. This is probably going to change my ram, isnt it?

Chobits.2430

I would need your current system specifications in order to provide detailed input on what your system supports, but you may be able to replace the current CPU with another, faster Socket 775 Intel CPU. However, it is a very old (by technology standards), obsolete platform and any upgrade probably will not garner much performance increase in GW2 and certainly will not come close to an i5 in performance.

If you want an i5-2500K, you are really looking at a whole new computer. You may be able to salvage some of your current system components but honestly it would probably be better to get all new hardware.

Chobits.2430

For a new computer you are looking at faster, high capacity ram than was is in your current computer.

It is common for new computers to have DDR3-1333, DDR3-1600 or faster ram which is much faster than is what is in your old computer.

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

ok, so upgrade the motherboard, gotcha. And yeah, prob gonna go with intel. This is probably going to change my ram, isnt it?

Yeah, from the LGA775 days and the current generation hardware, the RAM standards have changed from DDR2 to DDR3. I recommend at least 8GB of RAM at 1600Mhz or higher.

PS: I don’t know if you are interested in waiting or must upgrade immediately, but the next generation CPUs from Intel debut in early June.

Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

(edited by Ilithis Mithilander.3265)

Serophous.9085

hm, i may be able to wait, and then the previous generation may go on sale. I can see the next gen in June will probably be expensive.

Guess I’m off to budget myself. Thanks all

Posted by: Rampage.7145

Rampage.7145

U are looking for a whole new build my friend, may be u can tell us ur actual specifications, video card, hardrive, PSU, u can probably salvage something in order to save some money. Also how much u are willing to pay in order to upgrade ur system, with all that information we will hopefully help u getting the best deal for the money.

Serophous.9085

pretty much this:
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/asus-essentio-cm5570-ap002/4507-3118_7-33699649.html

the only difference is i am using a ATI Radeon HD 4550 video card

money wise, probably between 400-600 dollars, depends on how well ebay sales go XD

Rampage.7145

Well i think u can sell it for arround 200/250$ asus makes quality stuff ppl like it, so even while being old i think u will find a buyer. I would definitelly try to sell it instead salvaging any part from it, cuz it would, most likelly cripple ur new build. For 600-700$ u can probably get smth like this, it won’t be fancy but it will be functional for modern gaming.

Intel
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Dx3s
AMD
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DxdF

So basically equivalent systems AMD is a bit cheaper, also offers 8 cores (which is kitten for the price), intel offers lower power consumption and overall better single thread performance, for games that is actually nice, GW2 for example. I’d say intel would be beter for only gaming system while AMD will be better for computing in general streaming, encoding, editing videos stuff like that, 8 core AMD offers more raw computing power while and intel offers single core efficience.

Serophous.9085

Well i think u can sell it for arround 200/250$ asus makes quality stuff ppl like it, so even while being old i think u will find a buyer. I would definitelly try to sell it instead salvaging any part from it cuz it would most likelly cripple ur new build. For 600-700$ u can probably get smth like this, it won’t be fancy but it will be functional for modern gaming.

Intel
AMD

So basically equivalent systems AMD is a bit cheaper, also offers 8 cores (which is kitten for the price), intel offers lower power consumption and overall better single thread performance, for games that is actually nice, GW2 for example. I’d say intel would be beter for only gaming system while AMD will be better for computing in general streaming, encoding, eidting videos stuff like that, 8 core AMD offers more raw computing power while and intel offers single core efficience.

hm, ok. But how bout upgradability for later in the future?

Rampage.7145

For upgradability i think AMD wins, intel socked is dead this year while AMD will be using that socked for 1 or 2 generations still. I don’t think waiting for haswell will also be a good idea since is 4 months away and for what i read it won’t offer significant single thread performance imporvment over ivy or sandy. The huge leap on haswell will be on the GPU side not the CPU which is not very exciting for desktop gamers.
Games will be more multicore friendly in the near future since new gen consoles will be rocking 8core CPUs so i see AMd platform more future prof at this price point cuz intel offers less cores and no significant upgradability on 1155 socket.
In the other hand intel plays better ancient dual core, game engine based titles GW2 or skyrim about 30% more frames at same clock speeds, while it is on par with AMD on more advanced multicore engine, titles like Crisis 3 or BF3 are based on.

(edited by Rampage.7145)

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Well i think u can sell it for arround 200/250$ asus makes quality stuff ppl like it, so even while being old i think u will find a buyer. I would definitelly try to sell it instead salvaging any part from it cuz it would most likelly cripple ur new build. For 600-700$ u can probably get smth like this, it won’t be fancy but it will be functional for modern gaming.

Intel
AMD

So basically equivalent systems AMD is a bit cheaper, also offers 8 cores (which is kitten for the price), intel offers lower power consumption and overall better single thread performance, for games that is actually nice, GW2 for example. I’d say intel would be beter for only gaming system while AMD will be better for computing in general streaming, encoding, eidting videos stuff like that, 8 core AMD offers more raw computing power while and intel offers single core efficience.

hm, ok. But how bout upgradability for later in the future?

