100% CPU usage

100% CPU usage

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Afflicted.5432

Afflicted.5432

i was playing gw2 for a few hours and then my game minimized and my norton internet securitey popped up saying guild wars 2 performance warning 100% CPU usage is there a fix for this if so can some one please help ^^

100% CPU usage

Posted by: King Doofus.6158

King Doofus.6158

From what i have read this game is CPU intensive. What CPU are you using?

Do you have any other background applications open you could close? (although this would impact memory more than CPU)

100% CPU usage

Posted by: Afflicted.5432

Afflicted.5432

im runing an intel core i5 2500k not overclocked just stock settings and i have 8 gigs of desktop memory

100% CPU usage

Posted by: Zelta.6829

Zelta.6829

Check task manager, are all the cores running at 100%? There might be a lot of background programs using CPU power.

100% CPU usage

Posted by: Amarinth.8534

Amarinth.8534

Hmm, odd. My i5 2500k @ stock only goes upto about 70-80% in GW2, but that is with nothing else intensive running at the same time.

Perhaps Norton was running an automatically scheduled scan at the same time – that could easily push the total useage upto 100% and would also explain why Norton was complaining about the high useage since it probably wanted to use more CPU power but couldn’t because it was competing with GW2.

I personally have most scheduled / automatic updater stuff turned off and do things manually since I don’t like them interfering with my game performance. In general 100% useage isn’t anything to worry about as long as your CPU cooler and case airflow are sufficient enough to keep the CPU from overheating at max load. Very likely though with both GW2 and something else pushing in the background game performance will have suffered a bit.

100% CPU usage

Posted by: Zelta.6829

Zelta.6829

Personally I would go for zonealarm and an AV program (Avira, AVG etc). Although Norton has come a long way in terms of performances/lag, it still does some stupid stuff in the background.

100% CPU usage

Posted by: muslumgurseks.4951

muslumgurseks.4951

Personally I would go for zonealarm and an AV program (Avira, AVG etc). Although Norton has come a long way in terms of performances/lag, it still does some stupid stuff in the background.

Exactly what I think about Norton have free whenever I receive a free nortong package I always give them to other family members who even get freaked by the name virus lulz… Try another AV will prolly fix the issue

X99 Deluxe / i7 5820k @4.5 /980ti KPE @1550/ Rog Swift / 16gb DDR4 /Custom Loop

100% CPU usage

Posted by: tbrunt.8036

tbrunt.8036

Norton New suite is a very good program all you have to do is go to settings>slient> how much time you like .It will fix the problem.

100% CPU usage

Posted by: tbrunt.8036

tbrunt.8036

i was playing gw2 for a few hours and then my game minimized and my norton internet securitey popped up saying guild wars 2 performance warning 100% CPU usage is there a fix for this if so can some one please help ^^

There a easy fix for this. Go to settings tab>place in the slient tab box ,set it for the amount of time you like to play. What that does is stop the background tasks that Norton does (You are still protected).
Hope this helps

100% CPU usage

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

The CPU being at 100% isn’t really anything to worry about. However, what you need to worry about is temperature.

If you have a temperature monitor, you can check this easily. If not, get one.

If you have only the stock Intel fan, you may want to upgrade.

100% CPU usage

Posted by: Smackjack.5071

Smackjack.5071

Ironically it is more likely to be Norton that pushes that last 20 odd percent to the max.