Personally, the way Intel works and the way I purchase a computer, its a rebuild every time for me. Between me buying higher end parts which would result in marginal at best upgrade paths, and the way Intel switches sockets every other year, makes it not worth upgrading. For example, my previous computer was a LGA 775, and by the time I needed a refresh LGA 1156 and LGA 1366 were out. My next computer will be a rebuild since LGA 1366 does not exist anymore and will most likely be when Broadwell comes out in 2014 on a LGA 1150 or LGA 2011 if its still around (doubtful).

AMD though has a much better track record for having compatibility between upgrades. Rampage should be able to give a good idea what the available paths are for AMD right now.

Edit: Rampage beat me to responding D=

Chloe (Version 3):

Serophous.9085

hm, ok, so i should just go with the amd one for now, so later on i can upgrade

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

hm, ok, so i should just go with the amd one for now, so later on i can upgrade

With your budget of 400-600 dollars, you can get an Intel CPU/Mobo/RAM, but it requires some slick deals and a Microcenter nearby. I was able to pull off a 550 dollar build with a bundled EVGA X58 FTW3-SLI (etc etc etc) and some 6GB GSkill RAM, then took a roadtrip to Microcenter for my i7 930 water cooled on a Corsair H50. However, that was a once in a blue moon deal. I was patient and pounced at the right time and was able to salvage everything from my old tower besides my CPU/RAM/Mobo.

I’d recommend an AMD build with your budget if you don’t want to salvage your video card, power supply, hard drives, etc from your old computer.

Chloe (Version 3):

Rampage.7145

Well yeah if u plan to upgrade the CPU in the next 2 years, get the FX 6300 (six core) it is as fast as 8 core CPUs in games overclock as high and cost 130$ it is the best bang for the buck CPU on the market atm. I would only get the 8 core CPU if i wasn’t planning on upgrade to next gen, or if i do a lot video edit, 3d rendering (which is something i do) stuff like that, for gaming it is kind of overkill atm.
So basically get 8core if u plan to skip the next CPU gen, or the 6 core if u plan to upgrade to the new architecture when it comes out.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DxEG
It is actually 590$ build using the 6core CPU instead 8core.

Serophous.9085

ok, that seems a lot more in my budget. though, i assume from that site, i have to build myself? Would be my first time XD

Rampage.7145

It is not hard dude, just watch a couple of tutorials in youtube, only thing u have to be carefull is grounding yourself to get rid of the static, it is also important not touching the motherboard or the videocard more than strictly neccesary, once u build ur first system u never go back to prebuilt hehehe, it is kinda fun and also a lot cheaper. Most cheap prebuilt systems uses low quality components, everything i linked for u is high quality and recomended not only by me but all over the internet u can check the reviews out if u want.
Also after building it yourself u can properlly clean it do regular mantaniance inside the case reapply thermal paste clean dust all that. I known so many ppl who gives me money to diagnose their hardware issues, ppl who complaian about the PC being slow or shutting down, 90% of the time occurs due dust or bad cooling i feel almost stealing their money lol.

(edited by Rampage.7145)

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

ok, that seems a lot more in my budget. though, i assume from that site, i have to build myself? Would be my first time XD

Building your own computer really isn’t as bad as it sounds. Its basically like adult legos. Plus there are a lot of resources out there that show you what slot is what and what goes where. I built my first computer when I was in middle school. I was fed up with sharing the computer with the rest of my family, so I built my own rig. I told my mom it was a 1000 dollar learning experience. To this day I was so happy I decided to do that. Its a great hobby and its always nice to have a person around to troubleshoot a PC problem.

Chloe (Version 3):

Serophous.9085

ok, thanks all! now i just need to earn the money XD

Posted by: Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

as others have said, for upgrade path, intel is almost always a dead end now if you dont plan to upgrade within the same your you buy(like my buddy who got an uber low end chip then 3 months later saved enough to get high end)

for AMD you can get alot more bang for your buck, now, theres 2 trains of thought here, depends on your budget you could go

FM2 socket, with an a10 and use the APU video till you save more to get a real card, the good part about that is the fact you endup with backup video built in, the bad part is, you max at 4 cores for now.

AM3+ You can get up to 8 cores now, but could also get a 6 core a bit cheaper and upgrade to the 8 core later, but you also need a videocard.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DyjB

thats a bit over your budget, but would give you the best value for close to your budget

another option would be
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Dyop

going lower on videocard could save a few bucks but would also be noticeably slower.

also note both of these builds would allow you to add a 2nd videocard to boost performance at a later date.

on the 2nd one you could forgo the videocard all togather then save up and get a 7870xt (Best band for teh buck card out there at the moment) the cpu on both are highly overclockable.

I could do some more tweaking as well depends on how much you save up.

IF possible reuse your current videocard in the first build, save up and get that 7870xt for best results.

not sure if your videocards pci-e or agp though since I have seen some weird systems from oem’s that even last gen c2d/c2q with agp cards(wtf!!!)

AMD FX-8350@4.8ghz on air(SilverArrowSB-E Extreme) , 32gb 1866mhz(10-11-10 cr1)
PCP&C 1200watt TC, Crosshair V F-Z, Sapphire 290x